Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butterfly spotting thread.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Today I saw a Red Admiral, Cabbage White and a Blue and the other day I saw a Small Tortoiseshell.

I like butterflies.

What have you spotted this Summer ?.

That is all.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Very little. It seems they are in decline. I've seen a couple of cabbage whites but very little else.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've spotted 2 butterfly spotting threads recently...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
There was a butterfly in my conservatory today but unfortunatly the cat run off with it before I had chance to identify what it was.

R.I.P butterfly :angel:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Early on I saw an orange tip and a brimstone...back in Feb I saw a couple of red admirals...more recently it has just been small blues and cabbage whites...plus a couple of brown coloured ones that I couldn't identify...think they were gatekeepers.

This is a pretty good website if you are a budding lepidopterist:

British Butterflies - A Photographic Guide by Steven Cheshire

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The decline of the butterfly has happened incredibly quick. I remember 15 years ago they were everywhere, there were always red admirals in my back garden and every now and then you'd see a peacock. Now you barely see any at all.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I saw a fully grown male stag last night, antlers and all up the downs, Sunday I saw a baby weasel and was hit in the face by a dragon fly ... Plenty of red admirals and cabbage whites up there as well ..

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Having been to the Butterfly house at London Zoo I have seen some very rare butterflies and moths this year. There was one moth that had no mouth and spent its entire life (about 2 days) in one place on a branch. Though I seem to have neglected to take a picture.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Vegster`s barmy mum once told us that she had a Rear Admiral sitting on here compost heap.

Fine way to treat your uniform we said.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Spotted these in NY last year down by the ferry docks.

Hundreds of the critters, but I haven`t a clue what type they are ? Anyone ?

Attachments

• 100_1871.JPG
    100_1871.JPG
    785.1 KB · Views: 60

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
That would be a Monarch, aka Milkweed, named after the poisonous plant the caterpillars feed on. They store the toxins in their body, making them highly unpleasant, if not fatal, for birds to eat. The butterflies themselves are also remarkable, as they migrate thousands of miles to breed (somewhere in Mexico, if memory serves, though it is nearly a quarter of a century now since I graduated with a distinctly second-rate Zoology degree). In certain spots, tens of millions of them congregate together - I think David Attenborough went to one for his insects series, so there's probably a clip on YouTube.

Have seen most of those previously mentioned so far this year, as well as a White Admiral and a Comma on my allotment in Patcham.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My daughter used to like butterflies when she was young and used to rush in from the garden shouting about the flutter byes she'd just seen

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here