Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Building at Falmer

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Construction Works at Falmer

Watkin Jones Contractors have now commenced works in the field adjacent to Falmer railway station. They are presently erecting hoardings alongside the footpath from the Station to the staff car park.

As from tonight they will be fencing off the temporary site compound which is to be located within the staff car park in the area previously occupied by the Chlorine Store.

This area will be coned off from tonight with the temporary loss of approximately 12 car spaces.

The land has been sold for the construction of a student halls of residence for use by the University of Sussex.

So.....

Sussex Uni want to build more halls of residence. But I thought the students and village didn't want more buildings and wanted to protect this idyllic rural area!

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The only people that will piss off is the University! We want them on OUR side!

Personally I'd be happy to see Sussex Uni build a campus right IN Falmer!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lammy said:
The only people that will piss off is the University! We want them on OUR side!

Personally I'd be happy to see Sussex Uni build a campus right IN Falmer!

Yes but it shouldn't be one rule for one organisation, and one rule for the other. I am more than happy for Sussex Uni to build extra halls. For a start it might help stabilise or lower house prices in Brighton.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BarrelofFun said:
Yes but it shouldn't be one rule for one organisation, and one rule for the other. I am more than happy for Sussex Uni to build extra halls. For a start it might help stabilise or lower house prices in Brighton.

What outcome do you want then?

They're building at Sussex Uni so we'll drop our fight against the Albion? Not likely.

More likely;

Ahh yes BOF you have a point, let's kick up a fuss about Sussex Uni too!

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No no no. You misunderstand me.

Why should there be no objections to building halls of residence, but objections to a stadium.

If there point is that a stadium will ruin the area, why wouldn't a halls of residence do the same? I am not saying that they will drop their case, but it is a useful point to highlight. Perhaps, it shows that there is a personal vendetta against either Labour or the football club.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
That wasn't meant as a "fixtures" type post by the way. I just thought you might be interested to read what was said about it before.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The first part of the article had all the detail of the building and an artists impression of the development but it appears to have been scrubbed unfortunately.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here