Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

capital punishment

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Presumably you would also bring back the rope for anyone who kills another person through speeding in a car, or by using a mobile phone whilst driving and killing someone as a result. It would certainly act as a deterrent.

What a pointless post. Well done in rebutting my commets!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are lies, damned lies, and statistics...but for those of you engaged in the "does the death penalty act as a deterrent?" debate, these are quite interesting (relates to the USA, obviously, as I haven't found any stats for England & Wales thus far).

murderratesDP&NDP.jpg

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What a ridiculous thread - advocating the death penalty on the day our law enforcement agency aka the police, admit to fabricating the true picture of crime in this country. Ow the irony!!!!

It's precisely because we get sentances wrong that hanging was abolished. Thank f*** our justice ministers don't listen to knee-jerk reactions everytime a crime of this nature is committed. We'd end up like Iraq.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From what I do know of stats relating to the UK- the number of murders per annum has increased since abolition in 1965, but then so has the UK population (as well as becoming more diverse, creating further potential for conflict between people).

I don't know if the murder rate per head of the population is much different, and it still remains lower than most places.

People who are either unpleasant enough, or in a sufficiently wound up enough state to kill another human being, don't as a rule reckon on getting caught, hence I personally don't believe the prospect of being executed acts as much of a deterrent. If you're an 18 year old lad in, say, Croydon, having some kind of gang rivalry going, you don't stop at the point of stabbing somebody because you think "oh hang on, I might get the lethal injection for this", any more than you think "ooh, I might spend the next twenty years in prison". They just do it, sadly, and run.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I might well be flattering you here but if you're implying that state methods of war shouldn't be deployed at anything other than times of extreme threat to that state, then I'd entirely agree with you.

I'd agree with you MoH (though I realise you're humouring Simmo). Trouble with that approach is the rest of the world needs to sign up for it too. But 21 centuries of war on this planet with an upward trend in casalties is pretty damning evidence it'll not happen in our lifetimes! So armed forces we must have - to defend us against the forces of evil (H.O Croydon, UK).:love:

So there is no reason at all then. You cannot give me one good reason why he should not.

Yet I can give you a good reason why he should. If it deters just ONE, just ONE potential murderer then it is worth it. Because that is one innocent life saved.

BECAUSE THE LAW DOESN'T ALLOW IT.

Is that a good enough reason???????? because if it isn't I want to hear a better one.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Do you know any South Africans, why don't you ask them why they are over here. Have you ever been to South Africa? it is now the most violent country in the world, it wasn't always like that you know. Ask South Afircans what they think.

Yes, I go out with a South African girl.

She is over here because the prospects of getting work in South Africa as an young educated white person are fairly low.

I have been to South Africa and yes there is a feeling of being more on edge.

But it is UTTER NONSENSE to blame the rise in murders SOLELY on the abolition of the death penalty.

I would put the blame more on the lack of development within many parts of the country, ethnic tensions between native South Africans and migrants from other parts of Africa - did you see the xenophobic violence earlier this year?

Politics, corruption and social problems are to blame for the violence in South Africa not something as trivial as the abolition of the death penalty.

I would wager that many criminals in South Africa would still carry out the same actions if there was the possibility of execution because frankly in many cases their lives are not worth living.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Why because you have no response to it.

I have given you my reasons for believing what I do. I have also told you why I believe that your reasons are not sufficient to justify the death penalty. Why can't you accept that?

We both know that we are not going to convince each other to change our opinions.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Just seen the full report on the news....cant believe this wanker only got 22 years!! He should serve his full sentence with the general prison population and not section 43. He shouldnt be allowed to escape on to the nonces wing. If he manages to survive his 22 years then hang the bastard.
We need to bring back capital punishment, corporal punishment and national service.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
There are lies, damned lies, and statistics...but for those of you engaged in the "does the death penalty act as a deterrent?" debate, these are quite interesting (relates to the USA, obviously, as I haven't found any stats for England & Wales thus far).

murderratesDP&NDP.jpg
Not sure. I would need a lot more data such as ethnic background, social classifications to include income and education, population densities, breakdown of murders by relationship of victim to murderer, etc. It may simply be that the states with the highest propensity to murder feel the need to impose the death sentence.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What a pointless post. Well done in rebutting my commets!

Explain why my post in pointless? I think that the death penalty for killing someone whilst on the phone in a car or speeding would act as a deterrent far more than the same punishment for murder.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
at rest 50 bpm , honestly ! and HT , you'e just as bitter and twisted as me just about different things !

...and when you're at the keyboard?

I'm not bitter or twisted. I had an epiphany in Germany......there is a difference. :)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
So there is no reason at all then. You cannot give me one good reason why he should not.

Yet I can give you a good reason why he should. If it deters just ONE, just ONE potential murderer then it is worth it. Because that is one innocent life saved.

What about the hundreds of people convicted of murder in this country and then acquitted due to new evidence? Are their innocent lives not worth saving?

One thing we can definitely thank parliament for is that they ignore idiots like you advocating the death penalty and avoid bringing it back. The death penalty would kill more innocent people than it would save in my opinion and makes the state as bad as murderers.

Also, on another note, we would have to leave the EU if it was decided to bring back this barbaric punishment. The EU constitution says all states must not have the death penalty.

I reckon we should have public hangings as thousands would turn up to see justice in action, if we hung Huntley can you imagine the crowd.

And I would buy a mobile burger van for such an event, I love the smell of free enterprise in the afternoon.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

murderratesDP&NDP.jpg

Edna what you would have to ask yourself on those stats is how high the death rate in those dark green states would be if they did NOT have the death penalty. Maybe because these states have always had the highest murder rate throughout history is exactly why that type of leglislation has been kept in.

I would like to add that I am not pro capital punishment but those figures may be misleading.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What about the hundreds of people convicted of murder in this country and then acquitted due to new evidence? Are their innocent lives not worth saving?

One thing we can definitely thank parliament for is that they ignore idiots like you advocating the death penalty and avoid bringing it back. The death penalty would kill more innocent people than it would save in my opinion and makes the state as bad as murderers.

Also, on another note, we would have to leave the EU if it was decided to bring back this barbaric punishment. The EU constitution says all states must not have the death penalty.

How many people were executed wrongly in this country ?

How many lifers came out and killed again ?

A ridiculous basis as to whether or not we have the death penalty.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I don't believe in the death penalty for various reasons. But that fucker should be locked up on his own in a 4 x 4 cell for the rest of his life. No tv, no news paper, and no one else to talk to. I hope what I hear about prison isn't true as it sounds like they get things they shouldn't ever deserve.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't believe in the death penalty for various reasons. But that fucker should be locked up on his own in a 4 x 4 cell for the rest of his life. No tv, no news paper, and no one else to talk to. I hope what I hear about prison isn't true as it sounds like they get things they shouldn't ever deserve.

I think thats about right and how most people feel.

The news that lifers are given such a cushy ride gives some sort of sympathetic backing to the hanging brigade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here