Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon new deal

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I think that is good news, but will be interested to see how he copes as a right back defender this season.

I am sure he will do just as well as a right back marauder this season as he did last.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think that is good news, but will be interested to see how he copes as a right back defender this season.

I am sure he will do just as well as a right back marauder this season as he did last.

I hope you're right - he's my one real worry ... he was brilliant going forward and well deserved the accolades he got for that but we were running over teams for the most part last year ... I only ever got to see highlights so maybe my fears aren't justified by I saw some pretty big howlers at the back - albeit not frequently. Next year we can't be anything like as charitable or they'll target him and put him under way too much pressure. Defo cover needed imo

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's good news, I know we have been spoilt recently but this is more reason to party

:dance:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I only ever got to see highlights so maybe my fears aren't justified

I really don't understand this. Like you I rely on radio com and highlights.

I got to the Rochdale game at Withdean and saw another 5 games in full on the net. I still feel like I don't know enough about the players.

How you can worry on the basis of only highlights is beyond me.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Pretty soon in the new season he will need to learn that at this higher level he will spendinga lot more time in his RB quarter of the pitch, much less RM or RW overlapping, up for every corner.

We will be put on the back foot a lot more this season and he more than anyone needs to adapt to that. Teams at champ level break at such speed that if we get caught with only 3 at the back we will be punished.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
great news.

I have no worries about him defensively - his errors last season ony came when we were already home and hosed as champions and before that he was immense. When he goes forward we set up to cover with Greer moving across deep and Bennett (will presumably now be Buckley) covering at wide midfield. As long as the players understand the system and play to it then Calderon can continue to fly forward just as effectively as last year. Indeed I think he would do as well in the Premier League and a contract extension now seems to indicate that the club agree!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good news. Again, it's a sign of how far we've come. It wasn't so long ago he was looking to move to Southampton, now he wants to commit to us long-term.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Totally agree with severnside gull. In my opinion Calde was one of our best players last season and I don't understand the mass concern. He is absolutely fantastic going forward, and defensively all he needs to learn is that sometimes you need to boot the ball away when under severe pressure, which is a product of Gus' style of football and therefore is something all our defenders need to appreciate at times.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
He signed a three year deal last summer, so would imagine if its true that its a one year extension?

Hope this is not the start of the boys all trying to renegotiate their contracts now a big money signing has appeared. Inevitable maybe.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I really don't understand this. Like you I rely on radio com and highlights.

I got to the Rochdale game at Withdean and saw another 5 games in full on the net. I still feel like I don't know enough about the players.

How you can worry on the basis of only highlights is beyond me.

Well highlights, live TV and every 90 minutes on the player ... I agree it's no substitute but I reckon I could make a pretty fair judgement on all of our reg's which would be fairly consistent with those that go week in week out. Even those can't always agree Painter/Barnes are good examples I think. So I did qualify the statement but can't disagree I'd have a more informed view if I'd been there throughout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here