Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bus surfing with a knife in Brighton

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Argus haven't got it just yet. But I would assume once they do there will be suitably unintelligible article.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
and theres me wishing he'd have fallen off, in doing so falling on his blade and gutting himself and then getting pancaked by the following motor. That'd learn him!
Wouldn’t do it again!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Is it not time to make owning / posessing / carrying these "zombie" knives the same as carrying a firearm?

Put the knives in the same category as guns. You can't just go on Amazon and buy a viable firearm; why can you buy these knives? Outlaw the sale and punish the sellers as you would punish the seller of a firearm.

Impose the same penalty for selling / owning a zombie knife as you would a firearm.
The problem with banning knives is that everyone has some in their kitchen so it's terribly difficult to define what to ban; ISTR that under the last government's initial proposals many kitchen knives would have been banned.
Another problem is that it's quite easy to make a knife if you have a hacksaw and file.
You could restrict blade sales to registered shops and face to face only but then where does that leave tradesmen/chefs/divers etc who use blades for their work ?
IMHO the best approach is to make youth sentencing for certain knife crimes much more severe and more aligned with adult sentencing.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Stupid little ****.

Getting rid of the knives is obviously the bigger issue here, but as an aside, would it not be quite straightforward to design buses without any convenient finger holds?
No. Finger in the dam approach!

There should be a prodder that the bus driver can activate to get rid of the dickhead.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The problem with banning knives is that everyone has some in their kitchen so it's terribly difficult to define what to ban; ISTR that under the last government's initial proposals many kitchen knives would have been banned.
Another problem is that it's quite easy to make a knife if you have a hacksaw and file.
You could restrict blade sales to registered shops and face to face only but then where does that leave tradesmen/chefs/divers etc who use blades for their work ?
IMHO the best approach is to make youth sentencing for certain knife crimes much more severe and more aligned with adult sentencing.
It's the carrying of knifes that you can reduce with legislation and sentencing guidelines

So I shouldn't be able to get my kitchen knife and and walk around Churchill Square holding it. That's clear enough isn't it?

People carrying knives for legitimate reasons, tradesmen, chefs etc, or people who have just gone to John Lewes and bought a new kitchen knife shouldn't be caught up in this, because the knife is securely packaged or stowed away in a suitable container when outside their house or place of work.

I really don't think there is a legitimate concern of normal people getting caught up in this

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Stupid little ****.

Getting rid of the knives is obviously the bigger issue here, but as an aside, would it not be quite straightforward to design buses without any convenient finger holds?
I don't doubt you could, but I'd assume that this would have the unwanted side effect of also making it harder to maintain the bus (I'm guessing that's the engine access he's holding onto).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't doubt you could, but I'd assume that this would have the unwanted side effect of also making it harder to maintain the bus (I'm guessing that's the engine access he's holding onto).
I don't imagine that is an insurmountable conundrum for you clever engineer types, tbh.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Yep.

The law pertaining to knives as offensive weapons is perfectly adequate.

It’s the sentencing which is not.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't imagine that is an insurmountable conundrum for you clever engineer types, tbh.
Probably not, but I'd tend to put the risk/cost of a mechanic occasionally accidentally chopping off their finger while faffing around with the bus higher up my priority list than stopping the odd twat from clinging onto the back of it.

Side opening hatch rather than top opening would probably solve both problems. There may be some other issue in the depot why that wouldn't work or would cause more trouble than it's worth.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The public horror and outcry over the Dunblane shootings led to the sort of crackdown on guns which has presented any similar incident taking place since.

If there is anything good to come out of the Southport incident yesterday, it would be good if that tragedy led to something similar for knives.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The public horror and outcry over the Dunblane shootings led to the sort of crackdown on guns which has presented any similar incident taking place since.

If there is anything good to come out of the Southport incident yesterday, it would be good if that tragedy led to something similar for knives.
What further restrictions should we have in place for knives?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Great shout.

But I fear the aftermath will be focussed on less positive discussions

The other thing I'd like to come out of this is more clarity. I watch a lot of news etc and if i'm honest I don't know what the law is. I don't know what the sentence will be. I don't know what powers the police have.

So if I don't, what chance has a 16 year of being able to make clear decisions about their actions?

It needs to be as clear as "The police can search you. if you are caught carrying a knife, you get a sentence of x"

The law of sexual consent with minors has got a very clear message. People even at that age are largely aware of it. The consequences of carrying knives needs to be clearer for young people. There needs to be a clear vision of the action and consequence for them

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
“Lynn, idea for a programme”

@ManOfSussex
IMG_3629.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here