Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Can You Believe This?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I assume that would be because their services in Wales must be available in Welsh, unsurprisingly....

And Cornish. Don't forget Cornish.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Bet they still ask you for ID when you try to buy alcohol. :D

Was in the states a couple of years ago and went to a supermarket to buy some beer, The girl on the till ( not the sharpest tool in the box) would not accept my RAF VETERANS card which has a photo and date of birth....she wanted my driving licence now have you ever tried to find a DOB on a UK licence? she looked at it then back at me and said thats OK....I asked her my birthday she didnt know , by now I was getting argumentative!! she could not show me my DOB on the licence, a licence was valid but a veterans card with photo/DOB was not....but she did automatically give me military discount.!!!!..Then suddenly proudly she told me she would not let a 95 year old lady buy alcohol the previous week because she did not have a driving licence......before i got into a verbal argument about her stupidity the wife dragged me out!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The £10 is the Christmas pension bonus. I got mine this week.
Winter Fuel Allowance is late this year (down to Covid and staff) I got mine in the bank today, whereas last year it was November 19th.

And yet....there will still be a flurry of posts made after your, attacking multiculturalism, profligacy and the government. I don't like the present government, but . . .

Oh well. What can I say? :shrug:

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Was in the states a couple of years ago and went to a supermarket to buy some beer, The girl on the till ( not the sharpest tool in the box) would not accept my RAF VETERANS card which has a photo and date of birth....she wanted my driving licence now have you ever tried to find a DOB on a UK licence? she looked at it then back at me and said thats OK....I asked her my birthday she didnt know , by now I was getting argumentative!! she could not show me my DOB on the licence, a licence was valid but a veterans card with photo/DOB was not....but she did automatically give me military discount.!!!!..Then suddenly proudly she told me she would not let a 95 year old lady buy alcohol the previous week because she did not have a driving licence......before i got into a verbal argument about her stupidity the wife dragged me out!!

Your driver number contains your date of birth, scrambled up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I went into a bar in California, aged about 34, with my PhD student who was about 23. They had a 21 year age policy. The dick on the door asked to see my ID. I said 'look at me, I'm 34'. He panicked an let us both in. Never quite got my head around any of that. :mad:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Tis the only thing I enjoy about getting older, a good old moan up. I creak standing up and sitting down and frequently enter a room and struggle to remember why. Totally outweighed by the innate ability to find fault in every thing and every one.
Now go buy me presents and leave me the **** alone:glare:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

If you hadn't said the States I would have asked if this was Aldi. Bloody minded insistence on seeing ID if you look under 100 it seems.

Bought beer in supermarkets and even a bottle of 55.5% Bourbon in a state franchised liquor store in Portland Oregon without being asked for ID.

Shortly afterwards, I got refused service in Aldi because my partner *who is four years older than me* was with me and didn't have ID, even though I did. And I was in my late 20s at the time. The "I wish I thought of that at the time" thing was that I should have asked them what kind of cradle snatcher did they think I was.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Welcome to the UK, where miserable old gits complain about FREE money.

Maybe we can can pass the vaccine over?

Well, I am glad to receive these benefits.. Thank you. Although it is not exactly free...we paid through our working lives far more than we will get out. Fear not, your turn will come all too soon.
NB. Thanks to this thread for explaining what the £10 was. I can tell the wife now.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Terrible, isn’t it! What’s worse is that the call centre is in Wolverhampton so presumably the Black Country accent is so strong that they had to introduce an alternative means of communication. :D

Dow be saft it ay that bad bab. If yow cor understand the way they spake then yow need to check yum lugholes.

I think after nearly a decade of living in the BC I’ve become quite good at ‘spaking’ the lingo :)

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I'll believe that when I see it.

Its true Notters, you can believe it honestly!
was 66 in July and received my xmas box (£10) and my winter fuel allowance (£200) only yesterday so can confirm it is not a scam/falsehood.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its true Notters, you can believe it honestly!
was 66 in July and received my xmas box (£10) and my winter fuel allowance (£200) only yesterday so can confirm it is not a scam/falsehood.

I think Notters is referring to some current MPs who have already suggested raising the retiring age to 75, and even more wanting to get rid of the triple lock on pensions.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was in San Diego and went to a bar with my wife and the guys on the door asked for id. I showed mine but the wife didn't have any on her so they wouldn't let us in. I was 48 and my wife was 44. I asked to see the manager and showed my id and she let us in. Wtf.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I think Notters is referring to some current MPs who have already suggested raising the retiring age to 75, and even more wanting to get rid of the triple lock on pensions.

Then i stand corrected, my naivety knows no bounds.
As for your suggestions i can certainly see these coming to pass, in the not too distant future, we all have to belt tighten to ensure everyone makes their sacrifice in the name of sovereignty. ??

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, I am glad to receive these benefits.. Thank you. Although it is not exactly free...we paid through our working lives far more than we will get out. Fear not, your turn will come all too soon.
NB. Thanks to this thread for explaining what the £10 was. I can tell the wife now.

Not wishing to be pedantic, but since [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] is never about these days.

I'm in the same position as you having paid Taxes and NI for many years, but it's not exactly true that we've paid in more than we will get out. As we were paying that money in, we were also taking it back out to use for NHS, Housing, Roads, Education, Transport, Defence, Food & Agriculture, Welfare services, Pensions at the time, etc etc etc, so we've probably had a fair bit back out already.

What you are currently being paid (and I will get fairly soon) is from what the current taxpayers are putting in. But don't tell the kids this, they're unbearable enough already :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here