Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

caesarians

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Our 2nd baby is being delivered by caesarian on Wednesday (following difficulties with number one we have no option).

Some NScers must have had children delivered by c-section. What's it like as an experience for the father? and how long does the mother take to recover? I'm concerned as paternity leave is not that great.

Many thanks.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The last four of my children were all caesarian........

As it wasn,t me on the table..........never felt a thing...!

It,s a bit surreal just sitting there chatting to the aneathetist for about 15 minutes........then , all being well its all done and dusted.

Recovery time , depends much on the "mum"...........but at least a couple of weeks TLC should help.....Oh......and I dont think the mum is allowed to drive for about 4-6 weeks.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Both of my 2 were caesarian, so i couldnt tell you how different from a natural birth it is.

However it is all over very quickly.

You definately will need to be off those first couple of weeks after she gets home. I expect she will stay in hospital for 4 days maybe before they release her home anyway.

If you can take 3 weeks off when she gets home is my advice. Unless you have really good family support who can do lots of things for her.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Emily was a c-section, so here are a few points:

1. I was in hospital for 5 days, the first 24 hours I was hooked up to a morphine drip.
2. No driving for 6 weeks.
3. For the first six weeks you are to pick up nothing heavier than your baby, you are not even supposed to go out & push the pram.
4. I was breastfeeding, so I had lots of meals in the freezer for me to have during the day.
5. My husband had one day off & my relatives looked after my four year old, so it was just me & emily at home for 6 weeks. I thought it was great and I really bonded with her.
6. I was in a lot of pain afterwards, but nothing like the pain & discomfort of having my whatsit stitched together like a Christmas Turkey:ohmy: At least I could go to the loo in comfort!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
cheers guys - useful stuff.

I'm going to take the first week off after the birth, principally to look after our 2.5 year old daughter. Then hopefully I'll be able to get grandparents to help out for the week after that. Then we'll have to play it by ear.

getting really excited now!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I wasn't allowed to see our daughter born by C-section.Think this was due to her being put under.The birth was going ok but then the baby became stressed and possibly turned so she had to have an emergency one.Didn't take that long but missed the whole saga unfolding.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
After I had my ceasarean they couldn't get the tube out so I had to go under to have the wound opened up again :sick:, the surgeon had accidentally sewed it into me :ohmy:
That hurt more than childbirth!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Out of interest. What is the NHS policy on offering C-Sections rather than a natural birth? Would I be able to opt for one as a preference or would a doctor have to declare that it is a medical necessity for the health of me or my child?

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Good luck to you. All my 3 kids were born by c-section and can only speak as the Dad but all went well. No picnic for your wife afterwards for while.
Probably the most practical advice I can offer you is to have a pint as quickly as possible afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here