Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Build A Bonfire

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
I've been reading Build A Bonfire on the train into work for the past few days (I bought it when it first came out but haven't ever got round to reading it).

I used to go along to all Goldstone games with my little sister but didn't get involved in the front line of the protests because she was young and I spent my time at the games looking after her. I had forgotten many of the protests during those dark days and it brought memories flooding back. Even after all this time though I couldn't bring myself to look at the photos of the Goldstone after the diggers had moved in.

Some of the protests and activities were so imaginitive and made me feel proud, once again, of the fans who saved our club. I have just read the part of the book about Fans United and I was genuinely moved, almost to tears, by the stories about fans from other clubs who supported the fight that day.

Even though they were traumatic, dark days it did feel good reading back through the history knowing that the fight was won. It was strange though that the old hatred of Archer and Bellotti came back to the surface just by looking at their photos, especially that slimy weasel Bellotti.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I am reading this at the moment too. Up to the goal at Edgar Street right now. The whole book brings back so many memories, and makes you grateful to DK et al that we still have a club to follow.

And also makes you even more full of hate towards Archer, Stanley and Bellotti.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
got a copy for 2.50 at boot fair.........paid 35.00 for another copy signed off ebay. re sold the unsigned one on here....read bits of it now and again

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I've read it. Unbelievable. I'm so thankful to the people who managed to keep this club alive. But in a strange way, I cant help but feel envious of what you lot went through and eventually achieved. Remarkable stuff.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
128.00................i have a signed one..........start bidding pls!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've read it. Unbelievable. I'm so thankful to the people who managed to keep this club alive. But in a strange way, I cant help but feel envious of what you lot went through and eventually achieved. Remarkable stuff.

They really were strange days. You would not believe the furore when The Gulls Eye crew discovered the plan for the sale oif the Goldstone and the proposed move to pompey. At the time it was a bit like a civil war with fan against fan as some just could not believe their club would do such a thing but eventually the actions of those 3 bastards running the club alianated everyone and even the Supporters Club realised how we were all being mugged off.

I remember those early demo's started with just a handfull of fans but grew everymatch. They went from a few chants to harrassing Bellotti, breaking in the ground and seeing the slimy runt, to full scale riots in Newtown Road.

I have the book but have never been able to read it all. One day, when we are at falmer, it won't hurt so much.

Pablo

Jul 8, 2003
Worthing
On the subject of Brighton books...I had a flick through More Than 90 Minutes which never fails to bring a tear to the eye :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here