Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can't beleive Thompson since....

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
hes been here, at home hes not had one good game, he is to light weight for a mid-fielder, his distribution is dire, he can't tackle, if we had hammond we would not be crumbling like that at home, i do not think it is all his fault, you have to conisder also maybe the players have forgotten how to play attacking football, after having it drummed into them by Wilkins how to play defensive football in our last two away games, maybe they are unable to adjust, by the way have been watching the Albion for 30 years that was one of the worst team displays i have ever seen, the only player that was up for it was Cox. Rant over.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sack Wilkins
Sack the team
Sack the board!

:rant::rant::rant:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought he had some good games, some average games and some poor games. What were you expecting of him? A Stuart McCall?

I felt he fitted in fairly well after a slowish start and is gradually adapting to the game. He seems to be one of those players that goes about his job quietly and effectively without the flair factor.

As for playing defensively against Leeds and Forest, was it not a good idea to keep things tight and try and hit them on the break? It was important not to lose and there is always the chance of sneaking a win. Or is it as simple as attacking, not conceding and winning...?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thomson is one of them players that does his job most of the time but does not surge forward really, just a very good midfield holding player! I'm happy with him, but he can be anonymous if you're not really watching the game properly..!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
hes been here, at home hes not had one good game, he is to light weight for a mid-fielder, his distribution is dire, he can't tackle, if we had hammond we would not be crumbling like that at home,

For the record...

Home League games this season...

With Dean Hammond P11 W5 D3 L3
With Steven Thomson P9 W5 D3 L1

I seem to remember us 'crumbling' at home against a few teams over the last two seasons with and without Hammond. Anyway, what is your point? Did Hammond want to stay?

Besides, new players do NOT automatically fit in and play to the best of their ability! It takes time to gel ande settle in. Surely next season would be a decent time to judge him properly rather that just write him off completely.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Thomson is one of them players that does his job most of the time but does not surge forward really, just a very good midfield holding player! I'm happy with him, but he can be anonymous if you're not really watching the game properly..!

To be a good holding player, you have to touch the ball occasionally.

In my opinion he has been totally inept, and needs replacing for next season if we are to get promotion.

Gareth24

Mar 19, 2008
im happy with thomson.

Its difficult with a holding midfielder because you dont tend to notice them as much as players in other positions.

He doesnt give the ball away loads and never seems to be out of position. What else do you want. pinging 60 yard balls for assists or getting in on the goals.

Makelele was the best at that for years and all he done was get the ball and pass it. Thats what you want.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He's a bit light in the midfield battle, but he does put a nice pass through, on the deck as well.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
To be a good holding player, you have to touch the ball occasionally.

In my opinion he has been totally inept, and needs replacing for next season if we are to get promotion.

In my opinion he'll be one of the major reasons why we will get promoted next season. He's the sort of player that you don't notice, a little pass here, tackle there, nothing brilliant, just keeps everything ticking over. Besides as has already been mentioned, it takes time to settle in. Writing him of now is the height of crass stupidity.
The problem yesterday was the formation, hence why everyone had a cack game

twicer

Apr 13, 2007
isnt the whole idea of being a good holding midfielder is too win the ball . i watch every week and it seems to me that he always loses it with his distribution and never wins his tackles. he just seems to lightweight in the middle of the park for me.

i dont agree with hammond point either he was over rated.

anyway its all about opions

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that in general he has done the job asked of him very efficiently and unnoticed but both him and Therry Raccon went missing on Saturday, along with about 7 others.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
have we seen the best/worst of Thomson and would he have been better if Hammond had stayed? Thomson alluded to the fact a few weeks ago that he'd had a different midfield partner each game and 1 of them wasn't Hammond. I'm yet to be convinced by him, but maybe the constant reshuffling of our midfield personel and shape hasn't helped him to settle.

Do we only play the diamond to try and get the best out of Cox? It doesn't seem to suit the rest of our midfield.

110%

Unregistered User
Apr 19, 2006
GOSBTS
The signs were all good, a midfielder and captain who was moving from the SPL to play for us - surely he had to at least offer us as much as Hammond and hopefully a lot more. I seriously expected him to be named club captain once Hammond left. Unfortunately I can’t really see what he gives us. His distribution is often quite poor - with passes often over or under hit, he isn’t particularly good in the air, he doesn’t get forward (though that might be a tactical thing rather than his decision) and his tackling whilst fully committed is often ineffective and is often a result of having given the ball away himself in the first place.

Yes, there are players who go about their business quietly and effectively but as far as Thompson is concerned I’m afraid that he just seems to go about his business quietly. Hopefully he’ll be better next season.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
In my opinion he'll be one of the major reasons why we will get promoted next season. He's the sort of player that you don't notice, a little pass here, tackle there, nothing brilliant, just keeps everything ticking over. Besides as has already been mentioned, it takes time to settle in. Writing him of now is the height of crass stupidity.
The problem yesterday was the formation, hence why everyone had a cack game

Damn right
I think he is a class act - he was as good or as bad as the rest on Saturday which was basically a bad day at the office.
Thomson is a damn good player and I am surprised why he has not been made captain - hopefully he will be skipper next year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here