Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can season ticket holders get compensation ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, I mean 80's there was life before sky. BBC and ITV showed a few top flight games a season for a few years. Those were the days.

And silly me, I see what you mean about floodlights. I think they may well have had a staggered start getting earlier as the nights drew in as I found one from about 1960 which started at 2:45. I tried to look on Ian Hines excellent site but it required either signing into flickr and making a Yahoo account or using a computer, something I try my very best to avoid these days.

Ok, appreciate Beeb and ITV showed some, seem to recall it was about 10 live games a season at the start.

As for Sky, believe me, I am well aware of life before Sky, oh happy days!!!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Sky pay an absolute fortune for these rights, and I should imagine they have it written somewhere that they can do what they like pretty much as a result.

They can't have that much clout because the Reading game has been moved!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Matchday Experience

We read so much about it in club promotional material but the "matchday experience" is not the same when games are moved from Saturday 3pm.

On a Saturday, a lie-in is followed by a leisurely breakfast. Shower, dress, kiss cardboard cut-out figure of Bobby for luck. Meet up with mates, few pints, meander to the ground. After the game a pint or two, maybe meet up with mates to discuss game, couple of pints and a ruby or fish supper to round off the "matchday experience".

Or rush home from work. Just time to shower and change but no time to eat. Rush to the station. Cram on a train already stuffed full with commuters (if Southern can actually be arsed to run the trains). Longer queues at Brighton because majority of fans are arriving at the same time. Straight into the ground just in time for kick-off. Then either having to leave before the end to get a train to get home at a fairly reasonable hour or stand frustrated and cold in the queue. Then straight to bed because it's up early for work the next day.

Which experience would you rather have?

But then it's all about the money now; the fan matters less and less. When Barber refers to us as "customers", that is how we are viewed today. But customers have a choice. A true football fan never has a choice. So we like it or we lump it. The Sky money is what matters. Not the fans.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We read so much about it in club promotional material but the "matchday experience" is not the same when games are moved from Saturday 3pm.

On a Saturday, a lie-in is followed by a leisurely breakfast. Shower, dress, kiss cardboard cut-out figure of Bobby for luck. Meet up with mates, few pints, meander to the ground. After the game a pint or two, maybe meet up with mates to discuss game, couple of pints and a ruby or fish supper to round off the "matchday experience".

Or rush home from work. Just time to shower and change but no time to eat. Rush to the station. Cram on a train already stuffed full with commuters (if Southern can actually be arsed to run the trains). Longer queues at Brighton because majority of fans are arriving at the same time. Straight into the ground just in time for kick-off. Then either having to leave before the end to get a train to get home at a fairly reasonable hour or stand frustrated and cold in the queue. Then straight to bed because it's up early for work the next day.

But then it's all about the money now; the fan matters less and less. When Barber refers to us as "customers", that is how we are viewed today. But customers have a choice. A true football fan never has a choice. So we like it or we lump it. The Sky money is what matters. Not the fans.

Yeah, I loved evening games at the Goldstone, but then I could just stroll across Hove Park, getting more excited as the floodlights got brighter and the crowd got noisier as I got closer, and of course that amazing view of the perfect green pitch when you got to the top of the north stand steps. But out of town games on the train, not as simple.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

:thumbsup:
Anyone not getting why some fans are unhappy about Saturday games being moved to a weekday, it's all in this post.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
:thumbsup:
Anyone not getting why some fans are unhappy about Saturday games being moved to a weekday, it's all in this post.

Oh they (Barber et al) get it, but money is more important to them so they don't care

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here