Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can your work include Christmas day & Boxing day as your entitled days off .....

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
as they are not bank holidays ie. its your weekend off (for those that dont do shift work) ? My building isnt open anyway !

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
my rota means xmas day and boxing day are days on for me. company told me there is no enhanced hourly rate as monday, tuesday are the bank holidays. there is no legal entitlement to give anything extra to you, apparently.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Most employers pay extra to those who work on Christmas Day/Boxing Day but it is up to the employer, the Monday and Tuesday are bank holidays, you should IMO get enhanced for Christmas Day and Boxing Day but not Monday & Tuesday. Irrespective of when the bank holidays are employers should really see Christmas Day and Boxing day as enhanced not the next two days. I would therefore say you employers is morally wrong, but its up to them unfortunately.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Monday and Tuesday are officially the bank holidays. We work shifts and therefore have to work on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Noticing the issue back in September, I as the shop steward negotiated that the Christmas day and the Boxing Day are paid the enhancememnts we get rather than the monday and tuesday since this is what most people wanted. We did the same the following week for New Years Day.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Christmas Day is a goodwill holiday so no legal entitlement to a day off whereas Boxing Day is a public holiday therefore you do have entitlements. All depends on your employer these days though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Christmas Day is a goodwill holiday so no legal entitlement to a day off whereas Boxing Day is a public holiday therefore you do have entitlements. All depends on your employer these days though.

What!!!!

Christmas Day and Boxing Day are both bank holidays and when they fall on the weekend as per this year, the following two working days are the public holidays. Castello has got it right but it would depend on your employer as to when they apply the enhancements. In these austere times then some scrooge like employers will grasp the opportunity to save themselves a bit of dough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here