Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you ever envisage Brighton...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we ever get to make a push for the Premiership we will definitely have spent that sort of money or more on a player imo.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Why is it so important to spend a million pounds on a player?

Does it mean we get to join an elite club or something?

it means you have a better chance of reaching the top flight

A case in point about player valuation inflation.......
Five years ago or so we wanted to buy Stephen Hunt from Brentford but fell about 25k short when they were asking for about 100,000.

From the archive, first published Friday 27th Jun 2003.

Albion chief Steve Coppell will re-sign Steve Hunt from his old club Brentford, providing he can get him on a free transfer or for a 'minimal' fee.

The Argus revealed last week that Hunt is poised to become Coppell's first signing of the summer on a two-year contract.

The former Republic of Ireland under-21 winger said he is "80 per cent certain" to sign for the Seagulls but the deal hinges on Bees' asking price.

Coppell, Hunt's manager at Brentford and Crystal Palace, said: "To be honest I'm fairly indifferent about it. If it happens it happens.

"He's not someone I've really set my heart on, I just think he would be an addition to the squad. I was led to believe he was going to be a free transfer. As a free transfer I would take him, as simple as that.

"Now I have got to speak to Wally Downes (Brentford manager) and if we can do something which isn't going to cost the club money then I'll do it.

"I am not looking to pay a fee but if it's minimal I wouldn't mind. That is to be determined."

Reading (now not in the premier league) have since turned down offers of over £3m for him

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A case in point about player valuation inflation.......
Five years ago or so we wanted to buy Stephen Hunt from Brentford but fell about 25k short when they were asking for about 100,000.

From the archive, first published Friday 27th Jun 2003.

Albion chief Steve Coppell will re-sign Steve Hunt from his old club Brentford, providing he can get him on a free transfer or for a 'minimal' fee.

The Argus revealed last week that Hunt is poised to become Coppell's first signing of the summer on a two-year contract.

The former Republic of Ireland under-21 winger said he is "80 per cent certain" to sign for the Seagulls but the deal hinges on Bees' asking price.

Coppell, Hunt's manager at Brentford and Crystal Palace, said: "To be honest I'm fairly indifferent about it. If it happens it happens.

"He's not someone I've really set my heart on, I just think he would be an addition to the squad. I was led to believe he was going to be a free transfer. As a free transfer I would take him, as simple as that.

"Now I have got to speak to Wally Downes (Brentford manager) and if we can do something which isn't going to cost the club money then I'll do it.

"I am not looking to pay a fee but if it's minimal I wouldn't mind. That is to be determined."

Reading (now not in the premier league) have since turned down offers of over £3m for him

We were absolute mugs not to sign him as he proved when we played Brentford a few weeks later and he took our Championship bound play off team apart almost singlehanded in one of our ritual thrahings at Griffin park

We were still top of the league at the time and I clearly remember "top of the league you're having a laugh" mocking from the home fans

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If we ever get to make a push for the Premiership we will definitely have spent that sort of money or more on a player imo.

Clairvoyant, that's what I be :lolol:

Stumpy Tim

Perosnally I would rather that we made the premiership without having to pay that sort of money. No player is worth a transfer fee..... either football works on contracts like in all business with a penalty for not seeing out the contract or we just go back to being amateur.

I like this little insight. Yes it would be nice to get to the Premiership without buying any players. Truly wise words

:jester:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Shows what a load of Tosh some posters say.

not saying that everyone should be right all the time, but some of the views on here are quite amusing and confirms that listening to them they are more often than not wrong.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would have thought, if we became an established Championship club with gates of say 18k then our revenues would be such that we could probably afford million pound players. It seems now that clubs in that league pay these kinds of fees on a regular basis.

Or, being uber-negative, ultimately even at this level, inflation dictates that at some point within the next probably 30-50 years we will pay £1m for a player (although it would only be the equivalent of £300-500k today).
Oooh, good call sten_super.

Whereas ....

Perosnally I would rather that we made the premiership without having to pay that sort of money. No player is worth a transfer fee..... either football works on contracts like in all business with a penalty for not seeing out the contract or we just go back to being amateur.

Oh dear! Mind you it was the wrong view then, let alone now.

Well done this man.

Oooh, good call sten_super.

Thanks. I'm a forecaster by trade so maybe there's hope for me yet! Although I must say it's debatable to what extent this signing is a demonstration of our increased revenues, and to what extent it's been funded by Tony's pockets. I think realistically it's a combination of the two; he would never have signed if it wasn't for the new ground, but equally I'm not sure we'd have signed him if we were relying solely on footballing revenues for sustinence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here