Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Not much of a report today because, quite frankly I cannot be arsed.

What I will say is that it was not the most inspiring of performances today apart from Guy Butters & Paul McShane who played well especially in having to cope with Gifton Noel-Williams and Ade Akinbiyi, who are both complete handfulls.

Losing Dean Hammond and Gary Hart was a double blow and sadly Charlie Oatway who took Dean's midfield berth looked below par. Charlie put in some crunching tackles but also managed to give the ball away far too much.

We only really looked dangerous on the break and struggled badly to build up play. This was not helped by Burnley being much like Sheffield United whereby they fouled, pushed and basically bullied themselves around the pitch.

We had a few shots on goal which were either blocked or straight at the keeper. The Clarets had loads of shots but they all went wide and if they had someone who could finish then they probably would have won.

Sebastien Carole was excellent once more and it was his superb cross that saw McShane head home for 1-0.

Not quite sure what their penalty was for and if Mayo was penalised then it was harsh as it looked 50-50. Also about 10 minutes before that a similar incident occurred but the ref gave the decision our way.

Anyway, we should not grumble as we played poorly but still got a draw.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
fair report - Butters and McShane joint mom. Charlie and Kerry off the pace and couldn't adapt to our new style.

Definite penalty - blatant shirt pulling by Mayo.

CKR showed some good touches, sadly Jake didn't trouble Burnley at all.

Jarrett should have done better with a couple of chances (but so should Burnley forwards).

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Gifton Noel-Williams was shit for them today

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A point away from home is better than none. As I broke my glasses on the train , I saw the header go into the net at the far end but thought it was Charlie Oatway who had scored, until my son pointed out that it was Paul McShane who nodded in as Charlie is bald and McShane has ginger hair. As regards to the penalty incident I thought we had been given a free kick for their player being allover Kerry and was flabbergasted when the ref pointed to the spot. There were periods in the game when we weren't coherent and some sloppy passing meant we were under pressure from their front two. We could have won the game in the last 10 minutes with chances from CKR and Leon but at the end of the day we came away with a point - remember we only need to amass enough points to finish at least 4th from bottom to survive. The vocal support from the Albion fans was mainly from us at the back of the stand and the turnout was a bit disappointing but this must be due to Burnley being a difficult place to get to , not only from Sussex but from elsewhere in the country.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Burnley difficult to get to?

It's driveable by ROAD for goodness sake. There are also two nearby TRAIN stations.

I'd go as far to say the turnout was piss-poor and it was a bit embarrassing as we had that large stand to ourselves.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Aint got a car , so we go to matches on the train or coach/bus. Train timetables on the net are crap, e.g. our journey planner said to get the 18.28 from Burnley (Manchester Road) back to Leeds without f***ing mentioning there was one at 17.28 which was running 10 minutes late!. The train from Leeds then waited for a platform at Doncaster so we missed the connection back to Grimsby, waited at Donny for 55 minutes and got back home at 22.30.

P.S. The departure times from Burnley were shown as 16.28 18.28 and 19.28

P.P.S. The away stand was too big considering our following yesterday . How many were there ? From the back of the stand it looked like perhaps 400 + of us.

Last edited:

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
seagullsovergrimsby said:
A point away from home is better than none. As I broke my glasses on the train , I saw the header go into the net at the far end but thought it was Charlie Oatway who had scored, until my son pointed out that it was Paul McShane who nodded in as Charlie is bald and McShane has ginger hair. As regards to the penalty incident I thought we had been given a free kick for their player being allover Kerry and was flabbergasted when the ref pointed to the spot. There were periods in the game when we weren't coherent and some sloppy passing meant we were under pressure from their front two. We could have won the game in the last 10 minutes with chances from CKR and Leon but at the end of the day we came away with a point - remember we only need to amass enough points to finish at least 4th from bottom to survive. The vocal support from the Albion fans was mainly from us at the back of the stand and the turnout was a bit disappointing but this must be due to Burnley being a difficult place to get to , not only from Sussex but from elsewhere in the country.

Were you the bloke behind me who starting chanting: "Charlie Oatway" when we scored?...I turned and looked at you wondering what you were on about and you mentioned something about broken glasse. I then told you it was McShane.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And what the hell has happened to Huddersfield Town ?

Standards are definitely slipping :angry: :angry:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Beach Hut said:
And what the hell has happened to Huddersfield Town ?

Standards are definitely slipping :angry: :angry:

Yup, I for one will be boycotting any future Keegan match reports until sanity is restored. I don't care whether we are home or away Thimble "We're HTFC 'til we die...". Sort it out.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
timbha said:
fair report - Butters and McShane joint mom. Charlie and Kerry off the pace and couldn't adapt to our new style.

Definite penalty - blatant shirt pulling by Mayo.

CKR showed some good touches, sadly Jake didn't trouble Burnley at all.

Jarrett should have done better with a couple of chances (but so should Burnley forwards).
Henderson was MOM for me, with 2 crucial saves in quick succession in the opening exchanges.
He looks a good keeper now and deserves to keep his place ahead of Blayney.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In response to Thimble, yes it was me. Without my glasses on the far end of the pitch is slightly blurred. With my glasses on I was right in saying that Leon got the first goal at Elland Road two weeks ago when others around me didn't know who had scored.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
eastlondonseagull said:
According to the papers, we took off Jake and Albert early on in second half. Any reason? Or were they just crap?

According to the official site we took off Albert twice!! For different players!!!!! Is that allowed??

Ahh, theyve changed the report from last night!

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
KinkyGoebels said:
worst game i have ever seen!

Didn't you go during the Gillingham years then? ???

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
eastlondonseagull said:
According to the papers, we took off Jake and Albert early on in second half. Any reason? Or were they just crap?

Jake just wasn't at the races and was switched to right midfield when Chippy couldn't come out for the second half. It didn't take MM long to realise that Jakey is not a midfielder so bought on Nicolas (maybe Jake had the virus too?)

I think Albi went off because he was a defensive liability and was not contributing enough to attacking to keep him on. I think MM wanted a longer look at Fruity

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here