Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car insurance experts - advice please

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm getting a new car tomorrow and have been put onto BMW insurance as they offer 7 days free fully comprehensive and will pass the details onto the dealer allowing them to tax the vehicle on my behalf.

Now, of course what it is all about is giving them the opportunity to sell me an ongoing policy and, of course, I'm happy to listen if it will save me money.

I've been a named driver on another policy for some years and, as such, do not have any no claims discount of my own. I was intending to start my insurance from scratch this time round to build up my own NCD finally.

The best quote I got online (via the excellent confused.com) was about £850.

However, BMW insurance have come up with a proposal which, financially at least, sounds great. But, being frank, it sounds too good to be true which means it might be.

My partner has her own insurance, she has 9 years+ NCD and pays £280 per year currently.

BMW have suggested I can 'inherit' her NCD which would mean my insurance would be £470 for the year, and my partner's insurance would be £218 for a year. A huge saving all round. They claim if we walk away at the end of the year we will each get notes saying we have full NCD.

Again - it all sounds too good to be true. Anyone in the industry or with some knowledge of this at all?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i'm no expert, but if that's their offer, get them to put it in writing and surely you're ok.

i can see the logic as it helps them shift cars....

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sounds good for the first year, but what premiums and NCDs would you both get in subsequent years?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I used to work in Insurance and there's no real legal thing preventing companies doing this, its just a bit cheeky and is not really the done thing. In all honesty even if they only give one of you full NCD at the end of the year, you'll still be better of with the NCD in your name as your missus will probably get a much better quote with 0 NCD than you anyway!

From someone who used to run a branch of a national insurance company i'd say take their offer!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Get a quote from Paul Scully in Peacehaven. He's saved me a fortune over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here