Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon not injured

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting:

Poyet said of Calderon: "I needed to give him a bit of a rest and wanted him to get away and think about plenty of things.

As quoted from argus

Wonder what has happened

Mmm. Not liking the sound of that. It would appear something happened between the warmup and Gus giving the teamsheet in, there is absolutely NO reason to leave Calde out if fit. He's vital to us, and it effectively used up one of his options as subs being as Tanno was always unlikely to last the 90.

Find that all a bit worrying tbh.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting:

Poyet said of Calderon: "I needed to give him a bit of a rest and wanted him to get away and think about plenty of things.

As quoted from argus

Bearing in mind the amount of miles he covers in a match, I did wonder whether he was simply rested tonight. Or perhaps Gus felt Tanno is a more solid defender and could cope with Scannell better... and he wants Calde to think about the defensive side of his game. Or maybe when he was told he was getting a rest, he didn't react too well to the news.

Regardless, let's hope it all blows over soon.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well obviously it was a late fitness test
No it wasn't. You don't do a fitness test with the subs half hour before kick off. Fitness tests are usually done well in advance of any player coming out to warm up.

Will be interesting to find out what has happened.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Mmm. Not liking the sound of that. It would appear something happened between the warmup and Gus giving the teamsheet in, there is absolutely NO reason to leave Calde out if fit. He's vital to us, and it effectively used up one of his options as subs being as Tanno was always unlikely to last the 90.

It's not unusual for us to include players in the warm-up who are not involved in the match.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Hope there hasn't been a falling out. We need to bounce back from tonight's fiasco & a united squad is essential.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Say what you like but if it wasn't down to injury then it's a shocking decision by Poyet, we missed him alot at parts tonight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Say what you like but if it wasn't down to injury then it's a shocking decision by Poyet, we missed him alot at parts tonight.

Let's wait until we know what has happened before we decide if it's a bad decision or not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's not unusual for us to include players in the warm-up who are not involved in the match.

Maybe not. But its not like Calderon is one of the players Gus chops and changes with - that back 4 is pretty much set in stone unless theres injury or suspension. Even then I thought Vincelot would start ahead of Tanno in that position.

Not that Tanno did a bad job tonight (we had a clean sheet before he went off). But Gus has effectively used up one of his subs before a ball has been kicked in electing to start with him.

It makes no logical sense, so something would seem to have happened there. I dunno what, but Calde is such an important player for us I can't believe he was just being "rested". Not when the options he took to compensate inevitably left us weaker.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

Nope, not unless the bust up was planned beforehand.

No idea what's happened but it was known about beforehand.

Hope it's nothing too serious, all seems a bit odd.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
quote from the http://www.seagulls site

Meanwhile, Poyet confirmed that the decision to play Mauricio Taricco instead of Inigo Calderon tonight was a tactical decision and the Spanish defender was not injured.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
If true, this is the worst news about last night. Calde has been brilliant so far and we missed him down the right last night, even though Tarrico played very well.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Let's wait until we know what has happened before we decide if it's a bad decision or not.

We just lost to Palace in a game where we sorely missed Calde's presence. So i am afraid IMO it was a bad decision. No waiting necessary.

quote from the http://www.seagulls site

Meanwhile, Poyet confirmed that the decision to play Mauricio Taricco instead of Inigo Calderon tonight was a tactical decision and the Spanish defender was not injured.

When asked in the Seagulls player Interview (about 1 min in ) if Calderon was tactical He never actually said yes. He actually said "we needed to address a few things" & looking at the way he answered the questions on Calderon It wasnt tactical things that needed addressing IMO.
So i just hope that it can all be sorted internally before Saturday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I watched the Seagulls Player interview too. I got the impression that as a team he's not been happy with the defending and therefore "we needed to address a few things". So he's not been happy with Calde's defending and decided to put in Tanno instead. Simple as that.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Barnes was useless without the link play down the right from Calde - whatever it was, get him him back in by Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here