Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley face competition from Wolves for Ashley Barnes

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Surely this is a very obvious play by his agent. Probably doesn't want to go, but hold out on the contract and when teams start bidding he can angle for another couple of grand a week from us to stay.

Maybe. We'll see. Interesting that Ash has refused to sign the contract extension on offer SO FAR.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Where is this better striker at £0 that we will get in the summer?

We haven't got a ready-made replacement and we won't get one. But that's missing the point. £750k is £750k, zero pounds is zero pounds, and we ARE seeking to comply with FFP.

Who is to say that we arent going to offer a new and improved contract again ? He isnt 100% going anytime soon so there is no reason to cash in.

He will probably stay though, much to the delight of certain NSC posters.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We haven't got a ready-made replacement and we won't get one. But that's missing the point. £750k is £750k, zero pounds is zero pounds, and we ARE seeking to comply with FFP.

750K + a squad minus a player with attributes to get us the goals/points needed to get a top 6 place
v
0K + a player who could be an ingredient in a squad that gets us up to the premier league

Yes, we're seeking to comply with FFP, and the club have said we are on target to do so, before selling Barnes came up. If we're already on course to meet FFP, why sell a player and not replace him with someone who brings those key attributes, when to not do so will likely if not cost us the chance of a top 6 finish, make it incredibly difficult?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
'Refuses to leave'? I think you mean 'decides to stay'.

There's more to running the football club than a quick dirty profit. The fact that the club doesn't want to sell him says to me he figures in the plans for our promotion push. Supposing he was the catalyst in getting us promotion, what would a quick buck at the cost of a promotion push be worth then?

This has Murray MK2 written all over it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Where is this better striker at £0 that we will get in the summer?

You're missing the point. My view is that w need Barnes today and for this season more than we need 750k.

Also it was suggested that we should sell him and buy a new strike for the same money. I'd prefer we keep Barnes. That would be the £0 striker you are looking for.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
You're missing the point. My view is that w need Barnes today and for this season more than we need 750k.

Also it was suggested that we should sell him and buy a new strike for the same money. I'd prefer we keep Barnes. That would be the £0 striker you are looking for.

Bet Paul Barber doesn't share your views.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bet Paul Barber doesn't share your views.

I'm of the view that Paul Barber and Tony Bloom shares TRHK's view on this, as do I, but not you. This is probably because I think that TRHK, Barber and Blooms' analyses of the situation are astuter than yours. I suspect that TRHK and I are of a growing body of posters on NSC that -- whisper this quietly -- think that BOTH Barnes and Barber -- the barbarians -- are A VERY GOOD THING for B&HA.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Agree with this, Barnes is too good to let go now assuming we're not going to get in a decent replacement. Better to keep him until the end but start looking for his replacement now if he is refusing to sign a contract.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Does Tony Bloom have a "cash in now" app on his phone ???

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I don't want Barnes to go and I don't think he will, but how would people feel about using any money got from selling him to get Adam Le Fondre from Reading? He wants to leave apparently...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25577217

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
If he goes for free then we'll need to replace him and how much would that cost? Whereas we take the money now and use it and add to it and get someone better then surely that makes sense due to FFP.
You can find a player to replace him for £750,000 plus we add to that sum (how much in your opinion?)...can you think of anybody who is worth more than Barnes at that price...and that's assuming they would want to come to us...many northern players wish to stay in the north.. then by all means name your candidates...if other clubs have not put in a better offer,they wish to move to move to the Albion and they're better than Barnes I would love to know. Barnes is far better workhorse for the team than most seem to appreciate.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
750K + a squad minus a player with attributes to get us the goals/points needed to get a top 6 place
v
0K + a player who could be an ingredient in a squad that gets us up to the premier league

Yes, we're seeking to comply with FFP, and the club have said we are on target to do so, before selling Barnes came up. If we're already on course to meet FFP, why sell a player and not replace him with someone who brings those key attributes, when to not do so will likely if not cost us the chance of a top 6 finish, make it incredibly difficult?

Is Barnes for 6 months worth £750k + his wages? Maybe. Not my call, but I can imagine the board taking the dosh.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Get £750,000 now purely in order to potentially miss out on tens of millions next season? Of course he doesn't.

Potentially yes but in reality no as we're not good enough.

Thankfully for you, Paul Barber isn't responsible for player acquisition and contracts.

But he's the man who pulls the purse strings and that what Bloom hired him for to get losses down. You think Bloom is just going to go out and require players and sort contracts out without consulting Mr Barber? I think you're very ill formed as My Barber dictates what we have and haven't to spend. Wouldn't you agree old wise one?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

IF he signs his contract extension, THEN Ash becomes the £0 (transfer fee) striker. IF he doesn't, THEN we've thrown £750k plus wages saved up the wall.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Get £750,000 now purely in order to potentially miss out on tens of millions next season? Of course he doesn't.

If we were in the top two and going strong you'd have a point but as it is we are one of a number of teams fighting over probably 2 playoff spots, hardly gambling away 10s of millions.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is Barnes for 6 months worth £750k + his wages? Maybe. Not my call, but I can imagine the board taking the dosh.

It's not just about Barnes. You've said they wouldn't replace him.

If we lost the option of what Barnes brings, either from Barnes or a replacement for him, it will likely cost us more than the 750k and his wages. That is the decision the club has to make - short term gain of 750 gain by selling Barnes and not replacing him, or the longer term (possibly significantly) larger gain of the success Barnes or his replacement being a part of our squad would bring.

I, and I think many fans, and probably Oscar, would be disappointed with the board if they did that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here