Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you make candles out of ear wax?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No, it is the parafin fumes that burn that give the flame, I'm assuming no parafin in our ears

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
No, it is the parafin fumes that burn that give the flame, I'm assuming no parafin in our ears

What about beeswax then.

candlesburning.jpg

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I would suggest getting the wax out of your ears first before attempting it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Straight Dope: How do work?

"The medical team consisted of Keith Block, a family practitioner with an interest in alternative medicine, and Cecil's good friend Clark Federer. Clark was a surgeon rather than an ear-nose-throat guy, but I meant to be prepared for any eventuality. Our subject was Pat, a 30-year-old male who'd had earwax removed via conventional medical treatment some years earlier.
First we peered into Pat's ears with an otoscope, the familiar flashlight-type examining device. The poor guy had enough wax in there to make his own candles. We put him on the table, lit the candle, and stuck it in his ear in the prescribed manner. Then we watched, struggling to suppress the thought that we should also be chanting and maybe sacrificing small animals.
When the candle had burned down to two inches we snuffed it and examined the treated ear with the otoscope. No change, except that possibly the wax was dented where the candle had been stuck in. Upon slicing open the candle stub, however, we found a considerable quantity of brown wax and whitish powder. The manual had the audacity to intimate that the powder was candida yeast extracted from the ear, conceding that possibly "1% to 10%" was from the used candle. The disappointed MDs were more inclined to say it was 100 percent, but just to be sure we burned another candle in the open air. When we sliced it open we found wax and powder identical to that in the first. Conclusion: it's a hoax."

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Saw this on Mythbusters, you can make a candle from earwax but it doesn't work very well.

[yt]GiBS-V0mhtc[/yt]

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
So stick it in your ear, and what! Set light to it, and it is supposed to suck out all the wax in your ear. Yes right!

Ear%20Candling%20012-thumb-320x240.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here