Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bull gets revenge - not for the squeamish

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bullfighting is criticized by many people, including but not limited to animal rights activists, referring to it as a cruel or barbaric blood sport, in which the bull suffers severe stress and a slow, torturous death. A number of animal rights or animal welfare activist groups undertake anti-bullfighting actions in Spain and other countries. In Spanish, opposition to bullfighting is referred to as antitaurina.

Bull dying in a bullfightBullfighting guide The Bulletpoint Bullfight warns that bullfighting is "not for the squeamish," advising spectators to "be prepared for blood." The guide details prolonged and profuse bleeding caused by horse-mounted lancers, the charging by the bull of a blindfolded, armored horse who is "sometimes doped up, and unaware of the proximity of the bull", the placing of barbed darts by banderilleros, followed by the matador's fatal sword thrust. The guide stresses that these procedures are a normal part of bullfighting and that death is rarely instantaneous. The guide further warns those attending bullfights to "Be prepared to witness various failed attempts at killing the animal before it lies down."

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Given the choice I'm sure the bull would rather have one small chance of glory than be carted off and electrocuted at the local Fray Bentos abbatoir...

A 1 in 100 000 chance of " glory ". A slow and humiliating death in a slow torturous manner or a split second bolt to the head. I think it would prefer the later.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If you're a matador,there's always a chance of being caught by the bulls.

...........also if you're a matelot.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Comparing bullfighting to slavery is a little extreme!

Of course it is, it illustrates my point that to say something is ok "because they've always done it" is frankly bollocks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A 1 in 100 000 chance of " glory ". A slow and humiliating death in a slow torturous manner or a split second bolt to the head. I think it would prefer the later.

I disagree. Surely it's better to have an adrenaline-fuelled face-off with some bloke dressed like Julian Clary than be zapped by a spotty Spanish teenager.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Comparing bullfighting to slavery is a little extreme!

Maybe but I think he was pointing out that the "it's always been that way" argument is a daft one.

Let's replace slavery with Badger Baiting then - I would imagine most people would object to Badger Baiting ! Both badger baiting and bull fighting are outdated and cruel - for the EU to allow one of its members to carry on this cruel sport while instead trying to impose pointless rules on fruit and veg beggers belief.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Bullfighting is criticized by many people, including but not limited to animal rights activists, referring to it as a cruel or barbaric blood sport, in which the bull suffers severe stress and a slow, torturous death. A number of animal rights or animal welfare activist groups undertake anti-bullfighting actions in Spain and other countries. In Spanish, opposition to bullfighting is referred to as antitaurina.

Bull dying in a bullfightBullfighting guide The Bulletpoint Bullfight warns that bullfighting is "not for the squeamish," advising spectators to "be prepared for blood." The guide details prolonged and profuse bleeding caused by horse-mounted lancers, the charging by the bull of a blindfolded, armored horse who is "sometimes doped up, and unaware of the proximity of the bull", the placing of barbed darts by banderilleros, followed by the matador's fatal sword thrust. The guide stresses that these procedures are a normal part of bullfighting and that death is rarely instantaneous. The guide further warns those attending bullfights to "Be prepared to witness various failed attempts at killing the animal before it lies down."

How about the barbaric practice of artificially impregnating then aborting thousands of cows a year to produce milk. Or mass slaughter on a barbaric scale in horrific conditions of millions of cows to make shit burgers? If you're squeamish, don't go anywhere near a slaughterhouse let alone a bullring. Just because one's a sport and the others food, it doesn't make it any different.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no doubt the killing of a bull in a bullring is, strictly, not a sanitised "humane" method of execution, but then equally the rearing of a bull expressly for meat then death by electrocution is, arguably, not that civilised either.

And then there's question of castration. I assume the bull in the ring gets to keep his nads, can the same be said of the 'burger' bull?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone who brands bullfighting cruel, but isn't personally adverse to the odd Big Mac or Whopper, is a complete and utter hypocrite.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone who brands bullfighting cruel, but isn't personally adverse to the odd Big Mac or Whopper, is a complete and utter hypocrite.

It this a wind up

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It this a wind up

Nope.
A bull that has been reared for bullfighting has enjoyed a FAR better quality of life than one thats been raised for a Happy Meal.

I'd never want to go and watch a bullfight myself, as clearly the creature suffers on the day before being put out of its misery. But its life leading up to that point will have been infinitely preferable to that of the one who meets his end by a bolt shot through its head from point blank in an abbatoir.

So given the choice, if I had to lead the life of one bull or the other, I'd take the one who ends his days trying to gore a bloke in pink tights rather than the one destined for a bolt to the head.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No, it's a fair comment actually. I've heard it said by many that if people actually saw what went on in an attabroir they wouldn't eat meat after.

As someone who has been to one, I'd say it hasn't put me off. There is a world of difference between a fairly clean and quick dispatch, however unpalatable death is, to a long lingering death for peoples entertainment.

*** Addition *** - just seen Easy's next post - my Uncle owns a farm that raises beef cattle and they actually have a pretty decent life. Roaming round the fields with fresh grass and cattle feed daily. OK, I wouldn't really fancy that final journey but I'd still choose it over some poofter in tights shoving knives in me for hours, nearly bleeding to death and then getting stabbed !

Last edited:

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Nope.
A bull that has been reared for bullfighting has enjoyed a FAR better quality of life than one thats been raised for a Happy Meal.

I'd never want to go and watch a bullfight myself, as clearly the creature suffers on the day before being put out of its misery. But its life leading up to that point will have been infinitely preferable to that of the one who meets his end by a bolt shot through its head from point blank in an abbatoir.

So given the choice, if I had to lead the life of one bull or the other, I'd take the one who ends his days trying to gore a bloke in pink tights rather than the one destined for a bolt to the head.

I totally agree. Drive from Rhonda through the bull country where all the bulls for fights are bred and trained and you'll see they have a great life. Check out comparable conditions for factory farmed beef cows and it will put you off fast food for life. They are bred and die in horrific conditions. And as for Veal calves... Unless you're a vegan you have no right to criticise bullfighting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What happens to the bull when it gets killed? I'd hate to think they get killed and not consequently eaten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here