Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley & Villa no mainline trains after Three Bridges

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Shame that, up to a point anyway, they couldn't co-ordinate some of these closures, and try to complete them at the same time.

They probably do but the problem is an ageing infrastructure. When I was young I don't remember any engineering works then I think there were a few derailments due to cracked tracks back in the early 2000s and many trains had reduced speed limits. Can't fix everything at once and I'm guessing there is a limited amount of qualified engineers that are working on other networks as well.

That said, it's still a ****ing pain in the arse.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Apologies if title was misleading. Happy its been amended for me. Yes I genuinely read it as no trains running Brighton to Lewes
Not overly clear. Helps somewhat trains running between Brighton and Lewes. As railway will have replacement busses will club still have additional park and rides or not?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No Southern trains in and out of Victoria for two weeks.

No idea what that means to Clapham Junction, Balham, Wandsworth Common and Battersea Park.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Christ.

You'll probably have to walk to a tube station :eek:

:lolol:

Well I live within 4 mins walking distance, but you've missed the point.

Bit f@@@@ if you are going out of London on a train into areas where TUBE STATIONS DON'T EXIST.

Love having a lesson in London transport from a tourist.:p

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

No idea what that means to Clapham Junction, Balham, Wandsworth Common and Battersea Park.

The southern trains are going to london bridge instead of victoria. They can still stop at Clapham, can't they? (genuinely not sure, never really paid attention on few my trips to london bridge with thameslink)

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
The southern trains are going to london bridge instead of victoria. They can still stop at Clapham, can't they? (genuinely not sure, never really paid attention on few my trips to london bridge with thameslink)

Nope - Clapham is on the line that goes to Victoria, not London Bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well according to radio this morning, part of this shutdown is Covid related, lack of train crews etc. A new emergency timetable is being introduced January when the line reopens.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Clapham Junction, not "Clapham". The one you refer to is (now) part of the overland network.

Drives us locals mad.

:lolol:

Plus the Northern Line tue stations to confuse tourists even further. I don't think that Clapham Junction is even in Clapham is it? more Battersea as l understand it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Shame that, up to a point anyway, they couldn't co-ordinate some of these closures, and try to complete them at the same time.

Zoom out and you will see that is exactly what they are doing.

I am no fan of Southern and their wafer thin staffing policy, but there is long term benefit to modernising signalling on these lines. It will be an inconvenience for many, for those of us using the West Coast line it will provide extra capacity as the London trains divert via Littlehampton and will make a change from cramming onto three car carriages that were swapped to avoid embarrassing the government at the 2012 Olympics. If they were so shameful they needed to be hidden away in 2012, what are they now?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Queens town road and Vauxhall are open going into Waterloo
Quite why that part of Clapham Junction remains open for SW trains ?
Rail replacement buses I believe will be in place for those stations you mentioned
Yesterday it was showing travel via LondonBridge then Thameslink to BlackFriars then District and circle for Victoria
Alternatively LB then Jubilee to Waterloo and overland to QTR Clapham Junction etc
Northern line closures due from the 15/01/22
Let’s hope they get the signals sorted before then

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Quite remarkable the number of seperate occasions that there have been line closures between London and Brighton over the last few years, sometimes quite lengthy ones.

Not so long ago any engineering work that needed to be carried out could be done either overnight, or solely at weekends. Now it would seem that isn't always the case.

We badly need BML2.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They will move both games to 17:30 on the Saturdays to feck off my wife again!

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Well according to radio this morning, part of this shutdown is Covid related, lack of train crews etc. A new emergency timetable is being introduced January when the line reopens.
someone at the railways knows covid situation in February? Are they advising the government?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Well that's ok because they are only going to put the prices up by 3.8%.

We won't get decent services or prices until the profit factor is removed by taking the whole shebang away from greedy ******** and returning it to public ownership (see also water, gas & electricity)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Queens town road and Vauxhall are open going into Waterloo
Quite why that part of Clapham Junction remains open for SW trains ?
Rail replacement buses I believe will be in place for those stations you mentioned
Yesterday it was showing travel via LondonBridge then Thameslink to BlackFriars then District and circle for Victoria
Alternatively LB then Jubilee to Waterloo and overland to QTR Clapham Junction etc
Northern line closures due from the 15/01/22
Let’s hope they get the signals sorted before then

Thank you, but I couldn't give a flying **** about getting "into" London, I already live here. I always walk to Clapham Junction anyway.

It's getting out that is the question.

If trains aren't going into Victoria, where are they terminating and turning round ?

A complete annoyance to me is there are no direct trains from Balham to East Croydon and haven't been for months. Southern tell me it's because of Covid, but their staff inform me they cut them before the pandemic :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well that's ok because they are only going to put the prices up by 3.8%.

We won't get decent services or prices until the profit factor is removed by taking the whole shebang away from greedy ******** and returning it to public ownership (see also water, gas & electricity)

But those price increases are nothing to do with the franchises walking away with more money. It's about the slow creep of removing the "subsidy".

This is purely ideological because the current administration doesn't like people who don't use trains paying for them.

Well there are tons of things my taxes go on that I don't personally "use" very often, the roads for example (there is no such thing as "road tax") and luckily the NHS. However I understand for the good of society and the economy it's quite a good idea I do.

I do challenge those who think the railways will be fixed by public ownership. Look who would be in charge of them....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here