Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a New Kitchen

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Anyone have any particularly good/bad experiences with kitchen installations?

Just moving into my new home next Friday (Yeah, Friday 13th - what could go wrong when completing a house purchase?) and the kitchen is the main thing I want to get sorted out. But what' s the best way of getting a new kitchen?

My main query, I think, is how you go about getting it all measured up and finding the cupboards & style you want, and then getting it fitted. I know that the shops can fit it, but I've heard that they tend to charge a ridiculous amount. But if I was to walk into Magnet and choose some fancy kitchen and get it all made to spec, how would I then get Mr KitchenFitter along to fit it - confident that he knows how it's all supposed to be put together? Would Magnet just send it all in parts that Mr KitchenFitter could happily rock up the next day, and put it all together?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Just moving into my new home next Friday (Yeah, Friday 13th - what could go wrong when completing a house purchase?) and the kitchen is the main thing I want to get sorted out. But what' s the best way of getting a new kitchen?

My main query, I think, is how you go about getting it all measured up and finding the cupboards & style you want, and then getting it fitted. I know that the shops can fit it, but I've heard that they tend to charge a ridiculous amount. But if I was to walk into Magnet and choose some fancy kitchen and get it all made to spec, how would I then get Mr KitchenFitter along to fit it - confident that he knows how it's all supposed to be put together? Would Magnet just send it all in parts that Mr KitchenFitter could happily rock up the next day, and put it all together?

Watch the extras like plumbing, tiling and connection to electrical points they can be loaded if the fitter gets the work from the showroom on a price.

D

Deleted member 18477

hmm got a new kitchen a few months back. went to grahams in eastbourne. basically i took a drawing of the room measurements exactly and any weird shapes, walls that stick out etc all on the drawing. you can then talk to someone and they'll show you styles etc and worktops. once decided on style you can tell them about any specifics you want. like drawers, cupboards, space for fridge, freezer, cooker.

not sure about the fitting tbh as i fitted the kitchen myself with my old man (saved a fortune) except the worktop (carpenter) and sink, taps etc (plumber). hopefully someone else will know more about the fitting aspect if you cant do it yourself.

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
hi well i work in B&Q showrooms and i believe the best thing to do is to to get the kitchen and the fitter from the same place.
It saves a lot of hassell and won't take as long to complete as they are use to working with that particular type of kitchen.
the reason why installation is more expensive in shops is because of the garentees you get with the kitchen(well at least with B&Q it is).
and if you need it B&Q offer up to 4 years 0% finance so you can afford an even better kitchen.
hope this helps

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven

You are right in your assumption that retailers that arrange their fitters to fit the kitchens tend to be very expensive. I've just had 2 fitted and would be happy to recommend the guy who fitted them. If you would like to see his work I'm happy to show you his work. PM me if you require any further info.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the fitting is expensive, but Mr KitchenFitter will be too, just a little less. i've paid for two new fitted kitchens, from Ikea and Homebase, and happy with the work both times (i didnt have to pay myself though...). key advantages of the fitters is that they know the kit and are quick (four days last one, including striping old) and the whole install is guaranteed. the homebase chap did some extra electical work that wasnt charged for either.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We bought ours from Wren Kitchens, very good quality, good prices and easy to deal with. Then got an independent kitched fitter (recommended by another NSCer) to install it. You'll need to factor in a plumber and sparky, but I think we did it for a lot less than going to Homebase/Magnet etc.

gibbo414

Oct 8, 2004
Being a carpenter i use magnet and howdens / howdens is for trade only but they will visit and plan your kitchen for you any probs pm me.+ good discount

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Go to the ikea web site, they have a kitchen planner that you can download and play with to see where you want everything to go. As kitchen units are all the same size, once you have planned your layout, go to whereever you want to buy it from and give them the plan; they should be able to work it out from that.
I fitted my own kitchen a while back which I got from ikea (which meant a coup,e of trips to Croydon, unfortunately)

Lush

Mods' Pet
Ikea will always have at least one part out of stock. Usually something annoying like sides to cupboards or cupboard feet. This can be a disaster if you buy and collect it only a few days before your fitters are booked as you have nowhere to store it. Be prepared for a few trips to Croydon. Their kitchens are good value and look smart once done though.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
B & Q will come and measure and plan your kitchen for free. They will give you the printouts and then you can use them or not as you wish. Always the place to start though.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Manhattan in Lancing, well known manufacturer who supply lots of new builds but also have a direct arm to the company and do retail work.

