Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cancel Culture/Online Shaming

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Pretty harsh critique of the 20th century and earlier. The vast majority of people that I encountered in the last half of the 20th century didn't hold views like these. In the main, they were sensible and tolerant and not prone to over-reaction. You make it sound as if it was the Dark Ages, not a time of rapid advancement, enlightenment and aspiration. In the 21st century, thus far, educational standards have declined, society has continued to become more selfish and less tolerant.

6 million people put to death because of their beliefs, race, looks and sexual preferences..? Sensible and tolerant?

I'd say the 20th Century was one of the darkest in human history.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
6 million people put to death because of their beliefs, race, looks and sexual preferences..? Sensible and tolerant?

I'd say the 20th Century was one of the darkest in human history.

The 20th Century was absolutely grim. Two world wars, the invention and deployment of nuclear weapons, tens of millions of people lost to genocide - not a halcyon era or age of enlightenment by any stretch of the imagination. And those are only the headlines.

I was born in 1985, so I’m too young to remember the worst of it in real-time. Even still, in the 10 or so years I’m able to recall during that period there were still the atrocities in Bosnia and Rwanda, the Gulf War and a real sense of threat from the IRA. And yeah, I’d say the 90s were the thin end of the wedge.

There was, and remains today, a lot of hatred in the world. I don’t think a single solution exists, given how deep seated and nuanced the problem is across the globe. I’m not sure how cancel culture solves any of it however.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
It may be going a bit too far, but they're only trying to make the world a better place for everyone. This world is a very dark place, and people are so selfish and ignorant that atrocities happen, people talk about it and move on. How about we stop ignoring it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It may be going a bit too far, but they're only trying to make the world a better place for everyone. This world is a very dark place, and people are so selfish and ignorant that atrocities happen, people talk about it and move on. How about we stop ignoring it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Agree. Cancel Culture has swung too far the other way though. Offended for the sake of being offended, etc.

There is some middle ground where normal people call out atrocities, stand up to elected and unelected rulers and we have a fair and just society with appropriate punishments for crimes.

We will get there, I am confident of that, it's just we will swing between too much and too little for a while yet.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Exclusive: Universities face fines as part of 'twin assault' on cancel culture

Ministers will fine universities which stifle freedom of speech and tell heritage groups "public funds must never be used for political purposes" in a major new bid to torpedo efforts at rewriting Britain's history, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.

Gavin Williamson, the Education secretary, will announce this week that a 'Free Speech Champion' will be given powers to defend free speech and academic freedom on campuses.

Colleges or student bodies that try to cancel, dismiss or demote people over their views will be sanctioned in a major Government escalation on the 'war on woke'.

Separately, Culture secretary Oliver Dowden has summoned 25 of the UK's biggest heritage bodies and charities to a summit next week where they will be told "to defend our culture and history from the noisy minority of activists constantly trying to do Britain down”.

The Government's twin assault on the so-called 'cancel culture' comes amid concern at senior levels in the Government over attempts to rewrite Britain's past.

It came as polling out today for the new Reclaim Party found 49 per cent of Britons believe they are less free to say what they think than five years ago.

In a further assault on alleged wing bias, the Government has tasked the new head of Ofcom with ensuring broadcasters report with "due impartiality", according to an advert for the role seen by this newspaper.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...-face-fines-part-twin-assault-cancel-culture/

Not sure if this is just playing to the gallery or a real attempt to finally halt and reverse the pernicious spread of cancel culture/thought police ... hopefully the latter.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
At what point do those who want to cancel ‘cancel culture’ become part of ‘cancel culture’ themselves?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At what point do those who want to cancel ‘cancel culture’ become part of ‘cancel culture’ themselves?

Right around the time that they start to dictate what should be covered by universities and the media, I'd say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here