Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone please explain to me this current obsession with 'Community Gardens' ..

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ignoring the legalities of occupying a site, perhaps people are a bit fed up of dreary and run down areas.

Whilst owners sit on their land waiting to maximise their profits, I don't see the problem with tarting the place up. There are so many rundown, ugly buildings/sites in Brighton & Hove.

The illegal tenants might not fit into your ideal of city workers whom lunch in Browns or 'live the dream' of a 12 hour day in the city, but they are doing no harm.

HB&B, you are showing yourself up as a snob in the form of Hyacinth Bucket. Attempting to reach some sort of mystical level of class.

You spent many months boasting about your endeavours whilst unemployed and plenty of sneering. I'm convinced it is not an NSC persona and you are generally a sad human being with all sorts of issues with inadequacy.

D

Deleted User X18H

Ignoring the legalities of occupying a site, perhaps people are a bit fed up of dreary and run down areas.

Whilst owners sit on their land waiting to maximise their profits, I don't see the problem with tarting the place up. There are so many rundown, ugly buildings/sites in Brighton & Hove.

The illegal tenants might not fit into your ideal of city workers whom lunch in Browns or 'live the dream' of a 12 hour day in the city, but they are doing no harm.

HB&B, you are showing yourself up as a snob in the form of Hyacinth Bucket. Attempting to reach some sort of mystical level of class.

You spent many months boasting about your endeavours whilst unemployed and plenty of sneering. I'm convinced it is not an NSC persona and you are generally a sad human being with all sorts of issues with inadequacy.

No, what annoys me is this fregan class who think they can just occupy any property they like, just because its empty. What happened to the values of working hard and buying your own property or land and respecting that owned by others, irrespective of what they choose to do with it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, what annoys me is this fregan class who think they can just occupy any property they like, just because its empty.

The Co-Op in London Road will still be empty twenty years from now, same as most big empty spaces in Brighton tend to stay. Why shouldn't somebody make use of the space? It's not like they can't be kicked out at fairly short notice should the need arise. Why not just leave them be, in the interim?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would never dream of doing so, but I appreciate people have different values and beliefs. They are not doing anyone any harm. They are making a positive change to something. I applaud those that stand up against Tesco, Starbucks, Sainsburys and so on. Whilst there are obvious benefits from them as an employer to the city, it is f***ing ridiculous how many of these monstrosities dominate town/city centres. I am not completely anti-capitalist, but enough is enough.

On a similar note, why is Banksy worshipped for his public art/displays, drawn/sprayed on property that is not his own, but it is a big no no for others? I appreciate that there is a difference between painting on someone elses wall and creating a garden, but it is a subtle difference.

Community projects are massively important, but all too rare.

D

Deleted User X18H

The Co-Op in London Road will still be empty twenty years from now, same as most big empty spaces in Brighton tend to stay. Why shouldn't somebody make use of the space? It's not like they can't be kicked out at fairly short notice should the need arise. Why not just leave them be, in the interim?

I think the staff in the Post Office would be a bit suprised!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, what annoys me is this fregan class who think they can just occupy any property they like, just because its empty. What happened to the values of working hard and buying your own property or land and respecting that owned by others, irrespective of what they choose to do with it?

So living in a city that looks shit thanks to ownership and market forces is preferable to the concept of community (something your chum CMD is blathering on about) whereby people get involved in something positive?

Go and get annoyed somewhere else, and come back when you know what you're on about.

Oh I forgot - as *cough* true Brightonians go, you don't like Brighton, do you?

D

Deleted User X18H

So living in a city that looks shit thanks to ownership and market forces is preferable to the concept of community (something your chum CMD is blathering on about) whereby people get involved in something positive?

Go and get annoyed somewhere else, and come back when you know what you're on about.

Oh I forgot - as *cough* true Brightonians go, you don't like Brighton, do you?