They have a full design service.

Good prices and comes straight from the factory.

Manhattan Kitchens

Last edited:

Hiring the fitter directly through the supplier can have pitfalls, and it can be an advantage.

They might only do the 'stock' fitting, and charge you through the nose for any deviations from the exact kitchen layout and materials you bought.
They might still do a shlock job, with bodged worktop mitres and dubious hanging of cupboards, and try telling you that's how it comes and you have to live with it.
They can be busy, and if they encounter one thing that requires they return to finish it - you will have a long wait, and be making loads of calls asking wtf are they coming back.

They have to have done the same kitchen styles many times, and be aware of all the issues.
They will have all the right tools, and can probably get any missing pieces right away. (be careful then about buying the last 'discontinued' kitchen set)
They need to impress you and keep their nose clean with the supplier that recommends or hires them.
They have to come with some kind of guarantee - make sure that you get something about that from them too btw.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
B & Q will come and measure and plan your kitchen for free. They will give you the printouts and then you can use them or not as you wish. Always the place to start though.

This, we went to B&Q first (well they came to us) but in the end went to a small local firm in hawkhurst. B&Q got the ball rolling but were abit too mainstream but the effort they made was great and i think they have more choice now.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Argh. Thanks for all the responses. Seems to be a bit of a 50/50 split in favour of the retailer doing the fitting, and Mr KitchenFitter. Also thanks for the offers of local traders - but I'm actually in Luton.

[MENTION=3001]gibbo414[/MENTION] - How does the Howdens thing work? I've had a look at their site in the past which seems to have some good variety - but would I then need to go to a local trader and check whether they work with Howdens kit, and get them to come over and measure it up, plan the kitchen and then order all the parts?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Go to the ikea web site, they have a kitchen planner that you can download and play with to see where you want everything to go. As kitchen units are all the same size, once you have planned your layout, go to whereever you want to buy it from and give them the plan; they should be able to work it out from that.
I fitted my own kitchen a while back which I got from ikea (which meant a coup,e of trips to Croydon, unfortunately)

That, unfortunately is not correct. We've had people do exactly this (Ikea to Howdens) and think they match up; Heights of units, corner units, no service voids in the main

Argh. Thanks for all the responses. Seems to be a bit of a 50/50 split in favour of the retailer doing the fitting, and Mr KitchenFitter. Also thanks for the offers of local traders - but I'm actually in Luton.

[MENTION=3001]gibbo414[/MENTION] - How does the Howdens thing work? I've had a look at their site in the past which seems to have some good variety - but would I then need to go to a local trader and check whether they work with Howdens kit, and get them to come over and measure it up, plan the kitchen and then order all the parts?

B+Q fitting have picked up their game somewhat from an alltime low, but contractors for sheds usually have a limited budget and time to work to.
The 'designer' wont be the fitter for a start, so the fitters often rock up 8am on Monday blind.
If time becomes tight on your project, they'll have to end up cutting corners to finish on time. Not their fault, but the 'designer' who said it 'would only take <say> 7 days not 8..'
And lets not talk about B+Q quality eh..

Better to have an independent dedicated Kitchen fitter, who isn't driven into one brand, will have fitted different makes, and can offer his experience to you. He will have seen the job from the start, and is able to organically adjust elements of the job to suit you as he fits it.

For a start, why not look here: - http://www.professionalfitters.org/

:)

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Better to have an independent dedicated Kitchen fitter, who isn't driven into one brand, will have fitted different makes, and can offer his experience to you. He will have seen the job from the start, and is able to organically adjust elements of the job to suit you as he fits it.

For a start, why not look here: - http://www.professionalfitters.org/

:)

Thanks Rowdey - my query, on using a dedicated fitter, is how do they incorporate the design element into it? Will they be just as professional and efficient when it comes to that side? Will they have the same access to all different designs and makes, and be able to effectively build my kitchen virtually before sourcing the parts and fitting it?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Look at small local companies & get comparison quotes.

I recently went to a local company for both a new kitchen & bathroom. Can't fault the service from an initial visit to take measurements and planning/preparation of quotation to installation. They have a showroom, so I was able to go in an select fittings, flooring, units & worktops etc and negotiate the price. Fitting of both took around 3 weeks by one fitter (including plumbing & electrics). This also included strip out and disposal of the existing fittings. Decided to do the tiling myself and am happy with the final result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here