Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a Flat?

Bert365

May 7, 2006
Im currently looking into buying a flat fpr £157000 with the intrest rates going up last week and people saying the house markets gonna crash is this a good time to buy or should a wait a few years and carry on saving the money that i would be spending on the mortgage.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Bert365 said:
Im currently looking into buying a flat fpr £157000 with the intrest rates going up last week and people saying the house markets gonna crash is this a good time to buy or should a wait a few years and carry on saving the money that i would be spending on the mortgage.

Nobody can answer this unless they have crystal balls.

If its a place to live in and you avoid landlord costs then go ahead.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
At the moment demand is still far greater than supply, that suggests to me that the market will keep rising, but hell...what do I know?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Bert365 said:

If i had that sort of money i would never buy a flat.I would hang on.It will eventually crash.It has to

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
In 40 years I have only ever known the housing market to crash once. The rest of the time it has risen and kept on rising.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That is about the sum of it, there was a crash in the early 90's when interest rates shot through the roof, lots of people had their homes repossessed and there were bargains to be had for one and all...unless of course you were still trying to pay an horrendous mortgage having had your home taken from you.

We were talking about this today, the time when the interest rate doubled in two days to about 15%, if that happened today we would all be on the streets in days, thank goodness for an independant Bank of England.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Yorkie said:
In 40 years I have only ever known the housing market to crash once. The rest of the time it has risen and kept on rising.
the gorgeous Yorkie is spot on. I personally would buy. I bought a flat last january. I was waiting for a price drop for 2 years prior and never came. I really cant see a crash at worst a slight dip, but in general will always go up. Buy Buy Buy ive made about 20k on mine in a year and it was 1 bed flat.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
my guess is that property prices will still rise, albeit gradually.
less & less land is being sold off by councils to developers and what with the invasion of people from EU countries, the demand for housing just keeps increasing.

don't leave it too late to get on the ladder.
if you can afford it now, jump on!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There's no time like the present, if you have a steady job then go for it.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
moggy said:
my guess is that property prices will still rise, albeit gradually.
less & less land is being sold off by councils to developers and what with the invasion of people from EU countries, the demand for housing just keeps increasing.

don't leave it too late to get on the ladder.
if you can afford it now, jump on!
thats exactly right. Where are you buying if you dont mind me asking?

I would defo go for it. Im 25, have a shit job but have a mortgage. I cant go out as much as i use too etc, but if you can get on, do it. If you don't the money you save each month will only cover the cost of the property price increase. Good Luck :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
people who waited for the Daily Express weekly predicted property crash 5 years ago have lost around £ 100000 on a standard £ 200000 property, prices may stabalise but a crash is not going to happen

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Uncle Spielberg said:
people who waited for the Daily Express weekly predicted property crash 5 years ago have lost around £ 100000 on a standard £ 200000 property, prices may stabalise but a crash is not going to happen

I don't take tips from you:lolol:

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Uncle Spielberg said:
people who waited for the Daily Express weekly predicted property crash 5 years ago have lost around � 100000 on a standard � 200000 property, prices may stabalise but a crash is not going to happen

Oh shit. We're all DOOMED.

DOOMED, I TELLS YA

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
as mortgage costs increase, these rises are passed on from the landlord to the tennant anyhow...

if you can afford it, go for it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Buy the flat. I doubt if the bottom end of the market will collapse because if prices fall all the first time buyers who cannot afford the current prices will be able to enter the market..and this will shore things up a little.

Oh, and the other thing. Interest rates wont go too high in this country otherwise people will switch to lenders from the eurozone where their interest rates have been historically lower than ours for decades.

As long as you can afford the mortgage you should buy.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Gully said:
At the moment demand is still far greater than supply, that suggests to me that the market will keep rising, but hell...what do I know?
Agreed, especially relevant in thr South East where future demand is outstripping supply by the most significant amount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here