Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capello to be replaced by Schteve?...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Never go back

Especially when it was so crap first time round.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps but Brooking, nice man that he is, has been there a long time and as such must shoulder some of the blame as one of the guardians of the national game.

I totally disagree. His voice is pretty much the only voice for change in the FA, he has spelled out numerous times what he thinks is wrong and whilst he may have a little power within the FA, the FA does not have power or control (or the will) over the way elite young footballers are coached in England. Brooking does not possess the tools required for change, and neither does the body which employs him. What is it you expect him to do?

The minute any player shows promise they are snapped up by a professional club...and then totally under the control of that club. And how many years of evidence have we got to show that this does not work? Equally, there are numerous models on the continent which allow young elite players time under national association coaches..and it is no coincidence that these nations flourish.

All the while we have the Premier League, Football League and FA with different agendas and not working together nothing will get done. I mean, after the total shit house showing in the World Cup what has changed? Nothing. What has been said? Nothing. I really believe you need more people like me, not goons who turn up and support England blindly, shit tournament after shit tournament and lap it all up.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I totally disagree. His voice is pretty much the only voice for change in the FA, he has spelled out numerous times what he thinks is wrong and whilst he may have a little power within the FA, the FA does not have power or control (or the will) over the way elite young footballers are coached in England. Brooking does not possess the tools required for change, and neither does the body which employs him. What is it you expect him to do?

The minute any player shows promise they are snapped up by a professional club...and then totally under the control of that club. And how many years of evidence have we got to show that this does not work? Equally, there are numerous models on the continent which allow young elite players time under national association coaches..and it is no coincidence that these nations flourish.

All the while we have the Premier League, Football League and FA with different agendas and not working together nothing will get done. I mean, after the total shit house showing in the World Cup what has changed? Nothing. What has been said? Nothing. I really believe you need more people like me, not goons who turn up and support England blindly, shit tournament after shit tournament and lap it all up.

This.

After all on the continent everything is geared towards their national team. But not here.

Until that changes it will always be the same.

goatcher1981

Mar 1, 2010
I think this is a good idea, he was not experienced enough for the job first time round, since he has proven himself on the continent.

Although the wally with the brolly will live forever, unless dare I say he takes us to a Euro/World cup final.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
In narrow terms of the England managers job, if he has to be English we have:

Roy Hodgson: Great job at Fulham but faltering at his big chance (although one thinks most managers would struggle at Liverpool at the moment.

Big Sam: Good mid table manager who has never worked south of Birmingham.

Steve Bruce: Much the same as Big Sam

So one can see the case for McClaren, although personally I think he had his chance.

As said by others, the main problem is not coaching the kids though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My first thought is if there's going to be any talk of replacing Cappello then Martin O'Neill should be miles ahead of McLaren in the pecking order.

A lot of the talk of "we must have an English manager next time" is as a direct result of Cappello's piss-poor English. I don't give a monkeys what nationality the manager is as long as he can speak good English and is committed to the cause.

As for Brooking, he says the right things but doesn't have the clout or the support from his colleagues to get the vital changes made.

It's quite possible that directives passed down from UEFA about having a quota of home-grown players will make English clubs focus more on English youngsters, thereby achieving some of what the FA have been talking about but not doing for decades.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he was thrown into the job far too early last time and has done something no other english manager has - won a league. he is also getting experience in different countries which is something nobody, bar hodgson, has either

if he does well at wolfsburg then, coupled with his record at middlesbrough, he has to be seriously considered. especially with this ridiculious criteria of must be english

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In narrow terms of the England managers job, if he has to be English we have:

Roy Hodgson: Great job at Fulham but faltering at his big chance (although one thinks most managers would struggle at Liverpool at the moment.

Big Sam: Good mid table manager who has never worked south of Birmingham.

Steve Bruce: Much the same as Big Sam

So one can see the case for McClaren, although personally I think he had his chance.

As said by others, the main problem is not coaching the kids though.

You forget Harry Redknapp!

Purely on being English.

Oh and Tony Pulis.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
England will go be going backwards if Steve McClaren comes back to be coach of england and i thought we would look to move forward not with him .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
if he does well at wolfsburg then, coupled with his record at middlesbrough, he has to be seriously considered.

Why does he have to be "seriously considered"? He's done very little of note. One league cup and one minor league trophy is hardly a big deal? Martin O'Neill has certainly been more successful.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It would be foolish not to consider McLaren, his stock has been on the up and up since he left the England job and he is currently the most succesful English coach in management.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

All the while we have the Premier League, Football League and FA with different agendas and not working together nothing will get done. I mesan, after the total shit house showing in the World Cup what has changed? Nothing. What has been said? Nothing. I really believe you need more hel people like me, not goons who turn up and support England blindly, shit tournament after shit tournament and lap it all up.

I note you have ignored the main thrust of what I said which is what you have largely repeated. We'll have to disagree about Brooking. Whilst he may have argued for the things that I think we both would advocate, fundamental change to the way the game is coached, he must, as director of football be held accountable and regrettably, his reign has to go down as a failure along with his hapless colleagues at the FA. What English football needs is a figure like Michelle Platini who took on the old racist establishment of French football, transformed the way the game was being coached and laid the foundations for them to become successful. Who is the English Platini? It is not Trevor Brooking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here