Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone play a musical instrument on here?

Musical instrument?

• Total voters

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I used to play the treble recorder and did Grades 3, 4 and 5 exams and also Grades 1 and 2 on the piano.
I've had cello, violin and oboe lessons too.
It helped having a professional musician in the family.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Am decent at clarinet (Distinction at grade 8 Ill have you know), quite good at saxophone, average at piano.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Guitar, learned at school, didn't play for 25+ years then picked it up again. Remembered some stuff but forgot loads. need more time to practice!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Played trumpet from about 8 years old until I was 17 (got to grade 5) in The Haywards Heath & District Scout and Guide Band. Played in The Royal Albert Hall 7 or 8 times, in front of The Queen and Phil the Greek as part of the Silver Jubilee in '77 and was selected for The National Scout and Guide Concert Orchestra.

When I joined the RAF I wanted to go in as a bandsman, but you had to be grade 8 on your primary instrument and grade 5 on a second from a different family.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Played the cello when I was a little nipper, but gave up when I was about 9, really wish I hadn't...although I wasn't very good at it. I have a tin whistle kicking around somewhere and would love to learn how to play it properly, unfortunately it isn't the most sociable of instruments to learn and I probably give the welfare of my neighbours far too much consideration to start again.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
At the risk of being immodest, I'm not a bad bass player and electric guitarist, a so-so classical guitarist and on the piano I'm like Les Dawson but without the good looks, despite my continuing best efforts.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Used to be an absolute maestro with the comb and tissue paper.

And I once watched some young ladies in Bangkok playing kazoos in a most unusual way. Does that count?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Although I don't play the trumpet I have been known to blow my own..

Have played the drums for 30 years, have toured, played the Marquee club(3 different venues), The Albert Hall, The Albert Pub, Carling Academies, and most of the toilet circuit up and down the country. Still do a lot of the Scooter rallies and thoroughly enjoy it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'm a reasonable pianist, reasonable guitarist, can play a bit of bass and can also play a bit of drums.

I have all these kicking around in my room.

mk149_2.jpg
Epiphone%20Les%20Paul%201956%20Goldtop.jpg

roland-td12k.jpg

all hooked up through midi to
reason.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm a reasonable pianist, reasonable guitarist, can play a bit of bass and can also play a bit of drums.

I have all these kicking around in my room.

mk149_2.jpg
Epiphone%20Les%20Paul%201956%20Goldtop.jpg

roland-td12k.jpg

all hooked up through midi to
reason.jpg

How does one do all that stuff? I'd be fascinated to set up something similar but don't really know where to begin.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Start with a pc, a sequencer/soft studio and a midi compatible keyboard.

You can get one of these
462915.jpg
to connec the keyboard to the pc and it's pretty much off you go.

Search youtube for anything about Reason, Cakewalk, Cubase etc. I like reason as it provides loads of neat virtualized studio kit straight out of the box. There will be some demos of what you can do.

If you want to add the guitar in, you can sample it with a decent mic and some hugely powerful audio freeware called Audacity.

PM me if you want more info ;)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here