Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anybody recommend any decent Over-Ear headphones? Max Budget £150

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I couldn't claim to know Beats are the best, obviously i haven't used every set of headphones in the world. Bought mine in the Summer and i haven't regretted them for a second. You can't say they are a fashion accessory for myself, as i haven't worn them outside my flat.

I've been ever impressed with the quality, used them for gaming as well as for music. I would say they are designed more for electronic music rather than rock, which is my preference. But very good if you can afford them. I have the mid-range set, Solo i think, £175.

It seems a bit like the old iRiver is better than iPod argument years ago, people just like to be against them to stand out from the crowd, because the later is so popular. :p

You are right in some respects, I think they are better with hip-hop/electronica because they are bass heavy however, if you check out the what audiophiles say and well respected review websites they seem to back up the opinion that they are not good value for money.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I couldn't claim to know Beats are the best, obviously i haven't used every set of headphones in the world. Bought mine in the Summer and i haven't regretted them for a second. You can't say they are a fashion accessory for myself, as i haven't worn them outside my flat.

I've been ever impressed with the quality, used them for gaming as well as for music. I would say they are designed more for electronic music rather than rock, which is my preference. But very good if you can afford them. I have the mid-range set, Solo i think, £175.

It seems a bit like the old iRiver is better than iPod argument years ago, people just like to be against them to stand out from the crowd, because the later is so popular. :p

Not at all. They are very good. I have a pair on in ear tours. BUT. I wish I'd not just bought them on impulse because they look nice. The truth is, there are of (all be it uglier) headphones about, that are much better for the price.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011
Shure SRH940 are likely extremely good. They have just replaced the SRH840 which I have and are excellent - true hi-fi reproduction. The 940 are supposed to be both more comfortable and have improved drivers. A lot of the headphones mentioned on this thread are simply designed to maximise bass - not accurately reproduce recordings - yer pays yer money and .....
Shure SRH940 Professional Reference Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
I have had many headphones, my current ones do not only perform as well as ones priced above them, you also get 2 cables with them(one long, one short), they are very light but very well made and fold up(comes with carry case too). On top of this, because the cable is detachable, if they fail you can just buy a new cable rather than forking out for another set of headphones. I STRONGLY recommend these, they carry base extremely well too.

AKG.jpg

akg2.jpg

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I'm considering buying these, has anyone used Bluetooth wireless headphones? What was the sound quality like? Battery life etc?

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/sennheiser-px360bt.html

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Had a listen to the Denon AHD 2000 headphones in HMV the other week and must admit that for sound and comfort they'd be very hard to beat, compared to my Grado's and Audio Technica's. In fact the 20 year old AT's sound a bit 'bright' and 'cuppy' by modern standards.

Mind you, HMV were asking £239.99 ( cheaper on Amazon ), so they ought to be better, that's 3x the price of the Grado's and more than 2x the price of the AT's.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
£150 gibba jeeeesus money bags... thats good gambling money

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I used to have Senheisers but recently got a pair of the Nokia bluetooh headphones, and more than pleasantly surprised

Robin Redvest

Jan 12, 2012
Depends what your situation is.

The Grado Headphones are amazing to listen to music. The SR60i have an amazing sound but they are open back headphones so if your sitting on a train or a bus then you are certainly going to annoy the person sat next to you and you will hear outside noise. The Grado's are really for sitting at home as the build quality is not amazing but they will last if you treat them right.
I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD25's which are really good and are a closed back headphone so basically it cancels all outside noise and keeps your music in. These are industry standard studio headphones and retail at around the £150 mark. Fantastic sound brilliant Clarity although the Grado's bring out the real detail in a lovely unforced way.

Redvest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here