Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can't use your Ajax ticket now? Let the club know and give someone else a chance...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If the club were to give refunds, then for future games everyone would know that they can buy a ticket and then get their money refunded if they aren't going to go.
You'd get loads more people buying tickets not sure they can go, with the knowledge that a refund will be available.
Refund only if it sells same as with season ticket returns.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Because if something comes up that means I'm unable to travel to Amsterdam in a few weeks' time, I absolutely want another Albion fan to be able to experience watching us play in Europe.

For my seat to remain empty because something has come up, would be terrible given how many people are desperate to go.

It's really not complicated.
So do I and that is not the issue... i would willingly give my ticket up if I can't make it..... (I wouldn't expect a refund either to be fair)

the issue I have is the " potential punishment" for non attendance that is associated (and the way it's perceived as almost like a "threat")

I don't think refunds should be given... as someone stated above in a previoust post this would encourage people to buy every ticket in top tier every game and just hand them out to anyone if they couldn't attend or then just dump them all back night before. this would also create a a "closed shop" at the top end of the loyalty scheme as no one would ever move from the top bracket as they buy the tickets every game. (which is what has happened at other clubs - west ham, Arsenal, Spurs - all have this problem... ) - I've come round from that idea.. I didn't agree initially but i do think it is fair to keep our scheme as fluid as possible and you can get in the top tier if you do the games and the miles... Stoke, nottingham on a midweek night, liverpool, manchester, newcastle - they are full on all day commitments and you do/should get rewarded for doing them iMO.

What i have an issue with is the "sanctions" part as a result of non attendance...... That really stinks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So do I and that is not the issue... i would willingly give my ticket up if I can't make it..... (I wouldn't expect a refund either to be fair)

the issue I have is the " potential punishment" for non attendance that is associated (and the way it's perceived as almost like a "threat")

I don't think refunds should be given... as someone stated above in a previoust post this would encourage people to buy every ticket in top tier every game and just hand them out to anyone if they couldn't attend or then just dump them all back night before. this would also create a a "closed shop" at the top end of the loyalty scheme as no one would ever move from the top bracket as they buy the tickets every game. (which is what has happened at other clubs - west ham, Arsenal, Spurs - all have this problem... ) - I've come round from that idea.. I didn't agree initially but i do think it is fair to keep our scheme as fluid as possible and you can get in the top tier if you do the games and the miles... Stoke, nottingham on a midweek night, liverpool, manchester, newcastle - they are full on all day commitments and you do/should get rewarded for doing them iMO.

What i have an issue with is the "sanctions" part as a result of non attendance...... That really stinks
Haven't we been around this loop about five times now?

No-one will be "punished" for not going. You may be punished if you don't go and you've not told the club first.

And given it shouldn't take more than two minutes to send an email over, is that too problematic?

The threat of a sanction/punishment/whatever is a stick to try and incentivise people to tell the club if they have a ticket and can't go.

The wording is clumsy, yes, but the intent is to ensure no empty seats in the Albion section at Ajax. I wholly support that.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The tone of the club comms around European tickets definitely needs a bit of a tweak, IMO. Additionally, they need to work a bit harder to join their data points together. A friend of mine got caught up in the train carnage between Toulouse and Marseille on the day of the game (he was on the train that hit someone and was stuck on it for hours). He eventually made it to Marseille in time for the start of the second half and had to watch it on TV in his hotel right next to the ground.

He'd been in communications with the club helpline (and other members of the Supporters Services team) all day to let them know his progress and, eventually, to inform them that he wasn't going to make it in time to collect his ticket. Subsequently, he's received some pretty patronising emails to ask why he didn't collect his ticket for Marseille and why he didn't inform the club that he wasn't going to do so. When he went back to them slightly irritated (which is fair enough), the tone of the reply was pretty much 'you're lucky this time, we've decided not to impose any sanctions on you, but you need to do better next time'. Absolutely no empathy for the situation he faced or indeed any acknowledgement that he HAD gone over and above to keep the club informed of his circumstances, but they just failed to make a note on their system.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
I agree but I don't think Athens is quite so black and white if you are in Tier 2, as I am.

