Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Captains Armband

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I liked the way he took "full responsibility" foir the team's performance after the Huddersfield game. I can't remember an Albion captain doing anything like that in recent years.

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
doesn't talk enough in my opinion need someone with a big mouth who isnt afraid to use it when needed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've seen nothing in Virgo's play to make me think he isn't the right choice for the armband. (Sorry for the double negative there). I did see him geeing up other players, indulge in plenty of verbals and lead from the front from right-back - if you get my drift.

He is one of the few players last season who came out of last season with some credit for playing with pride and passion, and for not cheating the shirt - even if the manager took the piss out of his commitment by playing him on the right wing.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't see why not. He is Albion through and through, and I'd guess he's respected by the other players.

This stuff about needing to shout alot is good in park football but irrelevant at professional level. At that standard they should all be shouting and communicating

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
He's a bit quiet on the park, can't think of anyone else in the team as captain though. Elphick's too young and Kuipers is too mad!

It's a shared responsibility, on match day.
All very well one bloke saying he shoulders it for all 11, but when we lose - every individual has to take it on board and accept that they are part of the losing parcel.

The Captain should be holding everyone responsible too.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Isn't it all just symbolic in football these days anyway?

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Depends who's wearing the armband and how he motivates and organises on the pitch. For me Virgo is not a captain, but I do not see an alternative.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Virgo shouldn't be captain based on his performances against Stockport and Huddersfield
he should be leading by example, but at Huddersfield only El Abd was worse on the pitch and Stockport he was probably the worst player on the pitch.

He isn't vocal enough either, even Navarro speaks more than Virgo.
It's not a bad move, but I think we should have stuck with the guile and experience of Forster

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Virgo shouldn't be captain based on his performances against Stockport and Huddersfield
he should be leading by example, but at Huddersfield only El Abd was worse on the pitch and Stockport he was probably the worst player on the pitch.

He isn't vocal enough either, even Navarro speaks more than Virgo.
It's not a bad move, but I think we should have stuck with the guile and experience of Forster

Eh?

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
He was terrible, yes he was playing right back, but he was always out of position, and too slow at getting back.

Also he wasted our only chance on goal at 3-2 down by floating a central direct free kick from 20 yards out straight into the East Stand

That free kick was very un-Virg's like, I was surprised when he didn't go for the signature piledriver.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think he's a good captain, it seems like he actually cares.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Hawkins for me, he is a leader.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
not ideal becuase it means, just like last season, he will always be picked if fit. he's also a donkey. sorry virgs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here