well

• Yes - i embrace foreign culcha innit

Votes: 57 69.5%
  • No - i iz a chopstick mental

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I dont know why but on two recent trips to oriental restaurants, it surprised me how many people dont know how to use chopsticks, I thought most people could, but it appears most of this great British eating obese national are chopstick mentals when it comes to eating their oriental din dins...

chopstick_bra.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No but I would like to learn so any suggestions

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
No, but I will make it my mission to learn this great art.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No problemo with the old choppers here. Even my 6 year old is quite proficient with them, and not just the kiddy spring loaded ones.

Best usage I've ever seen was from the CEO of my company at a fish restaurant on an island somewhere off Hong Kong. He asked if anyone wanted the eye of the massive fish on the table that people had been picking at. No-one did. He then reached, at full stretch, gripping the choppers at the very end and plucked the eye from the fish. It must have been a slippery little sucker for sure. In one swift movement, he flicked the fish eye to his mouth where he guzzled it down. I was tempted to stand and applaud.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I confess to being a chopstick amateur. My first experience was of using them was at a business meeting where the other eight people all appeared to be experts and to ask for a fork would have looked bad, so I struggled through eating very little!!!

Ever since I have stuck to the good old British cutlery.

Funnily enough I am going for a Chinese tonight so perhaps now is the time to have another go.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I can just about, but try and get out of it by saying things like "Of course, you should eat Sushi with your hands as that's the authentic way"

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Cheers for reminding me Brett, you still owe me for that meal :)

Are you out this weekend HOMEBOY?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I have tried them in the past but things ended up a bit messy so I just stick to a fork & spoon now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I learnt to use them last year.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
From observation, Westerners seem to sit back and use them in the same position as if they are using e fork, whereas the Chinese seem to sit forward, pick up the bowl and use the chopsticks as shovels.
There appears to me to be a basic difference in approach between East and West.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From observation, Westerners seem to sit back and use them in the same position as if they are using e fork, whereas the Chinese seem to sit forward, pick up the bowl and use the chopsticks as shovels.
There appears to me to be a basic difference in approach between East and West.

Depends on the foodstuff. Noodles, for example, is unlikely to require shovelling whereas rice will.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember my mother bringing some home when I was a kid. I was fascinated by them and was determined to learn how to use them. So, I tore up lots of pieces of paper and sat down on the floor until I'd put all pieces of paper in the bowl. Then I'd do it all over again - after a few days, I'd cracked it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
hadnt forgotten, not out this weekend, few things to sort, but will come see you before your holsibob you chopstick MENTAL

I am indeed a choppo mental,, really should learn to use them, it is PURE laziness izzunit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here