No I do prefer Hove but at the momment can't afford the type of house I need to move back. I'll admit that. The con- cept of community you've been told about, is isloated to those who have rocked up in the town as they have heard it is a haven for easy hand outs. No one who has been born and raised in Brighton and Hove feels the need to break civil laws and try and take what isn't theirs . They appreciate the well kept parks and gardens in and around the twin towns. So what would you have said if a load of travelers had turned up on the east side of Village Way in 2009?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No I do prefer Hove but at the momment can't afford the type of house I need to move back. I'll admit that. The con- cept of community you've been told about, is isloated to those who have rocked up in the town as they have heard it is a haven for easy hand outs. No one who has been born and raised in Brighton and Hove feels the need to break civil laws and try and take what isn't theirs . They appreciate the well kept parks and gardens in and around the twin towns. So what would you have said if a load of travelers had turned up on the east side of Village Way in 2009?

Ah, I wondered when another group was going to get mentioned, even if your geography is way off.

It's probably best to leave the city centre for those who want to make something decent of it.

If you insist on commerce dictating your quality of life, making people living in an untidy shithole of a city, rather than the community itself doing something positive, move somewhere else. Better for you, better for us. You won't be missed.

D

Deleted User X18H

It's probably best to leave the city centre for those who want to make something decent of it.

If you insist on commerce dictating your quality of life, making people living in an untidy shithole of a city, rather than the community itself doing something positive, move somewhere else. Better for you, better for us. You won't be missed.

Oh I would be. I give something to the city, not just take what I can and put nothing in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh I would be. I give something to the city, not just take what I can and put nothing in.

Unlike the community gardeners, the people you so despise for doing something positive for our city.

The only thing you could ever give to the city is a bad name with your petty-minded, small-town reactionary ignorance.

Thankfully, much of the rest of Brighton doesn't think so small.

D

Deleted User X18H

Unlike the community gardeners, the people you so despise for doing something positive for our city.

The only thing you could ever give to the city is a bad name with your petty-minded, small-town reactionary ignorance.

Thankfully, much of the rest of Brighton doesn't think so small.

The potential of your increased hypertension worries me. So I will bow to your superior knowledge of how property owning Brightonians perceive these urban activists. Or are they Guerrillas?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Its very easy to explain, a bunch of 'right on' eco conscious middle class Londoners decide to escape the rat race and move down to Brighton in a fleet of Toyota Prius's and renewable energy sourced electric bicycles. They move into a house/communal living space with their two children Parsnip & Tallula and meet up with other like minded 'lets save the world' types. On seeing the actual sea they almost orgasm at the pure nature of it and decide there and then that Tesco & Sainsburys are the instruments of the devil and convene a meeting at Pret A Manger over organic gluten free Ciabatta with Spirulina and line caught Tuna (Marine Stewardship Council approved obviously!). At the meeting they work themselves into an apopletic rage about the latest shitty piece of derelict urban land that hasn't been used for 10-20 years and all pop off to Homebase and buy a dozen planters and some pot plants and lob thme on the land and call it a garden. At the 'garden' they drum up support for their 'cause' and generally cause a bit of a kerfuffle for a few months before the developers give up humouring them and move in with a bunch of heavys and get shot of them before building more flats for Londoners with a Tesco/Sainsbury underneath, and so the cycle begins all over again.

so true

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I'm a propery owning Brightonian (although not born here, have lived in Brighton since 1961) and live just up the road from the site of the ex Lewes Road Community garden. I totally agree with Bozza, and the garden was great whilst it lasted. I hope the gardeners move into the site of that other ex garage just round the corner in Hollingdean Road. Many of the people responsible for the Lewes Road garden that Hove Born & Bread characterises are also local residents of long standing who have been involved in the regeneration of the local 'Patch' park. They`re just trying to improve the area.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
HB&B are the Community Gardens a wonderful example of the Big Society in action?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hear the looney greens are trying to illegally occupy another site (they neither own nor have planning permission for) on the corner of Portland and Windsor Streets to create 'a much needed' community garden.

Out of interest, do you really need PLANNING PERMISSION for plant pots?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I don't have a problem with the idea of unused property TEMPORARILY being taken over BUT it should be with the agreement of the owners. This happened at Lewes Road but the "community gardeners" then refuse to leave as agreed. That will discourage any other land or property owners allowing the same thing to happen. Why should they have to pay to get rid of unwanted guests ? By all means use the land and property of the community but with permission and then leave when required.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
1026970.gif

Seperated at Birth ?

I am pleased that Tim has got a job now, because it means we don't have to put up with this crap during the week :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here