Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

car hire in USA

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
anyone have any experience?

i need to get from austin, tx to nashville, tennessee and quite fancy the drive. can't find anyone that will let me drop off in a different location at the moment though.. would be good if its someone that people have experience of and know they're decent too!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
sweet, thanks.

i just looked on lastminute and its £57 for what i want, but a $300 one way charge!!

thinking of flying into nashville then driving to austin and back, then back out of nashville.......

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Look into some moving companys.

Some people let you drive there car from one state to another if they are moving, the best part is ts free.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Haven't a clue how old you are, but I went to the states in 91 for a "lads holiday", there were five of us and we intended to share the driving, but only two of us were old enough to hire a car and only muggins had the nous to bring his driving licence...would have been right up the creek otherwise, with not a paddle in sight.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Gully said:
Haven't a clue how old you are, but I went to the states in 91 for a "lads holiday", there were five of us and we intended to share the driving, but only two of us were old enough to hire a car and only muggins had the nous to bring his driving licence...would have been right up the creek otherwise, with not a paddle in sight.

Same sort of thing happened to us, ended up getting train - turned out better anyhow!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
In 91 I would have been 25, which I have a sneaking suspicion was the minimum age required by the car hire company we were with, only one other member of the group was older than me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Gully said:
In 91 I would have been 25, which I have a sneaking suspicion was the minimum age required by the car hire company we were with, only one other member of the group was older than me.

2005 you could be 21 but you had to pay a shit load untill you were 25.

Something like triple the amount

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Raphael Meade said:
sweet, thanks.

i just looked on lastminute and its £57 for what i want, but a $300 one way charge!!

thinking of flying into nashville then driving to austin and back, then back out of nashville.......

it's got to be the thick end of 1000 miles each way. That's 18 hours driving each way - i'd spend the $300 if it were me.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some companies operate a kind of courier service, where cars that have already been dropped off somewhere by someone need to be driven back to their point of origin. They've been known to do pretty good deals if you're able to be flexible and are going where they need you to go.

It might be worth trying a few of the usual suspects (Alamo, Dollar, etc) to see if they have anything like that going.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The rental car business is a pimple on the side of the air travel industry, and they really can't be arsed to do point-to-point rentals. Everything revolves around a.) airports and b.) loaners -- paid for by insurance companies -- during repairs.

Enterprise has been the most flexible, but no one will touch an under 25, male driver.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Kinky Gerbils said:
2005 you could be 21 but you had to pay a shit load untill you were 25.

Something like triple the amount

Yep, thats what we found. You could hire a car over 21 but you had to pay something stupid per day in premiums.

What we did find though was that if you had someone over 25 and paid for the full insurance that allowed an extra driver, the extra driver could be under 25 for no extra cost. Worked out much cheaper.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
usrentacar.co.uk - they will undercut Alamo but give you Alamo vehicles. They won't add for one way hire either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here