Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can I trim a Windows Media Payer audio file for free?

Get the normal version. Beta is an unstable kinda test release for a new version.
Fortunately I have XP, as the older version doesn't support later OSs. But I really only need a plug-in, so I clicked on the link set of over 90 LADSPA plug-ins on this page Audacity: Plug-Ins and Libraries
expecting a PDF, but it downloaded software. Should I install it?

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I'm sure it will do far more, but it only seems to be available for free as a trial. I just want something simple that I can just trim a file with that won't expire; something like the trimmer that is built-in to Real Player.

It's bundled In with windows free

It's bundled In with windows free
So it is! Just tried to use it but the instructions stop short at the point where you move the red cursor to the relevant point; nothing on how to actually execute the trim. I've tried just saving it, but there is no change.(The red cursor bit cannot be captured on a screenprint)
wmm.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
These instructions are on the Windows Movie Maker Help website.

On the Home tab, in the Add group, click Add videos and photos.

In the Add Videos and Photos dialog box, open the folder that contains the photos or videos that you want to add, select the video files and photos, and then click Open.

Click the video that you want to trim.

To select multiple photos and videos, press and hold the Ctrl key, and then click each photo and video you want.

Under Video Tools, on the Edit tab, in the Editing group, do one or more of the following:

To set a new start point for the video, drag the slider underneath the preview monitor to the point that you want the video to start, and then click Set start point.

To set a new end point for the video, drag the slider underneath the preview monitor to the point that you want the video to stop playing, and then click Set end point.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I use Real Trimmer for mp3s, no idea if it works on wm files. It's simple to use, and can be downloaded with real player.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Audacity is excellent audio software. Its bundled on the Computer Music studio software disc every month. I've used it for many many years. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

These instructions are on the Windows Movie Maker Help website.

On the Home tab, in the Add group, click Add videos and photos.

That link does not work and as you can see from my screenshot, there is no 'Home tab'. It's not on that drop-down box either.
This is just typical of Windows programmes and their instructions; designed by geeks, for geeks. I just gave up and asked the recipient to skip the first 70 seconds instead.
Thanks to all who tried to help, though.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
It wasn't a link, I was just pointing out where the info came from and used a different colour to differentiate between them, but maybe blue was not a good choice.

Had another look at the help site and it shows that XP cannot not run the latest version. On my pc I have the 2011 version of Movie Maker and when I open the program there is a Home Tab.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here