When I last looked, the travel options to Athens were quite limited and generally quite expensive. I'm certainly not prepared to book flights and "gamble" that I get a match ticket.

So, on Monday morning I'll join the 9am scramble and hope to get lucky. If I do, I'll then immediately look to book travel. I'll be prepared, having researched options this weekend. I might even have a browser tab lined up ready to buy the best flights I can find.

However, there is still a chance that the travel options change rapidly - there'll be several hundred Tier 2 Albion fans very probably doing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. It may be the case that I just can't find something that suits for a reasonable cost.

If that happens I'd look to return the ticket ASAP in order that someone else has the chance.

I'll have bought a ticket with the intention of trying to go, but not being certain that I can.

I sympathise with travel arrangements and had same initial thought as you about travel first or ticket first when the Europa league draw was made. However I made the assumption i'd likely get tickets for Ajax and Marseille due to size of away allocation (so we took a risk and did book travel first) however didn't take a punt on Athens (as wasn't sure I would get a ticket therefore didn't book flights) turns out i would get a ticket as i'm tier 1, and can do the game however now flights are through the roof i'm not going (so there's going to be at least 1 ticket available on monday)......

To be far this challenge is unique as its away in Europe... You may have to take some risks on cost of travel and tickets if you're not way up in the top of tier 1.... However You can help to make this situation easier by getting into tier 1....

Our group have been doing this since January this year when it became clear we might get European football. We've upped our attendance at away games as a commitment to both watching attractive football and doing everything we can (legally) to get into top tier by going to every game home and away and giving us the best chance of getting tickets to away european games. his has come as a massive commitment for us but if we want to go to European away games (or limited capacity games in this country) then this is the route we've had to take....

I just think having a potential sanction for non attendance is way over the top....

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I agree but I don't think Athens is quite so black and white if you are in Tier 2, as I am.

When I last looked, the travel options to Athens were quite limited and generally quite expensive. I'm certainly not prepared to book flights and "gamble" that I get a match ticket.

So, on Monday morning I'll join the 9am scramble and hope to get lucky. If I do, I'll then immediately look to book travel. I'll be prepared, having researched options this weekend. I might even have a browser tab lined up ready to buy the best flights I can find.

However, there is still a chance that the travel options change rapidly - there'll be several hundred Tier 2 Albion fans very probably doing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. It may be the case that I just can't find something that suits for a reasonable cost.

If that happens I'd look to return the ticket ASAP in order that someone else has the chance.

I'll have bought a ticket with the intention of trying to go, but not being certain that I can.
I am in tier 1 for Athens but won't be taking up the option, basically because I can't convince my Mrs about doing a city break. I have personal reasons for not going alone.

I will be going to Amsterdam on a coach there and straight back, bought that as no refund option prior to getting a ticket as it was relatively cheap.

If I were seriously thinking of going Athens I would do exactly as you said. Have 3 or four hotel/flight options available and hope they don't change. If I can't go then happy to pass ticket back. They should do refunds though.

Just think it was a clumsy email and club can improve on that.

Per

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I sympathise with travel arrangements and had same initial thought as you about travel first or ticket first when the Europa league draw was made. However I made the assumption i'd likely get tickets for Ajax and Marseille due to size of away allocation (so we took a risk did book travel first )- however didn't take a punt on Athens (As wasn't sure I would get a ticket therefore didn't book flights. turns out i would get a ticket as i'm tier 1 and can do the game however now flights are through the roof and am not going...

To be far this challenge is unique as its away in europe... You may have to take some risks on cost of travel and tickets if you're not way up in the top of tier 1.... However You can help toto make this situation easier by getting into tier 1....

Our group have been doing this since January this year when it became clear we might get European football. We've upped our attendance at away games as a commitment to both watching attractive football and doing everything we can (legally) to get into top tier by going to every game....

I just think having a potential sanction for non attendance is way over the top....
Wholeheartedly agree with all but the last line of that.

My away attendance hasn't been great over the last few seasons, and I have no issue with those who have dedicated the time and money following us away from home getting all the rewards now, including the certainty of knowing they are guaranteed an away Europa League ticket, so able to get the pick of travel options. All richly deserved.

