Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Build a Bonfire: How Football Fans United to Save Brighton and Hove Albion

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
superb book... have to say that 'more than ninety minutes' is my preference....the photographs brilliantly capture the torment and angst of the time and always brings a lump of me throat when i look through it..
-----on the subject of great books..just re-read the two garry nelson ones..left foot forward and left foot in the grave..quality!

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
"Yep, consign it to history. It's never going to happen to anyone else, so there's nothing to be learned from this."

I think you could start an argument in an empty room !Yes mate agreed. Try to learn from history if that's your point, but ultimately, you have to move on and live for the present.

By the way, it probably, sadly, will happen to another club as there is nothing illegal in what archer did ( buying the club which was a company, and selling its most valuable asset, the ground, to make a profit ).As such as Archer could not be stopped, nor will someone else.

It was a nightmare, the Albion were very unlucky to have had archer but we came through it because of the fan base, fantastic people like Dick Knight pumping in money to keep the club afloat and then Tony Bloom paying for the new ground.

Strangely tho' it made us a better and more well respected club. "The Troubles" and the actions of the Albion fans got the Albion a huge amount of credibility and even put us on the map for a while.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
available to rent from any Library (you might have to wait)

There as rare as hens teeth in Library land. I go to Hedge End Library and they had to get mine from Chester Library. Inexplicabley the people that borrow it forget to return the copy they've borrowed!:wrong:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
What about the little woman (probably) who did all the transcribing?!

She got paid more than we did. Honestly, we paid her out of the £1500 pound advance split between two of us, which is the only money we ever got for 3 months work as because it was only a 2000 print run meant we saw nothing after Mainstream had recouped

It still amazes me now the eloquence of those interviews. People speaking from the heart about how much it all meant. Most of them were done in the month after Hereford and I think it was so lucky that we captured the feeling in those weeks before the default football fan pessimism set in.

The only unsubscribable interview was Roy Chuter's which is why he's barely in the book. He insisted on doing it in the Evening Star despite me warning him about background noise and the transcribed version that came back was one of the most surreal bits of writing ever seen but totally unusable.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Out of interest would anyone be able to write a short Wikipedia article and add it for the book? As a co-author if I did it, the hard core Wikipedians would delete it as they don't like people to write their own entries.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The only unsubscribable interview was Roy Chuter's which is why he's barely in the book. He insisted on doing it in the Evening Star despite me warning him about background noise and the transcribed version that came back was one of the most surreal bits of writing ever seen but totally unusable.

Please, let's see them. Sounds superb.

Why doesn't it get reprinted when these copies on eBay always go for so much cash?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Out of interest would anyone be able to write a short Wikipedia article and add it for the book? As a co-author if I did it, the hard core Wikipedians would delete it as they don't like people to write their own entries.

I wrote the review on Amazon :kiss:

Why on earth did Mainstream only print 2000 copies?! It beggars belief! :rant:

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Seriously, I'd love to read the transcript of the Liam Brady interview.

Some interesting facts.

A 2 hour interview with Liam where he drank 4 pints of Kronenburg and lime was cut by a QC to 4 lines! Seriously litigious apparently. Let's say he didn't have alot of time for Archer/Bellotti. Top man though and key figure behind the scenes.

Bob Pinnock cut his one to about the same extent.

NSC contributors include Wozza, KNC, Harty, The History Man, The Henfield One.

I sat in the Grand for 2 hours waiting for Dick Knight who never showed up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some interesting facts.

A 2 hour interview with Liam where he drank 4 pints of Kronenburg and lime was cut by a QC to 4 lines! Seriously litigious apparently. Let's say he didn't have alot of time for Archer/Bellotti. Top man though and key figure behind the scenes.

Bob Pinnock cut his one to about the same extent.

NSC contributors include Wozza, KNC, Harty, The History Man, The Henfield One.

I sat in the Grand for 2 hours waiting for Dick Knight who never showed up.

... and Barry Izbak?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here