Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye Harvey's ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
my local has now stopped selling harveys - only a handful of people drank it, and they seem to find it more profitable now to rotate the ales on offer with a different one every month or so

whether harveys returns as part of this rotation remains to be seen

They have possibly signed up to one of the schemes that most brewers and wholesalers operate whereby they are told what they will get as the next real ale and it is changed every month .

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
There is clearly room for both.

I have recently ordered a few bottles of Jennings Cumberland Ale from this site www.classicales.co.uk it is great as is the minicask pedigree, it really is exactly the sames as bar pulled real ale.

Give it a go.

Dandyman

In London village.
'real ale' IS for oldies.. i wouldn't touch the stuff-

looks/smells like leftover washing up water..

I think you'll find it's illegal to sell beer to under 10s.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
theres a snobishness against lagers and that means lot of smaller brewers dont want to get involved, meanwhile we are paying a premium for the likes of Staropramen, Paulaner, Hoegaarden and Erdinger (i know some of these are owned by the big boys but they are still a league above the Stella and Fosters). rather suggests to me the smaller UK breweries are missing on a market. (snip)

(and selling bottled Erdinger, Tucher and other exotic lagers, noticing the trend).

May seem pedantry, but neither Hoegaarden nor Erdinger are lagers, they are both wheat beers.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
THIS.

Speaking of which, which pubs in Brighton do sell both?

The Lion and Lobster does
The Battle of Trafalgar sometimes does

Prince Albert does? Well at least they had Harveys, and Dark Star beer mats.

Pretty sure Wagon and Horse does as well.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
This is simply not true. A lot of the wine from the Harveys SHOP is stll cheaper than from wholesalers.

It may well be, but my mate doesn't buy it from the Harvey's shop, but direct from Harvey's. The stuff they supply to their tied houses comes with special stock control stickers and other security measures, and if you're caught selling stuff bought from a shop (even the Harvey's shop) they'll probably throw pans at you. Don't know the specific prices for the main spirits and wines, but fancier stuff like Sambuca and Tuaca they charge their pubs £25 a bottle, and you can get them in offies for £18-£19, and in Booker (the cash and carry off Lewes Road) for £15. Fact. Harveys are profiteering dunderweeds.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
THIS.

Speaking of which, which pubs in Brighton do sell both?

The Lion and Lobster does
The Battle of Trafalgar sometimes does

Not Brighton, but the Meantime Brewery in Charlton's two pubs in Greenwich (The Greenwich Union up from the train station, and The Old Brewery in the Royal Naval College) both do just two beers on handpump, Harvey's Best and Dark Star Hophead, alongside their own brand keg stuff (lager, wheat beer, porter, kolsch, etc). Highly recommended watering holes for those making the trip to the Valley next month.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
May seem pedantry, but neither Hoegaarden nor Erdinger are lagers, they are both wheat beers.

well aware, and an important clarification to make. the point was, theres a lot of foreign wheatbeer and decent lager coming in to the country and the smaller ale brewers dont really seem to be picking up the trend.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which, assuming that's because they're on a tied operation, is WORSE.

?

No even free houses sign up to theses agreements with wholesalers if they are not sure of which beer to try, as it takes the thinking and planning away from them. If they do well with a particular brand/type they can ask for that to be extended.

The big things is they agree to purchase a set minimum number of casks of each variety.

Wholesalers do not do this for the fun of it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Strangely, on thursday night I found another pub in Brighton which does not do Harveys !....... domino's ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The Bexhill Brewery

I read that and thought eh, then I googled and found out about the White Brewing Company in Bexhill, I never knew that and they have been going since 1995.

The do a

BrightonRocks.gif

as well

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I read that and thought eh, then I googled and found out about the White Brewing Company in Bexhill, I never knew that and they have been going since 1995.

The do a

BrightonRocks.gif

as well

thats what I meant !

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Generally prefer Dark Star to Harveys, but it’s also good to see that other new brewers are starting up in Sussex. Anchor Springs in Littlehampton and Kissingate in Crawley have appeared in the last 12 months. It’s all about choice and variety – so whether it’s real ales in the UK or craft ales in the States it’s good to see that after so many mega-mergers of the big brewers there are still a lot of small companies punching well above their weight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here