Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cancelled Flights/Holiday Refunds

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The email is in from Centerparcs to confirm we can get a refund for the cancellation of our stay booked for the end of May. £1,400-odd quid coming in very handy now.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Still waiting on our tui trip 1st April . Supposed to b getting a code before 1st may not holding my breathe though tui come up short on this I’m afraid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Well well well !!! I just got this email !!!

We hope this email finds you safe and well.

With the scale of this situation and the number of customers affected, we understand that this is an unsettling time for everyone. We also appreciate and apologise for the extensive time taken to secure this outcome for you, and so we hope this announcement alleviates any concerns you may have had during this very challenging time.

It brings us great pleasure to let you know that we will start to issue refunds from next Monday 4 May.
To make the refund process as fair as possible, our Customer Service team will be processing each individual refund in strict departure date order. We will begin issuing refunds from week commencing 4th May 2020. This will be for all holidays that where affected up to and including 22nd March 2020.

We will continue this on a rolling weekly basis, with refunds issued 7 weeks from the original departure week following the schedule laid out below;

Due to travel Expected refund week
Week-ending 22 March 2020 Week commencing 4 May
Week-ending 29 March Week commencing 11 May
Week-ending 5 April Week commencing 18 May
Week-ending 12 April Week commencing 25 May
Week-ending 19 April Week commencing 1 June
Week-ending 26 April Week commencing 8 June
Week-ending 3 May Week commencing 15 June
Week-ending 10 May Week commencing 22 June
Week-ending 17 May Week commencing 29 June
Week-ending 24 May Week commencing 6 July
Week-ending 31 May Week commencing 13 July
We do want to highlight that for any customer who has claimed for non-delivery of services through their payment provider, your refund will be managed in a separate process and in accordance to the terms of that provider.

We will continue to work hard for you, and all our customers, as the situation unfolds week by week and hope to see you again when you’re ready and able to take your next holiday.
Kind regards,
Your Travel Republic Team

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can anyone tell me how I am affected, rights etc, regarding holidays booked at home.

I have already cancelled a holiday with HomeAway and got most of my money back, problem is a lot of these companies cop out by saying "we are just booking agents for our homeowners", despite the fact that I booked with them, so surely they hold the liability, not the homeowners!

Any ideas...?

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Can anyone tell me how I am affected, rights etc, regarding holidays booked at home.

I have already cancelled a holiday with HomeAway and got most of my money back, problem is a lot of these companies cop out by saying "we are just booking agents for our homeowners", despite the fact that I booked with them, so surely they hold the liability, not the homeowners!

Any ideas...?

Same rules as apply worldwide if booking from/in the UK - if it was a "package" (see ABTA definition https://www.abta.com/tips-and-advice/is-my-holiday-protected/new-package-travel-regulations) refund in 14 days. Flight Only - EU261 so refund in 7 days. If it wasn't either of those, then it's down to the end Suppliers contract whether you booked direct or through an agent - the Supplier contract T&C's apply. Combination of flight and other elements all booked separately - EU261 for flights, Supplier's Contract Terms for the rest. Hope that helps.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Same rules as apply worldwide if booking from/in the UK - if it was a "package" (see ABTA definition https://www.abta.com/tips-and-advice/is-my-holiday-protected/new-package-travel-regulations) refund in 14 days. Flight Only - EU261 so refund in 7 days. If it wasn't either of those, then it's down to the end Suppliers contract whether you booked direct or through an agent - the Supplier contract T&C's apply. Combination of flight and other elements all booked separately - EU261 for flights, Supplier's Contract Terms for the rest. Hope that helps.

Sorry, I obviously wasn’t very clear. I’m talking a staycation, as in holiday within the uk...

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Sorry, I obviously wasn’t very clear. I’m talking a staycation, as in holiday within the uk...

Yes holidays in the UK are covered in the Package Regulations, also the Flight Regs if a domestic flight and then each Supplier's Contacts failing those two legalities. So if booked in the UK to holiday in the UK, same rules apply.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yes holidays in the UK are covered in the Package Regulations, also the Flight Regs if a domestic flight and then each Supplier's Contacts failing those two legalities. So if booked in the UK to holiday in the UK, same rules apply.

I’ve got an Isle of Wright trip booked for 25th May. Also booked the Ferry crossings with the resort.

Last email basically sent to those going in April explained the resort was closed and they hope to open on May8th (day after current lockdown) which won’t happen.

They’ve pointed at their t&c’s and basically said it’s a voucher refund.

I would prefer a cash refund (£850) and assume I am covered, in view the product / service I have purchased cannot be honoured (assuming lockdown remains)

I also took the step to pay the whole thing on credit card for section 75 protection, so hope I’m covered either way?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Was meant to fly out to Tenerife on Saturday. 15 days beforehand I got an email from Jet2.com saying that they would be in touch before the departure date to sort out our refund if we didn't want to rebook or take vouchers ( we don't) . Not heard a thing from them. Emailed them this evening to ask what is going on. It's poor that these firms aren't delivering refunds when that's a statutory right if they cancel. I appreciate its extraordinary circumstances but the lack of customer service is shocking.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just checked our Norwegian flights booking online (for NYC in July) and you wouldn't think going by their portal that there's an ongoing crisis, or that Norwegian were in deep financial trouble anyway.

Just a game of chicken at this stage, where we know in reality that the flights won't happen, whilst they refuse to cancel the flight. Instead Norwegian are trying to tempt us into rebooking for some other date long into the future, or for us to simply cancel …. in either case they retain 100% of our cash.

Patience is required.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
I’ve got an Isle of Wright trip booked for 25th May. Also booked the Ferry crossings with the resort.

