Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butternut Squash

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Roasted butternut squash is indeed a wonderful, wonderful thing. Welcome to the enlightened side.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Scotty Mac is the expert in matters of the Butternut Squash, drop him a PM. :)

Last edited:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Great for soups. Fry onions, add squash,stock, tin of kidney beans and whisk up. Add chirizo if you prefer. Great rich soup . Just ate it 5 minutes ago.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm trying to grow some but nothing happening. Any tips out there?

Plant seeds and treat as the other members of the Cucurbitaceae family. I am growing 3 plants on my plot as we speak. The spiel on the seed packet suggests that, once picked, stored in a cool dry place, they will keep for four months.
I'm not sure if i'm going to like them but this will cement my relationship with the fragrant and well planted, Mrs Vegster

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Cut in two, scoop out the seeds, lightly drizzle with olive oil then bake for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, fry up a thinly sliced red onion with a grated courgette and some sliced mushrooms. Fry this mixture until golden brown then season well and add some crumbled feta cheese. Then put the fried mixture in the scooped out squash, crumble a bit more feta on the top and bake for 10-15 minutes and you have a hearty meal.

Only discovered butternut squash recently myself, so definitely on the lookout for some more recipes. My favourite is sweet potato, which I had this evening roasted with loads of other veggies then stirred into cous cous with half a pot of pesto...well tasty!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cut in two, scoop out the seeds, lightly drizzle with olive oil then bake for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, fry up a thinly sliced red onion with a grated courgette and some sliced mushrooms. Fry this mixture until golden brown then season well and add some crumbled feta cheese. Then put the fried mixture in the scooped out squash, crumble a bit more feta on the top and bake for 10-15 minutes and you have a hearty meal.

Only discovered butternut squash recently myself, so definitely on the lookout for some more recipes. My favourite is sweet potato, which I had this evening roasted with loads of other veggies then stirred into cous cous with half a pot of pesto...well tasty!

Sounds a bit light on manly curry ? can this be served with a Madras or Jalfriezi filling ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sounds a bit light on manly curry ? can this be served with a Madras or Jalfriezi filling ?

Of course, definitely a versatile vegetable, would go well with something like tandoori chicken...I usually have roast sweet potato with jerk chicken, rice and peas, for a Caribbean feast!

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Plant seeds and treat as the other members of the Cucurbitaceae family. I am growing 3 plants on my plot as we speak. The spiel on the seed packet suggests that, once picked, stored in a cool dry place, they will keep for four months.
I'm not sure if i'm going to like them but this will cement my relationship with the fragrant and well planted, Mrs Vegster

Strange, as I'm growing next to Courgettes, and they are growing really well, but not a sausage with the Squash. At least I'll get to try out the fried courgette flowers with cream cheese!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
In my experience they grow easily in this part of the world.

If you like a good 'mash' then try a mixture of mashed BS, mashed potato, mashed parsnip all with a tablespoonful of horseradish !

Yum

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Soup soup soup soup soup!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

I've tried and tried to like sweet potato but failed. I hate the taste.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here