Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone please explain to me this current obsession with 'Community Gardens' ..

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

in central Brighton.

I hear the looney greens are trying to illegally occupy another site (they neither own nor have planning permission for) on the corner of Portland and Windsor Streets to create 'a much needed' community garden.

Last time I walked around Brighton & Hove there were at least 15 large public parks as central as St Annes Wells and as outlying as Stanmer and Hangleton.

Brighton is gradually moving away from its ultra diverse and bohemian reputation the Amex is a testament to that.

If you want a community garden, buy some land and get the relevant permission. This is not the anything goes environment 'some' politicians would have us think it is.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's so the street drinkers have somewhere else to enjoy their White Lightning.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If anyone's obsessed, it's you. This subject has been done before and you had lots to say. Have you got anything new to add to your suggestion that people find £1M+ to buy plots of land in the central Brighton area?

And I must pick you up on the Amex stadium somehow turning this cultural oasis into an identikit Watford or Basildon or Staines or.....

American Express have been here in Brighton for donkey's years. In that time Brighton's reputation as a haven for artists, musicians, veggies, bennies, wasters, chancers, dreamers and schemers has undoubtedly increased. I doubt Amex has plans to halt this and if they have it doesn't seem to work. Bang goes that little theory of yours then.

Seriously, what's wrong with Brighton having a rich mix of business and the arts? Surely even you must yearn occasionally for something a little more culturally enriching than an evening out at a Harvester followed by a night in watching the Thin Blue Line?

Edna - the last community garden in Lewes Road absolutely prohibited alcohol. It was staffed and run by local people from the immediate area who ran a number of courses and schemes for other locals.

I am confident as well that without the high level of support and publicity that the guerilla garden got that we'd have never been able to persuade Tescos not to build yet another frigging supermarket in the area, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Timmy.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Oh hi Lee. I've never been to a Harvester. We do like the Dyke Pub and Kitchen though and if One foot in the grave isn't on Gold I do quite like The Thin Blue Line. But why do these people need to squat on private land? Or find the funds to pruchase their own? When we have a least 20 (I recounted) public parks and gardens in Brighton and Hove.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yawn. All this has been covered in great detail before. Exactly the same questions asked by you.

Lewes Road Garden

You know all this, though. This is just another in a long line of threads with you obliquely attacking the Greens and specifically Caroline Lucas. They won, the Tories didn't. Get over it.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Its very easy to explain, a bunch of 'right on' eco conscious middle class Londoners decide to escape the rat race and move down to Brighton in a fleet of Toyota Prius's and renewable energy sourced electric bicycles. They move into a house/communal living space with their two children Parsnip & Tallula and meet up with other like minded 'lets save the world' types. On seeing the actual sea they almost orgasm at the pure nature of it and decide there and then that Tesco & Sainsburys are the instruments of the devil and convene a meeting at Pret A Manger over organic gluten free Ciabatta with Spirulina and line caught Tuna (Marine Stewardship Council approved obviously!). At the meeting they work themselves into an apopletic rage about the latest shitty piece of derelict urban land that hasn't been used for 10-20 years and all pop off to Homebase and buy a dozen planters and some pot plants and lob thme on the land and call it a garden. At the 'garden' they drum up support for their 'cause' and generally cause a bit of a kerfuffle for a few months before the developers give up humouring them and move in with a bunch of heavys and get shot of them before building more flats for Londoners with a Tesco/Sainsbury underneath, and so the cycle begins all over again.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, Bozza, street drinking is illegal across almost the whole city centre, but it still goes on
:shrug:

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Sorry to be a pedant Edna but Street drinking is not illegal across the whole city, simply having an alcoholic drink in the street is not an offence even though I have seen police officers randomly seize cans of lager from innocent sober members of the public under the mistaken belief that there is a blanket ban on being able to drink in the street. There has to be an element of anti-social behaviour attached to the drinking in order for the police to seize or stop you drinking, hence why our resident 'street drinkers' find themselves targetted so often (and rightly in my opinion) because lets face it almost everything they do is anti-social.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Read the 14th paragraph.

“The law is clear that these powers should only be used to address nuisance associated with drinking alcohol in a public place, not to disrupt peaceful activities such as family picnics or to challenge people consuming alcohol who are not causing a problem. We expect local police forces to use common sense in the application of these powers,” a Home Office spokesman said.

& from B&H City council itself:

Drinking in public - Designated Public Places Order in Brighton & Hove

Contrary to many press reports, there is no ‘ban’ on public drinking in Brighton & Hove. However a designated public places orders is in place to enable the police to confiscate alcohol from drinkers behaving in an anti-social way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
in central Brighton.

I hear the looney greens are trying to illegally occupy another site (they neither own nor have planning permission for) on the corner of Portland and Windsor Streets to create 'a much needed' community garden.

Last time I walked around Brighton & Hove there were at least 15 large public parks as central as St Annes Wells and as outlying as Stanmer and Hangleton.

Brighton is gradually moving away from its ultra diverse and bohemian reputation the Amex is a testament to that.

If you want a community garden, buy some land and get the relevant permission. This is not the anything goes environment 'some' politicians would have us think it is.

Maybe you should talk to the council leaders, I'm sure they'll be sympathetic to your plight and they have the power to do something about it. Oh, hold on.........

Just out of interest, will you be canvassing shortly?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I love these threads. HB&B forwards some stupid poorly thoughtout argument and then gets owned by the world and his dog.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love these threads. HB&B forwards some stupid poorly thoughtout argument and then gets owned by the world and his dog.

Indeed. His poorly written vanity blogs are even worse. Timmy, please stick to your day job.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The fact is this site has been vacant for so many years and is a blot. If being 'taken over' as a garden speeds up the process of getting it actually brought back into use, as happened at Lewes Road, then so much the better.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
You voted the Lettuce party in, the only seat in the country, they have to give the impression they are doing something so you are stuck with Community Gardens.
Before they are replaced maybe they will introduce a complete ban on public drinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here