The last line, again, no-one will face a sanction for non-attendance if they tell the club they can't go, allowing the ticket to be offered elsewhere.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
The tone of the club comms around European tickets definitely needs a bit of a tweak, IMO. Additionally, they need to work a bit harder to join their data points together. A friend of mine got caught up in the train carnage between Toulouse and Marseille on the day of the game (he was on the train that hit someone and was stuck on it for hours). He eventually made it to Marseille in time for the start of the second half and had to watch it on TV in his hotel right next to the ground.

He'd been in communications with the club helpline (and other members of the Supporters Services team) all day to let them know his progress and, eventually, to inform them that he wasn't going to make it in time to collect his ticket. Subsequently, he's received some pretty patronising emails to ask why he didn't collect his ticket for Marseille and why he didn't inform the club that he wasn't going to do so. When he went back to them slightly irritated (which is fair enough), the tone of the reply was pretty much 'you're lucky this time, we've decided not to impose any sanctions on you, but you need to do better next time'. Absolutely no empathy for the situation he faced or indeed any acknowledgement that he HAD gone over and above to keep the club informed of his circumstances, but they just failed to make a note on their system.
this is exactly the kind of stuff i'm talking about...... Even though he's been in comms for a pretty unique situation, the club still take this "well you should be there hell or highwater type attitude" - I think its over the top and not needed. - I'd have been gutted if that happened to me, let alone then having to try and clear my name. I'd be proper pissed off I had to justify myself......

would the same have happened to the people on the flight that Bloom was on if the flight didn't get there in time and they missed the game? would he have been "sanctioned" for non attendance? - no one actually knows but this post above does demonstrate a lack of empathy for people in this situation......

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Surel

Every fan now sadly is a disposable number.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I can see the email now........
Dear Mr Bloom,
Fan No XXXXXXXX
It has come to our attention that you missed your slot for collecting your Marseille ticket and arranged with other fans to make your own travel plans to the stadium thus causing our staff to have to meet them there with all your tickets. Please can you revise your travel for our future European games in order to give yourself more time so as to prevent a recurrence of this situation.
Yours sincerely,
Paul (OBE)

No where long enough to be a Barber email!!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm genu

I'm defending the club because...

- Ajax is one of the most in-demand fixtures in the club's history. Having empty seas when so many want to go would be a travesty.
Yet you pooh poohed my idea about re-selling no shows on the day.

Clublicker! ;)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Imagine an alternate universe where the club proactively tries to be on the fans' side. Acknowledgement/drink for those who waited three hours for a bus in Marseille, decent refund/exchange options for games when life gets in the way etc. Wonder if it'll change if we get relegated and we're back to having 10,000 empty seats on a Tuesday night against West Brom.

Did enjoy the "get behind the team" 1996 programme energy of the "thank you for your support" with no full stop.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
this is exactly the kind of stuff i'm talking about...... Even though he's been in comms for a pretty unique situation, the club still take this "well you should be there hell or highwater type attitude" - I think its over the top and not needed. - I'd have been gutted if that happened to me, let alone then having to try and clear my name. I'd be proper pissed off I had to justify myself......

would the same have happened to the people on the flight that Bloom was on if the flight didn't get there in time and they missed the game? would he have been "sanctioned" for non attendance? - no one actually knows but this post above does demonstrate a lack of empathy for people in this situation......
To echo @Bozza, the club haven't sanctioned him for non-attendance. Sure the tone might not have been struck right, but we'd all be pretty annoyed if people were buying tickets with no intention of going just because they could (the tickets have been relatively inexpensive). To me, it is clear that the club want to sell tickets to fans who are going to attend and are going out of their way to make sure that is the case. Justifying why you weren't there and facing no consequences when it is clear that you weren't at fault is hardly the world's biggest issue.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I really don't have a problem with what they've put in place. They said right from the start that there wouldn't be refunds as the logistics of administering it would be prohibitive. That and potential sanctions were all in the terms we signed up to when buying the tickets.

The comparisons with concerts etc aren't really relevant - no-one cares if there are empty seats at Taylor Swift, but we support the team and want the best support out there for them.

At the forums and zoom events, people wanted a way of returning tickets even though there were no refunds, so other fans could go - they've put that in place.

