Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bumper - knock out and fill or replace?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Insurance are paying for wife's car to be fixed. Their recommended garage have given a quote to knock out and fill the damage to the bumper. Is that the most sensible thing to do with this damaged bumper, or should we be demanding that a new bumper is fitted (because bumpers are there for when bumped, and filling will be more prone to future damage)?

Bumper_zpsa5128816.jpg

Thanks

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The corners are meant to pop in like that under impact, the structural part for bigger impacts wont have been damaged so popping it out and repairing the cosmetic damage will be ok :)

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Insurance are paying for wife's car to be fixed. Their recommended garage have given a quote to knock out and fill the damage to the bumper. Is that the most sensible thing to do with this damaged bumper, or should we be demanding that a new bumper is fitted (because bumpers are there for when bumped, and filling will be more prone to future damage)?

Bumper_zpsa5128816.jpg

Thanks

Tupperware!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The corners are meant to pop in like that under impact, the structural part for bigger impacts wont have been damaged so popping it out and repairing the cosmetic damage will be ok :)
Thanks.
Tupperware!
:shrug:
That tyre looks a bit bald
But strangely legal. It has those test notches in some of the tracks, and they were just about ok (bald on the outside edge though). Replaced the tyre today anyway.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Thanks.
But strangely legal. It has those test notches in some of the tracks, and they were just about ok (bald on the outside edge though). Replaced the tyre today anyway.

I was told that the 'test notches' were just one part of a tyres legality, the outside wear would deem your tyre illegal and unsafe.

Just as an aside you are not obliged to use your insurers recommended body shop, you can use which ever one you want.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Thanks.

Look, It's not a boody bumper is it? it's plastic or ,if you like, Tupperware

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Look, It's not a boody bumper is it? it's plastic or ,if you like, Tupperware
Yes, it's plastic, or Tupperware if you like. What's your point?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The tread depth indicators are a guide for the driver, rather than some sort of legal requirement. They're supposed to make you realise when your tyres are worn, as most people don't have a depth gauge or much idea of what 1.6mm looks like.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The tread depth indicators are a guide for the driver, rather than some sort of legal requirement. They're supposed to make you realise when your tyres are worn, as most people don't have a depth gauge or much idea of what 1.6mm looks like.
The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know anything about tyres. But I do love fluffy kittens.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

D

Deleted member 2719

This should fix it.

Attachments

• 80(7).jpg
    80(7).jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 166

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Edges can be bald so long as no cords exposed and central 3/4 is at 1.6mm around the full circumference of the tyre :)

I didn't mention whether they were legal or not but still I'm sure everybody who says they are perfectly ok will be happy to drive in this weather with 100% reliance that they will do their job when they need to the most, but anyway he said they have been replaced.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
i own a bodyshop, we would heat that up and let it pop out then smooth out with filler and paint, job like that with us would be about £150, and yes, as someone else said the choice is totally yours as to where u take your can for repair. The "Big insurance bodyshops" get all these nice over priced jobs, and us little independents struggle for work, whilst charging half the prices of the big boys!

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
P.S also i would say you are perfectly within your rights to request a new bumper, that damage is pretty heavy, and i've seen less damaged panels get replaced. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here