Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anybody recommend any decent Over-Ear headphones? Max Budget £150

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
So need some comfortable headphones to use at work as I bought some in-ear Sennheisers but find them too uncomfortable. Can anybody recommend a decent pair of Over-ear headphones up to a maximum £150? Would prefer if they were comfortable and had good sound quality, but obviously for this money it won't be Bose quality. I'd also rather it not be on-ear as these become uncomfortable after a while.

Not bothered massively by noise-cancelling, but if there's any about then cool. Also if there's something spectacular for a little over that budget then I may be able to stretch.

I'm sure some people on here will have some decent ideas, as the only pair I've seen so fair are a set of Incase headphones I tried at the Apple Store, but I think they may be pricey for what they are...

Thanks!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Skull Candi

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I have some excellent studio headphones that only cost me about £75. Sound is excellent. Highly recommend them. KPG i think. cannot find them at the mo.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Can recommend Sennheiser HDR130's if you are happy to go down the 'wireless' route. When not in use the phones sit in a neat cradle on the transmitter unit that recharges the batteries.

There are more top end alternatives in the range so the 130's are probably not up to a real hi-fi geeks standards but certainly comfortable and the sound quality is more than adequate for listening to the TV and music without having a lead trailing across the room.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If you want great quality, and not break the bank, then Sennheiser HD 280 PRO's are hard to beat for the money (about £90).

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Grado SR80I

Whilst I have a pair of these they really are not that comfortable unless you are listening for less than 20-30 minutes. They sit ON the ear rather than over it, and the numbness felt on taking them off is excessive.

The other problem with them is that wearing them in the heat of summers day left me with black marks everywhere as the pigment in the cushions wasn't colourfast enough, in the same way that newsprint leaves ink all over your hot sweaty hands.

So not entirely impressed with them unless sound quality is an absolute paramount concern. The cable is also a little on the short side and fairly inflexible which might or might not make them hard to live with.

Prefer the comfort of my over-the-ear Audio Technica ATH-911 Sovereigns but as they're 20 years old and not available any more I doubt that's a useful recommendation.

Attachments

• 1987-ATH-911-209x300.jpg
    1987-ATH-911-209x300.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Whilst I have a pair of these they really are not that comfortable unless you are listening for less than 20-30 minutes. They sit ON the ear rather than over it, and the numbness felt on taking them off is excessive.

The other problem with them is that wearing them in the heat of summers day left me with black marks everywhere as the pigment in the cushions wasn't colourfast enough, in the same way that newsprint leaves ink all over your hot sweaty hands.

So not entirely impressed with them unless sound quality is an absolute paramount concern.

Prefer the comfort of my over-the-ear Audio Technica ATH-911 Sovereigns but as they're 20 years old and not available any more I doubt that's a useful recommendation.

I bought these a few weeks ago ---> Audio Technica ATH-ES55 | Mini Headphones | Richer Sounds

Whilst they are on ear, I can confirm that the sound quality is top notch so you could do a lot worse than looking into this brand.

Whatever you do, do not buy those Monster Beats - They are a overpriced fashion accessory!

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
thanks for all the replies guys. will have a look into those. wont consider the beats really as they are too expensive and are too gaudy. would say the same about skullcandy but they have just brought out some really smart looking headphones, but iv heard that their sound quality in general is pretty poor....

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
so I've found these 2 that both look OK:

Philips ONeill SHO9560/10 The Stretch Headband: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Skullcandy Aviator Headphones - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Yes, i realise I said I didnt think id consider skullcandys but these seem to have got decent reviews, and they look smart rather than the usual wacky colours. Has anybody tried either of them? Seem to be the kind of thing im after.

again, cheers for all the help so far

Denon AHD1100 Over Ear Headphones - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's all subjective of course. Personally I have some very old AKG 240's at home and use in ear klipsch custom 2 for out and about. None of these would match up to what you're after.

So you could spend hours upon hours pouring over advice and feedback for something suitable here if you like :

Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
They really REALLY aren't.

They're just heavy and branded well. There are so many better brands of headphone out there.

I couldn't claim to know Beats are the best, obviously i haven't used every set of headphones in the world. Bought mine in the Summer and i haven't regretted them for a second. You can't say they are a fashion accessory for myself, as i haven't worn them outside my flat.

I've been ever impressed with the quality, used them for gaming as well as for music. I would say they are designed more for electronic music rather than rock, which is my preference. But very good if you can afford them. I have the mid-range set, Solo i think, £175.

It seems a bit like the old iRiver is better than iPod argument years ago, people just like to be against them to stand out from the crowd, because the later is so popular. :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here