Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Leon fit into a McGhee side

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unlike Coppell McGhee doesn't seem willing to (or hasn't got the players at this level) to build the style of play around him. If he doesn't get picked to play today where does that leave him?

I'm assuming he's one of the highest paid players at the club and if he can't get into the team when Virgo's out I can't help thinking he's on his way out, especially if the alleged donkey from Millwall is signed.

Is this good, bad or am I talking out of my arse?

I think it's a shame as I like watching a motivated Leon but I feel he's a luxury player in a team of underdog grafters.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Swop him for Bobby :clap2:

I do rate Leon but he has let himself down with his attitude and I think he clashes with Magoo's fiery attitude and thus will be gone soon

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
His skill is far above that of anyone else at the club. We should be trying to keep him not pushing him out.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Rangdo said:
His skill is far above that of anyone else at the club. We should be trying to keep him not pushing him out.

More skillful that Currie ???

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hope he plays today, or the toys will be flying.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
McGhee doesn't like him, so that's it. It doesn't matter that he's our best forward & always offers something different. The manager doesn't like him, so the team (& results probably) suffer.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Leon has not got the stamina for ninety minutes of chasing lost causes in away matches. I do not think Alex Nicolas has the stamina either.

If we can get established as a middle of the table Championship club until we get a new stadium, this would suit Leon Knight's level. But if we are the bottom defending in deep (in part because the central defnders are too slow) and just lumping long balls forward without playing through midfield, a hard running forward like Chris McPhee makes more sense (not that he can seem to time his runs, trap, or shoot).

Bobby Z is just the right sort of striker.

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Rangdo said:

I agree. And I don't think he has an attitude problem or a clash with McGhee (although I'll find out - DID I TELL YOU I WAS HAVING LUNCH WITH BLAH BLAH BLAH...)

But we can't afford to keep him IMHO. Not because his wages are high, more because he dictates the players that can play with him. EG When we play Leon, we can't play Hart or Robinson because we need more height on the pitch. We have to play him with a brick shit house up front. He limits our options.

A few injuries/suspensions and we run out of players that can play with Leon. Witness the hoo-hah as soon as Virgo is out.

We need a more traditional striker.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Knight doesn't start.:ohmy:

Leon isn't built for a relegation scrap, right player, wrong time. Is coming to terms better now with the extra pace and strength of Championship defenders, but we need experience, strength and nous for our current position. Leon's wonderful instinctive skills aren't quite enough at the moment.

Maheta has the same problem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt go today as it her that has to be obeyed's birthday and we are going out to dinner, however my brother gave me a run down on the game and said that Knight looked very good when he came on playing alongside Claridge. Also said Cullip was unlucky to be booked for possibly for diving in what was a blatant penalty but kick given the other way.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Lush said:
But we can't afford to keep him IMHO. Not because his wages are high, more because he dictates the players that can play with him. EG When we play Leon, we can't play Hart or Robinson because we need more height on the pitch. We have to play him with a brick shit house up front. He limits our options.

I don't see why, especially at home, we couldn't play Harty on the right - in fact his aggression would be useful. Leon is our best striker by miles, and should always start - his ability was missed for much of today.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I know I am going to get slated for this but Leon will excel at League 1 standard but not the Championship. He cannot get past the big defenders in this division which is why McGhee is doing the same as Sheff Wed did at this level when they had Knight - play him on the wing. He can cross the ball well.

Repugnant Toad said:
Like strikers on a bad run, give him time - but his selections recently have been particularly worrying.

Worrying indeed. I just get the feeling that Rotherhams first win of the season will be against us!! Lets just see if something comes of these "loan" signings, if and when they happen.

:drink: :drink:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
With you Yorkie.What a shame if his height disables him from playing at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here