Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a Flat?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The best financial advice I was ever given was "Liquidise your assets" and i've been doing it ever since! :drink: :drink: :drink:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wages haven't tripled along with house prices over the last ten years so something's got to give. Can understand how couples can still afford to buy but if you're looking to buy on your own....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Cheeky Monkey said:
Wages haven't tripled along with house prices over the last ten years so something's got to give. Can understand how couples can still afford to buy but if you're looking to buy on your own....

People never have been able to buy on their own. Back in the 60's prices were on average 6K for a house around Brighton and the average wage was £20 a week. Up north house were 3K which is why my ex and I moved up north when we married.
It was the same then, that you had to have two incomes to afford it.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I bought on my own and i have below ave wage. My saviour was i manged to save up 10% of the total value of the property so my wages didn't matter. For an ave 150K loan, your mortgage will be about £650 a month (start with interest only)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I know people who've been waiting for this predicted property crash to happen since 1999. And now they are very very sorry.

So my advice is Buy and Buy soon. Even if prices do fall, they will back where they started in no time at all as there will be a mass rush for whatever property is out there from all those who have been waiting for a crash.... which will mean prices will of course shoot back up.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yorkie said:
In 40 years I have only ever known the housing market to crash once. The rest of the time it has risen and kept on rising.

But when it did crash, it bloody crashed big time!

My brother bought a flat in the eighties for 60K, sold it during the crash for 32K. Took him years to pay off the negative equity, in fact, I think he's only recently managed it.

Fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
eastlondonseagull said:
But when it did crash, it bloody crashed big time!

My brother bought a flat in the eighties for 60K, sold it during the crash for 32K. Took him years to pay off the negative equity, in fact, I think he's only recently managed it.

Fingers crossed it won't happen again.
my dad did the same, got a 2 bed house for 40k went to sell it suring the crash and it had halved in value. He kept it and still has it to this day (rents it) and its worth 200k :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here