Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone please explain why Italy are out ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All night, they're telling us that if Sweden and Denmark draw 2-2 or higher, it doesn't matter what Italy do against Bulgaria, they'll be out anyway.

So we get the 2-2 in the Sweden game, and sure enough, Italy are out despite their late winner. Des then duley informs us that "Italy are out as they've scored the least goals out of the top 3 teams".

So what if Italy had banged in 5 or 6, and beaten Bulgaria 5-1 or something ? Does GD not count ? Why did 2-2 automatically eliminate the Italians regardless of how many they scored tonight ?

I don't geddit.

Durr. :dunce:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Because it goes on results of the games between the teams as i understand it...

Italy 0-0 Denmark
Sweden 1-1 Italy
Denmark 2-2 Sweden

Therefore Denmark and Sweden scored most goals during those three matches...

Lost? I am :lolol:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Its only the results from the teams equal on points that count. So all games against Bulgaria are disregarded. A 1 - 1 draw would have seen Italy through on the strenght of their qualifing group iirc

Nov 3, 2003
yep thanks for that reminder thing is it proves that this way of sorting out teams on a tie is unworkable and open to abuse. Farse like the croatian taking banned drug allowed to play its a banned drug NO EXCUSES. Anyway those Italians can just F*** off now. Time for a Pizza anyway and gloat at having the world's best striker.... step up ... Wayne Rooney

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
without going to deep into it coz i dont really understand. denmark and sweden have a better goal differance and have scored more.
although all the games between the 3 teams were draws aswell.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm still none the wiser. Has the tennis started yet ? :lolol:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
So I think it goes like this:
Sweden, Denmark and Italy are drawn on points so the first tie breaker is:

1) Greater number of points in the matches between the teams in question

Since all three teams drew against each other that doesn't help so we go to 2:

2) Goal difference from matches between the teams in question

Since all three games are draws the goal difference is zero for every team. On to point 3:

3) Greater number of goals scored in matches between the teams in question

Now since:

Italy 0-0 Denmark
Sweden 1-1 Italy
Denmark 2-2 Sweden

Italy scored 1 goal, Denmark 2 and Sweden 3 in the games involving the three teams, therefore Sweden finish 1st, Denmark 2nd and Italy 3rd. The results against Bulgaria don't count for anything.

Now if that hadn't resolved the tie (say all three games had ended 0-0) only then would we go to point 4:

4) Goal difference resulting from all three group games

Then goal difference would matter and beating up on Bulgaria would be important.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Trigger said:
Because it goes on results of the games between the teams as i understand it...

Italy 0-0 Denmark
Sweden 1-1 Italy
Denmark 2-2 Sweden

Therefore Denmark and Sweden scored most goals during those three matches...

Lost? I am :lolol:

Perfect Trigger. Top explaining. You're the first person to explain this to me so that it makes sense!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
even if the games against bulgaria had counted for anything, italy would have still gone out.

sweden 5 bulgaria 0
denmark 2 bulgaria 0
italy 2 bulgaria 1.

italy deserve to go which ever way you look at it.???

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
FG aka Football Genius. said:
yep thanks for that reminder thing is it proves that this way of sorting out teams on a tie is unworkable and open to abuse. Farse like the croatian taking banned drug allowed to play its a banned drug NO EXCUSES. Anyway those Italians can just F*** off now. Time for a Pizza anyway and gloat at having the world's best striker.... step up ... Wayne Rooney

Sounds like you are not a big fan of the Italians FG.

:D

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Because they're Italian and might get better as the tournament goes on and gives England a greater chance of winning.I also think it is very funny.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I think the reason that this tiebreaking method came about after the World Cup in 1974, when Brazil and another country that I don't remember went through by virtue of scoring hatloads of goals against Zaire. Scotland went out after only managing a 2-0 result against the hapless Africans.

It was then decided that in the event of a tie, the results against the weakest nation would be discounted

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Because they are the scum of the earth. I prayed and prayed and my prayers were answered! I cannot stand the bloody Italians. Where I live is heavily Italian. I listen to these whiney buggers week in and week out. Today has proven there is a god!

Hooray Hooray the sun is shining and Italians are crying.

I love this game!

:drink: :drink: :drink:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
chips and gravy said:
I think the reason that this tiebreaking method came about after the World Cup in 1974, when Brazil and another country that I don't remember went through by virtue of scoring hatloads of goals against Zaire. Scotland went out after only managing a 2-0 result against the hapless Africans.

It was then decided that in the event of a tie, the results against the weakest nation would be discounted

But the World Cup still uses the goal difference rule, it is only the Euros that don't.

And it was Yugoslavia who beat Zaire 9-0.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
"Italy are out because there's a conspiracy against the best national team in the world".

That's tomorrow's Italian papers summarised in one sentence.

I had a quick look and, amazingly, they're not. Italy's position can be summarised in one sentence "It's all Trap's fault". I only looked at a couple though - I'm sure there are some tabs shouting about a fix.

There is a poll on Gazzetta that asks was the Sweden/Denmark game a fix and barely 50% of the Italian public found it so. I expected much higher than that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Italy are out because they can't pasta da ball skilfully

:blush:

coat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here