Last email basically sent to those going in April explained the resort was closed and they hope to open on May8th (day after current lockdown) which won’t happen.

They’ve pointed at their t&c’s and basically said it’s a voucher refund.

I would prefer a cash refund (£850) and assume I am covered, in view the product / service I have purchased cannot be honoured (assuming lockdown remains)

I also took the step to pay the whole thing on credit card for section 75 protection, so hope I’m covered either way?

If the ferry and the accommodation were booked together and you paid one total price then essentially it's a package and therefore you are entitled to a full refund, theoretically in 14 days.

I'm guessing some resorts are inadvertently selling packages, purely as a service, without knowing the new regs that came in a couple of years ago. I think this sort of thing is happening a lot currently.

Quote the Package Regs and ask for a refund. Section 75 and Chargebacks are a bit of a minefield currently, some Merchants are saying Credit Notes are acceptable and others are saying it's not applicable as it was all down to Government intervention and to seek the refund with the Supplier. I believe Amex are going in all guns blazing on any Section 75 claim!!!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Permission to say cock......

Oh well I would happily roll ours over for a year as have checked prices that are already much cheaper and just hope TUI still exists.

Really surprised about TUI, booked holiday to Italy online via TUI website end of January this year, paid in full, we were due to travel 27th March. When our F O changed the travel advice, they contacted me and asked if I wanted a full refund, or re book another destination, I said that I would take the refund. Money credited back in my account following day.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
BA offered vouchers for a flight scheduled to Düsseldorf next weekend but got 2 further return flights booked with them between June 11-23 and not heard anything yet.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Had flights booked to Australia with Emirates for mid April.

Tried to go via Amex as a disputed charge but was rejected after Emirates disputed my dispute (!)

Have now filled out Emirates online form for a refund but god knows how long it will take

My Mrs works for a well known tour operator and their staff have been actively told not to refund any customers. Can understand these firms wanting to protect their cashflow but some people are in dire straits and their holiday refunds could be very much needed asap.

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
Had flights booked to Australia with Emirates for mid April.

Tried to go via Amex as a disputed charge but was rejected after Emirates disputed my dispute (!)

Have now filled out Emirates online form for a refund but god knows how long it will take

My Mrs works for a well known tour operator and their staff have been actively told not to refund any customers. Can understand these firms wanting to protect their cashflow but some people are in dire straits and their holiday refunds could be very much needed asap.

Did you book direct with Emirates or through a travel agent?

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
If you are flying anywhere in Europe next month then trust me when I say you will not be flying. If you do get to fly it will be the exception rather than the rule. As to worldwide you might get some flights out but probably only to open countries I.e. those that will accept original destination being UK. Looking forward airlines will need to get their aircraft through a maintenance schedule first as they are notoriously prone to fatigue during the parking process (Parking creates the risk that an airplane may not be properly protected or that system functionality may not be properly restored. The increased integration and complexity of both hardware and software in airplane systems means greater care and attention must be paid to protecting and restoring the airplane after parking. The procedures established to preserve an airplane during parking and later restore it to in-service condition are extensive and lengthy, but necessary to ensure airworthiness. Specific procedures exist for servicing and protecting an airplane parked for different periods of time. The airplane manufacturer's recommended maintenance practices for parking can be found in chapter 10 of the Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM).

So, in short, many aircraft will need to go through a maintenance schedule first. The airlines will then probably utilise their aircraft on their most profitable routes (dependant on being allowed to fly there) and / or the key hubs. So if you are flying in July or even August then it will be pot luck as to whether you get to fly. Not to mention will you have accommodation that will be available to you even if you get there!!

Good luck one and all.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If the ferry and the accommodation were booked together and you paid one total price then essentially it's a package and therefore you are entitled to a full refund, theoretically in 14 days.

I'm guessing some resorts are inadvertently selling packages, purely as a service, without knowing the new regs that came in a couple of years ago. I think this sort of thing is happening a lot currently.

Quote the Package Regs and ask for a refund. Section 75 and Chargebacks are a bit of a minefield currently, some Merchants are saying Credit Notes are acceptable and others are saying it's not applicable as it was all down to Government intervention and to seek the refund with the Supplier. I believe Amex are going in all guns blazing on any Section 75 claim!!!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.
Although booked through the resort they were two separate transactions a few days apart (calculated or just processing) both parts were paid on a CC and both exceeded £100 respectively.

Will see what is offered up on May 8th

Thanks

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If you are flying anywhere in Europe next month then trust me when I say you will not be flying. If you do get to fly it will be the exception rather than the rule. As to worldwide you might get some flights out but probably only to open countries I.e. those that will accept original destination being UK. Looking forward airlines will need to get their aircraft through a maintenance schedule first as they are notoriously prone to fatigue during the parking process (Parking creates the risk that an airplane may not be properly protected or that system functionality may not be properly restored. The increased integration and complexity of both hardware and software in airplane systems means greater care and attention must be paid to protecting and restoring the airplane after parking. The procedures established to preserve an airplane during parking and later restore it to in-service condition are extensive and lengthy, but necessary to ensure airworthiness. Specific procedures exist for servicing and protecting an airplane parked for different periods of time. The airplane manufacturer's recommended maintenance practices for parking can be found in chapter 10 of the Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM).

So, in short, many aircraft will need to go through a maintenance schedule first. The airlines will then probably utilise their aircraft on their most profitable routes (dependant on being allowed to fly there) and / or the key hubs. So if you are flying in July or even August then it will be pot luck as to whether you get to fly. Not to mention will you have accommodation that will be available to you even if you get there!!

Good luck one and all.

The hotel part is key

Who will budge first and open

Hotels or airlines

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here