Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car Insurance cost

alanfp

Feb 23, 2024
Remember that rather than have just yourself as a driver, it usually decreases your premium if you add another driver (provided they have a clean insurance record). They don't have to live with you or be related to you. It's illogical but that's how it is.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Just to buck the price increase trend. No1 son recently passed his test and to put him as a named driver on my policy cost £1050 for the year. Now No.2 son has just turned 17 so thinking it was going to be telephone numbers to put him on my policy as well as a provisional licence holder the policy actually decreased to £455! wtf! How does that work? Think I've found a glitch in the Matrix.
It’s because son No 1 can drive unaccompanied but son No 2 can only drive as a learner with a qualified driver unfortunately. I’m going through the process of renewing my daughter’s second year of having a full driving licence now. Last year it was about £1k with Tesco Box for 6000 miles a year. Latest quotes for renewing in mid/late June are about £1,100 for 10,000 miles a year but I’ve noticed lots of caveats - some companies are now excluding windscreen replacement cover for example.

Edit. Does that price reduction still include son no 1 though? If so that is wierd!!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Based on my 2 kids over the past couple of years the learner insurance is ~10% of what the policy costs after passing.

I paid for their first year policy so they could gain some NCB and my eldest (daughter) is now paying £6XX vs £26XX in year 3 vs year 1

JamieR

Jan 25, 2020
It’s because son No 1 can drive unaccompanied but son No 2 can only drive as a learner with a qualified driver unfortunately. I’m going through the process of renewing my daughter’s second year of having a full driving licence now. Last year it was about £1k with Tesco Box for 6000 miles a year. Latest quotes for renewing in mid/late June are about £1,100 for 10,000 miles a year but I’ve noticed lots of caveats - some companies are now excluding windscreen replacement cover for example.

Edit. Does that price reduction still include son no 1 though? If so that is wierd!!
Includes all of us.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Car insurance has gone up a lot . Best to shop around but be careful you are using a reputable insurer that will pay out if needed . Check ‘ Which ‘ for unbiased ratings & reviews .
Indeed. A company I was going to go with was very cheap. Then I read the reviews.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here