Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye Liverpool...Bye Bye Benitez?

Hmm, interesting.

If Barca are looking to replace Rijkaard (which I understand is very likely at the end of the season, unless the Champions League heads to Catalunya again), why would they make a point of saying the the most high-profile coach/manager available at the moment wouldn't be wanted/considered, unless they've already got someone lined up, of course.

Rijkaard has hinted he may leave at the end of the season, so even if he isn't pushed they could still need a new manager. IMO they should go all out for Wenger who's contract is up in the summer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only thing that may save him is a good result in Europe and the fact that they may have problems recruiting a better manager as it means getting one from another club and that usually takes time. Mourinho is the obvious choice but cannot take a job in Premier League this season as a condition of his pay off at Chelsea.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Benitez must go. No hope of winning the league, out of both domestic cup competitions and have been poor in Europe - laboured to get through their group. He has been backed with money but his rotation policy has bread inconsistency and ultimately failure.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was very telling the other day when a Liverpool player (I think it was Gerrard) was talking to the press about how they were still aiming to finish fourth, and how they'd do everything in their power to achieve that.

What does it say about Liverpool's standing (and the state of the game) if a club of their stature's highest ambition is now to finish fourth? Last time I checked, there were no medals for that.

I bet their fans were impressed...

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Last time I checked, there were no medals for that.

A lucrative European Cup run is enough for most when licking their wounds. All they have to do is get past the Latvian or Estonian CHAMPIONS, who are not deemed worthy of an automatic starting berth in the main tournament.

However, we are still being told that football is much better than ever before, despite teams like Luton and Bournemouth on the verge of bankruptcy, corrupt owners galore and 20(ish) year olds on the verge of signing £25m+ deals.

Not to mention the latest plan of playing ov£rs£as for the good of the game...

I love football. :rolleyes:

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
In 2005 Liverpool lost to Burnley in the FA Cup, Rafa got absolutely slated then he goes and wins the Champions League . Wouldnt surprise me if Liverpool beat Inter Milan on Tuesday and go onto win the Champions League again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmm, interesting.

If Barca are looking to replace Rijkaard (which I understand is very likely at the end of the season, unless the Champions League heads to Catalunya again), why would they make a point of saying the the most high-profile coach/manager available at the moment wouldn't be wanted/considered, unless they've already got someone lined up, of course.

Perhaps because mourinho is despised at Barcelona after the "Rijkaard is in the refs dressing room at half time with Anders Frisk"malarky a few years back (that turned out to be bullshit). The hierarchy on the board at the Nou Camp probably wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Perhaps because mourinho is despised at Barcelona after the "Rijkaard is in the refs dressing room at half time with Anders Frisk"malarky a few years back (that turned out to be bullshit). The hierarchy on the board at the Nou Camp probably wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

'Tis a very good point, Mr. 10, and one I'd completely forgotten about.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I hate barnsley

What's to hate about Barnsley, Dave?

As a Yorkshireman, I would say it's the north's very own version of the Isle of Wight ... a place that is rather charmingly stuck in the late 1950s.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
when I wa s kid, my Dad used to take us to Barnsley, where my aunt lived and I used to hate going there. Next door lived a strange family and I have developed my hatred of the place based on that.

And they beat Town in the playoffs two years ago!!!!

...and my Grandfather played for Barnsley in the 30's and their historian told me I was a liar until I proved he did play for them. He didnt apologise just told me the records were out of date......

seagullsss

Lofts Number 1 Fan!
Jan 1, 2008
liverpool aint like that they wont sack him mid-way through they will w8 till the end of the season benitez has proven critics wrong b4 by winning the champ league whos to say he wont do it again

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

After some of the stuff he's said i very much doubt they'd ever take him back.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Rijkaard has hinted he may leave at the end of the season, so even if he isn't pushed they could still need a new manager. IMO they should go all out for Wenger who's contract is up in the summer.

Wenger signed a new four/five year deal last Summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here