• Rooney

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
following on from pervious threads and the hate this board apparently has for arguably england's best centre back john terry, who would you like to see cappello pick our new captain?
:)

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Good centre back yes, but the worst England captain ever. representes everything that is wrong with football at the moment. Demands to be the highest paid player, berates referees and sits back and allows his team mates to dive all over the place.

I honestly haven't a clue who else I would want as England captain. This is how low our game has sunk.

Can we have a foreign captain too?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Carlo Cudicini... he can play for England now can't he?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It's hard to say because at the moment NO ONE is an automatic pic. Maybe Fabio will wait to decide, see the players first hand, have Beckham captain them for his 100th cap? Then appoint a permanent captain for the next game.

Personally I don't think Terry is that bad. He's vocal on the pitch which not many of them are, he is brave, puts his body on the line for the team.

For attitude and application you couldn't get much better than Hargreaves.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Can only really see Hargreaves as a serious option, and even that is begrudgingly.

Goes to show how entirely aimless we've become.

Perhaps if Gerrard improved his England form he'd be a contender

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Personally I dont like defenders being Captain, Gerrard gets it for me but thats only if Capello can bring out his Liverpool desire to win in an England shirt....if not the scouse git can f*** off!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Gareth Barry, captain of his club team and working under one of the best managers in the game, I expect him to raise his game in the next couple of years and see him approaching the peak of his career as one of the most influential players in the country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Barry, Gerrard or, if he is going to be a regular feature, Campbell.

im quite shoocked that anyone would consider Ferdinand captain material, the only leadership he ever shows is when choosing which bar to go to.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Gareth Barry, captain of his club team and working under one of the best managers in the game, I expect him to raise his game in the next couple of years and see him approaching the peak of his career as one of the most influential players in the country.

However, if the manager is only going to play one defensive midfielder, that is likely to be Hargreaves, so not sure where Barry then fits in. Ashley Cole is a better left back than him and Joe Cole has done well on the left of midfield.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good centre back yes, but the worst England captain ever. representes everything that is wrong with football at the moment. Demands to be the highest paid player, berates referees and sits back and allows his team mates to dive all over the place.

I honestly haven't a clue who else I would want as England captain. This is how low our game has sunk.

Can we have a foreign captain too?

Spot on about Terry there old chap.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hargreaves is one of the more articulate players in the squad, he was outstanding in the World Cup and has been sorely missed in recent matches. I don't think there will be too many complaints if he got the job.

The interesting thing about him is that if he did get the job the only way Gerrard and Lampard could both play is if we employed a 4-5-1 system, but experience tells us that Michael Owen doesn't play well on his own.

The other interesting point is that club colleague Michael Carrick is one of the most effective English midfielders at keeping the ball and playing accurate passes.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The problem I have with Hargreaves as captain is that I have not seen enough of him to make a judgement one way or the other. He was good in the World Cup but hasn't played much since - for United or England - and when he has has been a bit anonymous doing nothing wrong but nothing special either. Did he ever captain Bayern?

The only person I could choose with any confidence would be Beckham, but his playing days are nearly at an end.

I wouldn't object to Rio who, regardless of any supposed off-field activities always shows passion and fight on the field. Witness his gentle words of 'advice' to van der Sar on Sunday! Unfortunately you can class him in the same bracket as Terry when it comes to words of 'advice' to referees!

Gerrard? I would have him in the team but he doesn't inspire me as a captain.

Barry? Would also have him in the team and definitely think that he can be a future skipper if he gets a run in the team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe Fabio will wait to decide, see the players first hand, have Beckham captain them for his 100th cap? Then appoint a permanent captain for the next game.

So the England captaincy should now be handed around like a sentimentel commerorative baubel for special occasions ? Kind of like one of those tacky "40 TODAY !" birthday badges that dangles limply off the lapel of a sad old has-been who's desperately trying to convince himself his life isn't already as good as over ?

Beckham shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the England squad in February. He cashed in those chips when He disappeared off into the BK Whopper Rodeo Premier Division. Add in the fact that the new season doesn't even start till April over there (so His Royal Beckness won't have kicked a ball in anger for nye on 4 months by the time the Switzerland game comes round), and its a nonsense.

If Capello somehow see's fit to play that catwalk clothes horse in February, let alone hand him the armband, I will have severe misgivings over his early judgement, and may have to brand him henceforth as Fabio Crapello.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
So the England captaincy should now be handed around like a sentimentel commerorative baubel for special occasions ? Kind of like one of those tacky "40 TODAY !" birthday badges that dangles limply off the lapel of a sad old has-been who's desperately trying to convince himself his life isn't already as good as over ?

Beckham shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the England squad in February. He cashed in those chips when He disappeared off into the BK Whopper Rodeo Premier Division. Add in the fact that the new season doesn't even start till April over there (so His Royal Beckness won't even had kicked a ball in anger for nye on 4 months by the time the Switzerland game comes round), and its a nonsense.

If Capello somehow see's fit to play that catwalk clothes horse in February, let alone hand him the armband, I will have severe misgivings over his early judgement, and may have to brand him henceforth as Fabio Crapello.

Alternatively he gives Beckham the 100th cap in February and then gives him the ultimatium along the lines of if you want to extend your international career you get yourself playing for a European club until the next World Cup.

Currently Beckham still has something to offer the squad, however all the time he is playing in the USA that something will become less.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I reckon Hargreaves would make a good caption. God help us if Ferdinand gets anywhere near the job

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
im quite shoocked that anyone would consider Ferdinand captain material, the only leadership he ever shows is when choosing which bar to go to.

Quite. He must be one of the players most in danger of the chop - he's decidedly not Capello's type of player at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here