Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying train tickets in advance

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just to mention GroupSave4 - not sure how much of the Country it covers or if it's off-peak times only - but may be worth checking out for away matches?

If there are 4 adults travelling together (or Group save3 if there are only 3 of you) can be a good deal because 4 (or 3) people travel for the price of 2:

National Rail Enquiries - GroupSave Calendar

It was a bargain the other Sunday for my 16 year old DD and her 15/16 year old friends to go to Thorpe Park by train. Four of them being 16 were considered adults, so we bought a GroupSave4 saving half the fares and then there were a couple of 15 year olds who were charged a quid ('kids for a quid' to London).

Southern Railways wouldn't let us book online but we just went to Brighton station and paid on the day. I do often buy Advance tickets but you don't always want to be restricted to an exact train in case you miss it.

You can book groupsave 4 on the first great western website if you CBA queueing at the station on the day.

... and, last night, for a trip to Birmingham today, Southern's website offered me an off-peak day return for the whole journey, even though I was travelling from Glynde to London Bridge on a train that reached London before 09:00.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Southern Railway also let's you get a network card discount in the week for less than the minimum fare!

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I managed to get a return from Worthing to Nottingham on last day of season for £7.40! (excluding underground) Did that at megatrain.com but cheap tickets don't last long

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
That RedSpottedHanky looks decent.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was thinking of doing potg for Oldham last week so looked up the train price (late on) and I live right next to Euston Station... £70!!! Went to Daggers v Charlton instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here