People were also concerned that without a refund there would be no incentive to hand tickets back if you couldn't go, so some people would just take the £35 hit and leave us with empty seats - they've put something in place to discourage that.

They've listened to what we as fans asked for - get as many fans out there as possible.

The only issues really are the clunky email and concerns about being sanctioned unfairly for the small chance that something unexpected goes wrong.

Don't panic at the email itself, yes it's clumsy but it's nothing you didn't already sign up to.

In the unlikely event you can't go because of something like covid (i.e. something you couldn't have been aware of by the deadline), email the club as soon as you can and keep copies. Photograph your covid test, keep a record of your cancelled flight, etc. Ask for an assurance that, as the circumstances were outside your control and you've told them as soon as you were able, you won't be sanctioned for future matches. Keep asking or escalating up the chain until you get something in writing from them to confirm.

It's no more than you'd need to do if you had to claim for something on your travel insurance.

We do know there are things about the club that aren't joined up very well and that leads to a lot of 'what if...?' worries on here. Especially around Europe, as it's new to the club as well and there will be teething problems. But I do think they're trying to do their best for the club and the fanbase.

Just protect your interests as much as you can, remember the chances of something going wrong are very small, and try to enjoy the fact you've got a ticket for our first ever season in Europe!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

This is exactly how he felt. He was already really upset that he'd had to sit on a train for 8-9 hours and then miss our first ever European away game, despite spending a lot of money to go out there in the first place. Additionally, he HAD followed to the letter exactly what the club had advised him to do. For the club then not to do their bit of actually taking that information and updating their records is pretty poor, IMO.

It is a world of difference from buying a ticket on a whim and then deciding not to go and not bothering to inform the club.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
This is exactly how he felt. He was already really upset that he'd had to sit on a train for 8-9 hours and then miss our first ever European away game, despite spending a lot of money to go out there in the first place. Additionally, he HAD followed to the letter exactly what the club had advised him to do. For the club then not to do their bit of actually taking that information and updating their records is pretty poor, IMO.

It is a world of difference from buying a ticket on a whim and then deciding not to go and not bothering to inform the club.
That is poor and I feel for him, I'd have been gutted to miss it. And the additional hassle, as I said we know some things aren't joined up very well at the club.

But I'm glad he's not been sanctioned for future games and it got sorted in the end. Hope he can make it to another game.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Part of the trickiness is surely that the club can't be seen to encourage ticketless fans to travel and would be punished for doing so.
If a few hours before kick off they announce that if any fans happen to be able to make it to Amsterdam in the next hour they can now buy a ticket that would possibly be acceptable to the authorities.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
That is poor and I feel for him, I'd have been gutted to miss it. And the additional hassle, as I said we know some things aren't joined up very well at the club.

But I'm glad he's not been sanctioned for future games and it got sorted in the end. Hope he can make it to another game.

He's got a ticket for Ajax and I think he's intending to travel there about 2 weeks in advance so he doesn't miss the game :lolol:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Prior to the all the Europa League ticket details being announced there was a significant concern that some supporters would speculatively buy tickets then not go if time off work, costs, transport availability did not work out; in short people taking the piss. The club had to address this, which they did. If you cannot make a game, and alert the club as they suggest, and can demonstrate you intended to go, I really do not think for one moment you will suffer. Are there any cases of this from Marseille?
Does it say you have to prove you 'intended to go'? I don’t think I’ve seen that. The club is simply asking that you tell them if you’re not going.

Honestly mate, you’re way over the top about this. Last night I presumed you,d had a few with your impassioned ,imagined correspondence etc., but you’re still banging on about this today?

Sanctions are mentioned in passing as a possible option if people don’t follow the very simple request to inform the club if they can’t go. It’s not an onerous task to do so. The club may be thinking further ahead to EL matches beyond the group stages, when tickets really will be hard to come by. The club may want to deter people who buy up group stage matches thinking it will help them later on. The tickets are inexpensive enough for that to be an option for some.

But overall, I think Bozza's summary is very reasonable. It’s wrong to keep invoking other industries, concerts, air tickets etc. This is a different industry with unique requirements.

Just calm down and reread Bozza's post (#80). It makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here