Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bus surfing with a knife in Brighton

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What further restrictions should we have in place for knives?
I don't know, not being an expert in the field, but it seems pretty clear there is potential wriggle room on this stuff

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Is it not time to make owning / posessing / carrying these "zombie" knives the same as carrying a firearm?

Put the knives in the same category as guns. You can't just go on Amazon and buy a viable firearm; why can you buy these knives? Outlaw the sale and punish the sellers as you would punish the seller of a firearm.

Impose the same penalty for selling / owning a zombie knife as you would a firearm.
After the first reports from Southport, I thought of posting something about making knives illegal, but thinking it impractical Because of kitchen knives etc.
I must admit I don’t know a great deal about knives, but certain kinds of knives - absolutely.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't know, not being an expert in the field, but it seems pretty clear there is potential wriggle room on this stuff
Not really to be honest.

The law is pretty watertight.

It’s the sentencing that’s the issue.

The police policy of “think child” is exploited by these little chav types and their solicitors and gets abused so that the people that “think child” should be safeguarding get victimised and the little criminals get mental health days to Chessington.

It’s all back to front and inside out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The problem is pretty much every home in the country has multiple freely accessible kitchen knives that are lethal weapons.

I've never tried to get hold of a gun, but it would be significantly more challenging than arming myself with a knife.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The vast majority of knives I’ve come across are standard kitchen knives.

A few bladed multi tool type things and an assortment of hammers, chisels, meat cleavers, machetes, and screwdrivers.

It’s rife out there at the moment.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The vast majority of knives I’ve come across at work are standard kitchen knives.

A few bladed multi tool type things and an assortment of hammers, chisels, meat cleavers, machetes, and screwdrivers.

It’s rife out there at the moment.
Needs a clamp down? (Pun intended) Or are we still too sensitive to stop and search re racial profiling?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If I knocked at your door with a roll of carpet on my shoulder and a zombie knife in my teeth, I am pretty sure you would not let me in.
IMG_3157.gif

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Man's just a carpet fitter isn't it.
Many moons ago when I worked in Irlam, Manchester I was cutting up a carpet ready to load on my van in a warehouse of a shop, pulled up the shutters and some kids were stealing my radio cassette thing out of the van, I shouted at them, grabbed my carpet stretcher, knife attached to my belt and ran after them across a car park leading to a field, as it happens a police car saw everything and they got out and presumed they were chasing after the assailants, nope....
They stopped me and threw me in the back of the police car and were going to take me down the nick and book me in. A little chat, later they let me go after I mentioned my brother in law was an officer and my little brother was at Hendon undergoing training.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Many moons ago when I worked in Irlam, Manchester I was cutting up a carpet ready to load on my van in a warehouse of a shop, pulled up the shutters and some kids were stealing my radio cassette thing out of the van, I shouted at them, grabbed my carpet stretcher, knife attached to my belt and ran after them across a car park leading to a field, as it happens a police car saw everything and they got out and presumed they were chasing after the assailants, nope....
They stopped me and threw me in the back of the police car and were going to take me down the nick and book me in.

Did they need a carpet fitted?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
After the first reports from Southport, I thought of posting something about making knives illegal, but thinking it impractical Because of kitchen knives etc.
I must admit I don’t know a great deal about knives, but certain kinds of knives - absolutely.
I think that this video is actually quite helpful in a sense - It highlights the type of 'knife' that some are carrying, it's not a bog standard kitchen knife, it's a lethal weapon.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The problem is pretty much every home in the country has multiple freely accessible kitchen knives that are lethal weapons.

I've never tried to get hold of a gun, but it would be significantly more challenging than arming myself with a knife.
We recently went to a plant fair, where one of the exhibitors was selling bespoke garden tools.
One of the tools on show was a gardening knife which could've been mistaken for a commando knife, they looked that similar.
We did hear a passing comment from the exhibitor on answering a ladies comment on whether he should be selling that type of knife.
His comment was along the lines that he didn't think that the type of people who went to these fairs would purchase the knife for any othe reason, other than it's sole purpose.

@Goldstone1976 may concur on said knife ???

Tiberious Two

Aug 5, 2021
A few years ago I went to a seminar on knife crime. There was an input from a Police Scotland person and they said the worst thing any Police service or public body can do is show images of the Knives seized as this had the effect of making other youths think they had to carry knives for self defence as everyone else had one. It actually made a lot of sense.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We recently went to a plant fair, where one of the exhibitors was selling bespoke garden tools.
One of the tools on show was a gardening knife which could've been mistaken for a commando knife, they looked that similar.
We did hear a passing comment from the exhibitor on answering a ladies comment on whether he should be selling that type of knife.
His comment was along the lines that he didn't think that the type of people who went to these fairs would purchase the knife for any othe reason, other than it's sole purpose.

@Goldstone1976 may concur on said knife ???
It was indeed a somewhat alarming blade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here