Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car boot sales?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Been clearing out the doug this week and have loads of tat to get shot of. mainly old toys, kids clothesd (some new), old computer games & tat like that. Would take an age to sort for ebay so, are there any car boot sales around the Brighton area?

I've looked on the Argus site, found nothing (of course)

I'm not interested in making a bomb, just a fun few hours and making enough for a few beers.

Any advice on car boot etiquette also appreciated.

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
There is a massive one every sunday just by the shaves thatch pub, by poynings on the way into henfield. it pisses me off everytime i drive by it and having to queue for so long

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hasnt the one from the Train Station on Sunday moved to the Marina.

Also there is one at Carden School on sundays.

Big one on the A264 between Crawley and Horsham cant remember if Sats or Sun that one.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks but i think I am more small fry than that. Only have small car and don't want to be competing at a big event whith dealers and probably a fair whack for the pitch.

Appreciate the reply though.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Carden School one then old chap its not that big...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
the shoreham 1 near the airport just as you go over the river toward lancing on the right,saturdays.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
the BHASVIC may be going, sat/sun mornings i think (i did one a few years ago, mind..)

the smart people queued up v v early in the upper drive, just up from old shoreham road) - rather then join the lemmimgs in main college carpark..
the people running it gave us a tag for 'priority' entry, and we drove round to the lower carpark in convoy, and straight in!

tried to carden school one once, a bit treicky if your car is heavily loaded / has low suspension, as going over some rough patches on the field..

tell any snoopers (ie traders) early on to feck of, til you are set up- best price things reasonably, and clearly.

take plenty carry bags, change, and a large plastic sheet / similar to cover up your goodies, in case it rains.

and a book / deckchair, or a cushion. it can get very boring, waiting for someone to come and buy your tat..

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Last year I did about 6 car boot sales to raise money for charidee.

BHASVIC and Brighton station is where we went most of the time. We also did one in Lewes. Brighton Station one is now at The Marina.

You see the same people trying to buy stuff every time, and they always try to haggle you down before youve even set up

If people try to lower your price, you may as well just try get rid of it, otherwise you end up with a load of stuff you were trying to get rid of

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks all for that sound advice. I've found a website for the BASVIC and looks good but what time should we get there and which is the better day out of Sat/Sun?

I've seen the carden one before but can't find any details.

As for pricing, it's all tat to me so, for most bits, it'll be whatever I can get. Am not the most patient of people if someone decides to get nosey or hassle me.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
one lasy tried it on regarding an item (old clock i think), i told her no way..
she went off in a huff, and sent her kid back, to try again..

neither got it, and i sold it later for the full asking price!

always be willing to barter, especially nearer closing time- you dont want to hump the stuff home again, do you?

job lots are good too- box of books, or lp's etc - for a few quid?

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
Thanks all for that sound advice. I've found a website for the BASVIC and looks good but what time should we get there and which is the better day out of Sat/Sun?

I've seen the carden one before but can't find any details.

As for pricing, it's all tat to me so, for most bits, it'll be whatever I can get. Am not the most patient of people if someone decides to get nosey or hassle me.

carden one is very average, mostly get people from the estate there, basvic is best on sunday, as its a known fact that more people go to car boots on a sun..my advice is get there as early as you can. you get a better spot for your pitch, also your get dealers,other stall holders snooping about when you start to unpack...tell them you got nothing of value..do not sell anything to em, they will just put it on their stall for more than what they brought it off you for...keep an eye out for the weather this weekend ..prospects dont look too good...good luck with it all, by the way, not advising you to do this but your prob have some stuff left over, well most people just leave it outside any charity shop !!!!

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
What Wideguy said about snoopers when unpacking your stuff is true.

I did one a good few years ago and when we pulled up they were on us like fuckin' vultures. We hadn't even got out of the car and they had their noses pressed against the windows. We opened the boot and they were straight in like a pack of wild dogs.

They dont give a toss and are as bold as anything !

Maybe we had an exceptionally bad experience. But once they f***ed off, without any of our stuff, we set up and had a fun day... Earnt some beer money at least.

Just be prepared that you may need to tell a few people to f*** off right at the beginning.

Other than that...... Enjoy !:thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Been clearing out the doug this week and have loads of tat to get shot of. mainly old toys, kids clothesd (some new), old computer games & tat like that. Would take an age to sort for ebay so, are there any car boot sales around the Brighton area?

I've looked on the Argus site, found nothing (of course)

I'm not interested in making a bomb, just a fun few hours and making enough for a few beers.

Any advice on car boot etiquette also appreciated.
Quote: Jeff 62 year old regular at my pub...."(the people at) car boot sales are just scum selling each other shit!"

:lol:

Boot fairs have their good points and occasional bads.

I like to take my time, chat a bit, and have a relaxing time at boot fairs.
Getting there early is okay, but often means a mad 'January Sales' rush with the desperate types diving in for the best items. But I've found great stuff just browsing and taking my time.

My p/c screen is a flat-screen monitor that I got for £12 - and it's almost new!
The seller got a laptop so didn't need it anymore. I got that price because I mentioned how reluctant I am with tech goods second hand, with no way to test it.
He even gave me his card for return if it didn't work! It works perfectly. :clap2:

At the same boot-fair though, I was browsing through a box of records and some twat tutting behind me. When I pulled one LP out to look at it, he basically pushed past me and delved into the box. I said I wasn't finished there, and he said "yes you are"!
His arse was almost sent sprawling as I swept him out of my way with a "HOP IT!"
When I was through, he still squeeked some facetious sarcasm about "are you finished", which only prompted me to tell him "next time you wait". Cheeky c***, and the opportunity to bitch-slap some twerp is not why I spend a Sunday morning poking through used gear.

Quote: Jeff 62 year old regular at my pub...."(the people at) car boot sales are just scum selling each other shit!"

:lol:

Wow, pretty harsh indictment from Jeff!

I have some friends who are quite well off, who sell off designer and quality items at boots. Some do it for a hobby, or to have a banter sharing a table with a mate, and get a coffee and danish on the way home afterwards.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What Wideguy said about snoopers when unpacking your stuff is true.

I did one a good few years ago and when we pulled up they were on us like fuckin' vultures. We hadn't even got out of the car and they had their noses pressed against the windows. We opened the boot and they were straight in like a pack of wild dogs.

They dont give a toss and are as bold as anything !

Maybe we had an exceptionally bad experience. But once they f***ed off, without any of our stuff, we set up and had a fun day... Earnt some beer money at least.

Just be prepared that you may need to tell a few people to f*** off right at the beginning.

Other than that...... Enjoy !:thumbsup:

This has always happened to me, set a price on main items prior to going and try to not to go below that before being set up (while these types try and rip you off for your best gear) this way you do not feel so abused by them.

Once your set up its just the general pulic so sell anything for what you are offered. Take change and enjoy counting your piles of coins afterwoods.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
All sounds pretty encouraging. Will not be doing it this weeked as forecast is poor and a lot of the stuff needs a bit of dusting off.

My lad has set up the SNES and currently playing 'Kevin Keegan, Football manager', classic!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here