Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camera advice?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Looking to buy a decent SLR camera - have about £500 to spend any advice would be appreciated.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
jessops.co.uk

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Bought a Canon EOS-450D last year, which was inside your budget, really good camera and does everything I need it for.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
I got a canon 1000 last yr. Under 400 quid and then got a a spare battery lens filter bag memory card etc. All that should still be within your budget. Great starter slr got some great snaps.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nikon D3100 just out and even has HD video and great new user screen menu

[yt]3nmK3qrY2NE[/yt]

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Nikon d3100, outstanding entry level and will teach you camera techniques with its guide mode!!!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 223
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 225

UaeGull

Dec 21, 2007
Nikon, Canon, Canon, Nikon? Good to see the top cameras are being recommended. Once you enter a system (Nikon or Canon) that's where you'll stay as the lenses and flash units only fit that type of camera. Best to go down to a camera shop and have a go with both a Nikon and a Canon yourself, and decide which you like - then buy the Nikon! But that's my personal preference owning a D70, D1x, D2x P6000 and most recently a D700! Good luck! :)

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Canon 550D is well worth it if you can stretch your budget.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you got a beard and flatulance go for it mate. If not, or you're female, I would not join.

Oh, cam-er-a. Sorry. My mistake.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Have been looking myself Canon 500D looks a very good camera if new to DSLR and Jessops are doing a good deal on it at the present time just about to get one £489.00

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Been looking at Digital SLR's and the guy in Western Road Jessops was banging on about the Pentax K-X, who after a slump in their brand image are starting to make quality equipment again (or so he said). Good reviews, and appears a bargain at £350 compared with Canon's and Nikon's of similar spec. but priced at £450+. Any thoughts by those that may have bought one (or ruled one out!?)

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digital-slrs/pentax-k-x-review-49305303/
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/79342/show.html

thekinglives

Aug 14, 2010
I wouldn't touch anything but Canon or Nikon. I personally have a Canon 550D, and would say its worth the money I paid for it - about £750 with double lens bundle - but you can get cheaper with single lens.

As said in previous posts, park cameras in burgess hill will give you solid, independent advice - and not pushy at the sale too...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
If you want to keep costs down, have a look at the Sony alpha range, the A230 for example is around about half your budget and is a really good camera and easy to use, it will leave you money over for lenses, which you will want, if you want any sort of distance as most cameras only come with standard lenses. You dont have to stick with Sony for lenses either as Sony bought out Minolta and Minolta lenses will fit.

Also some of the bridge cameras around today are seriously good, they dont give you all the bells and whistles of an SLR but for the money they will take far better pics than you would imagine.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I wouldn't touch anything but Canon or Nikon. I personally have a Canon 550D, and would say its worth the money I paid for it - about £750 with double lens bundle - but you can get cheaper with single lens.

As said in previous posts, park cameras in burgess hill will give you solid, independent advice - and not pushy at the sale too...

This.

And once you've got your camera, start saving up for lenses. And more lenses. Then upgrade your camera. Then sell some lenses to buy better ones. Then another camera.
It's a slippery slope!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here