Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone explain to me the way Sami's full back tactics work please

I don't see how you think it's a changed system.

Calde and Buckley's link up play in the first Amex season, was thrilling to watch.
They would both press so far up the pitch, esp in the second half, they'd hold back 3 opposition players, minimum.
All the while Bridcutt, with a resigned shrug of the shoulders, would trudge over to right back muttering 'he's buggered off again'.

As said Bruno's either defending or attacking, one or the other but never both.
Whereas Ward last season was our second best defender and consistently the most creative left sided attacking option.

It would seem Sami wants more of the same only quicker (just the same as Oscar's preseason mantra)

I do think you underestimate the extent of the change. You are right that pushing the fullbacks on was always part of Gus's plan too but what surprised me in pre-season was just how much the full-backs would stay advanced rather than just quick raids - the expectation being that the midfielders fill in.

It's very continental abolish numbers on the back stuff.

Sami I'm sure is a thinking manager - he will either temper the plan or push on and get the players to play it more effectively. I don't think he will tolerate the haphazard way his tactics were performed in pre-season

Pete64

Aug 6, 2014
We need wingers - way too narrow v saints.

Also Chicksen barely made a forward pass or crossed the halfway line. We need Ward ASAP!

What game were you watching. Give him some credit he has been right up front. On stats he has more pace then most of the players in the squad.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What game were you watching. Give him some credit he has been right up front. On stats he has more pace then most of the players in the squad.

Hi Adams dad - thanks for joining - pls don't take offence it's just an observation. Thanks.

Pete64

Aug 6, 2014
Hi Adams dad - thanks for joining - pls don't take offence it's just an observation. Thanks.
I'm to old to be chico's parent. Dons fan like the lad and how he plays. When he is up in Mk always has time for dons fans plus helps the kids. Good lad. Would be proud to be his father.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I suspect that what will happen is that the full backs will push forward during a lightening counter attack, we will lose possession with a careless pass, our opponents will break on us with the sort of speed and precision that we can only dream of and we will be holding our heads in hands as Stockdale picks the ball out of the net... How fecking depressing...

I bet you're a hit at parties.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I haven't been to any pre season games but keep reading how Sami wants his full backs to maraud down the wing and even stay high up the pitch when they haven't got the ball? Two questions

1) Do we still need wingers?

2) Does this not expose us to a fast counter attack and leave us light on both sides at the back?

Comments would be appreciated as I don't really get it. It cannot be that simplistic or naïve I'm sure.

Only one full back needs to push up at a time leaving four at the back. Nothing changes much, if at all.

We could play a high line where both full backs push up to catch the opposition offside. This worked in the World Cup but it really needs fine judgement to work. Risky in my bag.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
The only thing I'm certain of is that I have absolutely no idea of how Sami will set his team out to play and after his comments at the fans forum regarding his captain I'm not too sure he does!

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If we are genuinely going to play with really attacking full-backs, surely then play 3-5-2 or 5-3-2, even 5-2-3, with attacking wing backs, 2 holding midfielders and a mobile attacking front 3. Probably then don't need any wingers, they'll get in the way of the wing-backs, and isolate the CF. You'd need more mobile attacking options, CMS, March possibly could play that role.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm to old to be chico's parent. Dons fan like the lad and how he plays. When he is up in Mk always has time for dons fans plus helps the kids. Good lad. Would be proud to be his father.

Firstly pls don't use 'dons' fan unless you're afc Wimbledon :lol:

Secondly what were u doing at a Brighton v Southampton friendly at the Amex if you're a franchise FC fan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here