Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a PC Advice needed if possible

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I currently have a fairly old desktop PC and it is XP with just 512 memory. in new year I want to get a new tower (as the monitor etc are fine) and looking to have one with 2 or 3g memory. the one thing i would like to be able to do is have the ability to connect my pc to my TV, which i currently cannot do. Does anyone know a good place online to look at, other than the usual high street shops. Am looking to be as cheap as possible really

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I build my own as well.

The connection between pc and tv is down to two things.

1. The graphics card on the pc ( it may well be intergrated, i.e built in to the motherboard) must have two connections on it, probably vga and dvi, one to go to the pc monitor, and the other to the tv.

2. The tv must have a connection socket in order to recieve the info from the pc, either a vga or rgb (red/green/blue). If it's a new flat panel it should have, if it's old, it won't.

I stand corrected as usual if I'm wrong.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Build my own PC's so can't say much about the actual products but never had any issues with anything I've ordered from Ebuyer:

Desktop PCs | Desktop PC | Desktop Computers | Desktop Computer - Ebuyer.com

Thanks Brakespear. Just had a quick look and given my fairly limited knowledge i thought this one looked to be a pretty good deal. What thinks you? do you see any gaping ommisions

The AspireRevo R3610

Processor
◦Intel Atom 330
◦NVIDIA Ion Chipset

Memory
◦2GB DDR2 800MHz
◦Expandable to 4GB
◦2 x soDIMM slot

Hard Drive
◦250GB SATA

Optical Drive
◦No Optical Drive
Software
◦Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
◦Acer Arcade™ Deluxe
◦Acer eRecovery Management
◦Adobe® Reader®
◦eSobi™
◦McAfee® Internet Security Suite 2009 Trial2
◦Microsoft® Office 2007 Trial with Microsoft® Works 8.5
◦MyWinLocker®
◦Nero® 9 Essentials
◦Oberon GameZone
Display
◦Monitor Not Included
Graphics

◦NVIDIA Ion - GeForce 9400 - up to 896MB

Audio
◦No Speakers
◦High Definition Audio Support

Input Devices
◦Revo Wireless keyboard & mouse
Networking
◦LAN: Gigabit Ethernet, Wake-on-LAN ready
◦WLAN: 802.11 b/g
◦No Modem
Power Supply

◦65 W adapter with power cord
Dimensions

◦180 (L) mm

◦180(H) mm

◦30 (W) mm (withoutbezel)
Interfaces
Front:
◦Two USB 2.0 ports
◦Multi-in-1 card reader
◦High-definition headphone and microphone jacks
Rear:
◦Four USB 2.0 ports
◦DC-in jack
◦Ethernet (RJ-45) port
◦D-Sub VGA port
◦HDMI™ port
◦eSATA port
◦Optical S/PDIF port

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
meant to say its £249.99

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Thanks Brakespear. Just had a quick look and given my fairly limited knowledge i thought this one looked to be a pretty good deal. What thinks you? do you see any gaping ommisions

specs
Unless I'm missing something that has integrated graphics rather than a seperate graphics card which I wouldn't want myself but may be enough for your purposes.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
xcept for one problem: while the Atom has just enough horsepower to deal with common, everyday tasks, the platform it's available on is an outdated throwback. Intel pairs Atom with its 945G-series chipsets, which first saw life way back in 2005

Nor would I.

Look in the Friday ad tomorrow.

In the computer section, there's normally a little boxed ad from a small firm in littlehampton that would give you far more bangs for your buck.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
xcept for one problem: while the Atom has just enough horsepower to deal with common, everyday tasks, the platform it's available on is an outdated throwback. Intel pairs Atom with its 945G-series chipsets, which first saw life way back in 2005

Nor would I.

Look in the Friday ad tomorrow.

In the computer section, there's normally a little boxed ad from a small firm in littlehampton that would give you far more bangs for your buck.

Now that would really be handy. as i live in Littlehampton...many thanks for the input guys, appreciated

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the computer is not so much the issue as what connectors your TV will take. if it has a 15pin D-Sub or similar connector it will take the ordinary RGB output from the PC. alternativly you can use the HDMI if the TV has that. other than that, are there cards to output to coaxial? ive done coaxial ariel into a computer.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Although in the past I was a fan of AMD processors the way forward for multicore is definately Intel look for an Intel ulticore processor and if your going to connect it to the TV why not get a built in Blue Ray player (ensuring the right connectors).

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
the computer is not so much the issue as what connectors your TV will take. if it has a 15pin D-Sub or similar connector it will take the ordinary RGB output from the PC. alternativly you can use the HDMI if the TV has that. other than that, are there cards to output to coaxial? ive done coaxial ariel into a computer.

Have looked at back of HDTV and have a RGB socket there. My computer tower only has the one connection, the rgb to the monitor. Does it literally just have to be unplugged from monitor and in to TV, or am i being over optomistic lol

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have looked at back of HDTV and have a RGB socket there. My computer tower only has the one connection, the rgb to the monitor. Does it literally just have to be unplugged from monitor and in to TV, or am i being over optomistic lol

not tried it myself, but i dont see why not. plug it in an have a go, then select the correct input (jast as you might to switch to video/DVD player etc)

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
not tried it myself, but i dont see why not. plug it in an have a go, then select the correct input (jast as you might to switch to video/DVD player etc)

shall have a faff around tomorrow and see what happens, (day off) so gives me something exciting to do...thanks again for help

highway61

Jun 30, 2009

Well that was simple, even for me, PC now connected to TV. Thanks guys

I think you have no need to buy a new pc. You have XP, which will be supported for at least another 5 years, and you have a tower, to which you can slot in new cards. Suggest you find a computer fair like I did a year ago; I bought a stick of 1GB DDR RAM for £18 and easily fitted it myself to my 2002 pc, which is still going strong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here